Child Seats

Tried this over the weekend and binned the idea. Managed to get them both in but the belts literally clip in under each seat, and I wasn't convinced it was safe. The fact that the front bench is slightly narrower than a regular seat makes it less than ideal. On the plus side, having both kids in the back means they don't continuously change the radio station...

I always thought it was illegal unless there were no back seats?

I don’t think so. You just need to switch the airbag off. Below was grabbed off the net.

“The law requires all children travelling in the front or rear seat of any car, van or goods vehicle must use the correct child car seatuntil they are either 135 cm in height or 12 years old (which ever they reach first). After this they must use an adult seat belt. There are very few exceptions.”

I gave up even with two booster seats. Just too narrow.

Luckily my daughter is 135cm now so we can bin one seat.

I don’t think so. You just need to switch the airbag off. Below was grabbed off the net.

“The law requires all children travelling in the front or rear seat of any car, van or goods vehicle must use the correct child car seatuntil they are either 135 cm in height or 12 years old (which ever they reach first). After this they must use an adult seat belt. There are very few exceptions.”
Yes I googled it after I wrote that comment. Don't know where I got it from, but I wrongly have always thought it was illegal to have kids in the front once the kids car seat law came in.

It’s those TT AND MX5 owners I see convinced me it wasn’t an issue and now with mine up front he loves it - but when the seats go in he’ll behave to go at the back - not looking forward to that argument!!!!

I find it annoying that there is no isofix in a PV but guess VW implying there shouldn’t be kids there or it is a dimension thing

Yes, my two under 4’s are in the front, they love it. The seatbelts strap the seats down from behind, and you’ve just got to make sure it’s pulled very tight.

Airbag is off, but I read it’s only an issue with reverse facing baby seats.

Yes, my two under 4’s are in the front, they love it. The seatbelts strap the seats down from behind, and you’ve just got to make sure it’s pulled very tight.

What car seats do you use?

One's a 'Maxi Cosi Axiss'. It's VERY secure and allows you to tighten the seat belt on a ratchet handle. Not sure how much they are new - we got it from a family member. (just googled - £127.99 from John Lewis)

The other is a 'Joie Elevate'. They're about £60. They've got really good reviews, but they're not quite as secure as the Axiss as they don't have the tightening ratchet. They just rely on the seat-belt being pulled tight and buckled - just the same as when you or I belt up.

They both fir side-by-side.

Back