Check Brake Wear - I Have And...

ahappychappie

T6 Guru
Hi,

After driving for about 10 mins got a dashboard warning "Check Brake Wear".

Van has done 18k miles - was serviced about 4 months ago (mileage was 14k then) - from recollection service report said fronts about 30% worn, rear about 25% worn - I remember both being lowish wear totals.

Looked at the pads myself - seem to have plenty left - popped in at local National Tyres - they said looks like plenty of wear left - could be faulty sensor or they could take wheels off and have a proper look.

Last couple of journeys no warning... Just wondered if anyone had encounter faulty sensors, if they're prone to going faulty etc??

Thanks

Last edited:
I have experienced this, the wear indicators seem to come on when there is still plenty of pad left (i would say at least 20-30%) i assume its to give you ample time to get them changed
I drove mine for a few weeks after the warning came on and there was still plenty of life left when i did eventually change them and interestingly my rears came up within a few weeks of the fronts being done

I have experienced this, the wear indicators seem to come on when there is still plenty of pad left (i would say at least 20-30%) i assume its to give you ample time to get them changed
I drove mine for a few weeks after the warning came on and there was still plenty of life left when i did eventually change them and interestingly my rears came up within a few weeks of the fronts being done

Thanks Pauly - I know VW & National Tyres is just a quick look - but as above max wear on VW report was 30% and guy this morning at NT said lots of wear left, so seems a little odd even if sensor is a bit premature. I'll obv keep my eye on it, if the warning is continuous then looks like they'll need changing, if now and then perhaps its just being a bit too cautious so have some time left yet. Cheers.

My campers regularly do 40k plus and I have never seen a brake warning come on, I guess it all down to driving style. I do know that the '60' reg one that I sold some years ago did need pads shortly after I parted with it.

Think mine was on around 40k when pads were done but it’s a daily town driver and very rarely goes on motorway unless we are going away somewhere so prob not very kind in the brakes

I consider myself light footed - the pads seem to indicate this but not the sensor and that's the bizarre thing, all I can do is see what happens.

Just wondered what prices people paid - VW Manchester website says £165, National Tyres for their 'premium' pads wanted £148 but I have a 20% off, sometimes just wonder what quality is like though even if is meant to be their higher end. Any before anyone suggests - yes I should do it myself - except if you trawl a number of my posts I struggle with simple things like reg plate screw, losing bits down the windscreen void - i.e. I'm best keeping an expert busy!

I did my fronts about 6 weeks ago, and my rears two weeks ago, changing just the pads. (about 35k for both sets)
I went for EBC because of the less dust claim. My experience: They are no less dusty than genuine, very noisy after heavy braking, and get awful brake fade if over using them. I am a heavy braker at times, and do play around in my T6 now and again out in the sticks, and where possible, and because of this, i'd be going genuine next time. (I cannot wait for these to wear out frankly)

I fit them myself, and have all the right kit to do so (rears need special wind back kits) but at the prices you've quoted, i'd be going VW personally, unless you ever venture past Leicester, then i'd fit them for free.

An interesting note. The rear sensor wire is on the inside pad, and came on with me, but a quick look through the wheel showed them being fine. It was only when I removed the rear wheels, I could see the inside pad on both sides were worn far more than the outside pads.
In other words, VW might of looked at the inside pad whilst it was on the ramp, where as National Tyres might of looked at the outside pad through the wheel.

Last edited:
Back