Chassis Notch

Tom Benn

Has anyone got pictures of there chassis notchs? Think drive shaft is rubbing when going round roundabouts.

Many thanks

If the van is too low its probably the drive shaft warning you its about to break ?? the shaft is being stretched in cornering and the CV cages will break

Outside of the Lowdown Transporter link above which is no longer available can anybody shed any light on notching the front suspension of my T6 T32 which is on air?

I want the front wheels to drop to match the rears, see attached images of current front and rears dropped.

Cheers for any help as there is nothing I can find online.

Rear fully aired out
51E42EF8-73C9-416E-A899-3BCB7F5AEDD8.jpeg
Front fully aired out
F6EA2F88-7F79-413D-A8CB-4B0DB226F631.jpeg

Can’t you programme the air system to simply lower the back to match the front? Messing with cutting the chassis sounds way too drastic to us, We seem to be getting a few requests to restore modified chassis after air removal Lately, also are you sure it’s the chassis that needs modding. How can you be sure the front struts aren’t maxed out . .? If they are it simply won’t go lower

Last edited by a moderator:
Outside of the Lowdown Transporter link above which is no longer available can anybody shed any light on notching the front suspension of my T6 T32 which is on air?

I want the front wheels to drop to match the rears, see attached images of current front and rears dropped.

Cheers for any help as there is nothing I can find online.

Rear fully aired out
View attachment 147271
Front fully aired out
View attachment 147272
I'm not sure it's the chassis in the way on this one bud. I've seen lower at the front without chassis mods. As you're already running ABP, it might be worth a chat with the boys at Plush. I was talking to them a few weeks back and they now offer a T32 front strut that is shorter than their standard one, specifically for people who want to get lower than the original T32 ABP kit could allow. Not sure if it uses the same bags, but if it does you could just look to swap the struts out.

I'm not sure it's the chassis in the way on this one bud. I've seen lower at the front without chassis mods. As you're already running ABP, it might be worth a chat with the boys at Plush. I was talking to them a few weeks back and they now offer a T32 front strut that is shorter than their standard one, specifically for people who want to get lower than the original T32 ABP kit could allow. Not sure if it uses the same bags, but if it does you could just look to swap the struts out.
Hey Chris, thanks for this mate. I will give Plush a call re the shorter struts.

Last edited:
Spoke with Plush, we got talking about tyres and the tyre I have on is bottoming out on my arch hence not dropping lower. Only option I have is dropping tyres size to 235/35/R20 92Y.

I know before it’s said that these aren’t load rated for a T32 however after speaking with an MOT inspector he told me the van would pass as I have to bear in mind that the 103Y rating is based on max load on the van axles.

Food for thought.

Spoke with Plush, we got talking about tyres and the tyre I have on is bottoming out on my arch hence not dropping lower. Only option I have is dropping tyres size to 235/35/R20 92Y.

I know before it’s said that these aren’t load rated for a T32 however after speaking with an MOT inspector he told me the van would pass as I have to bear in mind that the 103Y rating is based on max load on the van axles.

Food for thought.
I would do a bit of checking. I think that is misinformation.

Food for thought.
Hi @Texxaco

I wouldn't go to 92Y and I reckon you'd fail an MOT too. Even if you did pass the MOT, you could leave yourself a bit exposed if you ever, heavens forbid, the subject of an accident investigation. You might even invalidate your insurance.

Sorry to be a doom monger!!!

Food for thought.
That makes some sense about the tyre size. One possible option that would keep the load rating is to run a 245/40. 8mm less sidewall height and narrower too, so might help you get a little bit lower when aired out than you are now. Whether that's enough for you or not only you can decide though! It's also a very specific tyre option because there is only one 245/40 20 that is 103 load rated and it's from Nankang, the AS-2+ (also available in 99 rating, but can be found as a 103).

Another option would be to downplate the van to T30 so you could run 101 rated tyres.

Another option would be to downplate the van to T30 so you could run 101 rated tyres.
You can do that, and if so what are the consequences bar not being able to carry the T32 load. Not that I do that anyway.

That makes some sense about the tyre size. One possible option that would keep the load rating is to run a 245/40. 8mm less sidewall height and narrower too, so might help you get a little bit lower when aired out than you are now. Whether that's enough for you or not only you can decide though! It's also a very specific tyre option because there is only one 245/40 20 that is 103 load rated and it's from Nankang, the AS-2+ (also available in 99 rating, but can be found as a 103).
Cheers Chris, a font of knowledge as per the norm mate.

Spoke with my insurance company this morning re tyre load ratings on a T32 and the confirmed they do not take into account the load rating of the van is being used as passenger vehicle. The things they look at are the tyres the right fit for the wheels, in good working order and safe to be on the road.

I would not have my insurance void if I have lower load rating tyres on my T32. This is now on record on my policy after discussing with my insurance underwriter

Spoke with my insurance company this morning re tyre load ratings on a T32 and the confirmed they do not take into account the load rating of the van is being used as passenger vehicle. The things they look at are the tyres the right fit for the wheels, in good working order and safe to be on the road.

I would not have my insurance void if I have lower load rating tyres on my T32. This is now on record on my policy after discussing with my insurance underwriter
Hi Pete I have had vans all my life and have found that the lower the tyre rating the worse the feel and handling especially in bends and roundabouts, just something else to consider.
Dave.

The same may not apply to an accident investigation team if the worst were to happen or a check by VOSA. I guess as long as you know the risks. Out of interest have you had the van weighed at each axel as heavy as you would load it and compared to the tyres?

The same may not apply to an accident investigation team if the worst were to happen or a check by VOSA. I guess as long as you know the risks. Out of interest have you had the van weighed at each axel as heavy as you would load it and compared to the tyres?
No but it’s on the radar though.

Back