Changing OEM Swivel base for OEM height adjustable base?

Nick_T32_LWB

VIP Member
Howdy, long time lurker, joined in Nov22 with my new to me T6 Kombi. Driver seat has the OEM swivel base, never going to used and I just don't like lack of height adjustment.

I found a few new/used OEM height adjustable bases online - 7E0 881 618 B (image below) - is it feasible to change the OEM swivel base and replace with the height adjustable frame? Understanding that I will need new trims/plastics
s-l64.jpg
Have trawled the forum and general trend is that majority go the other way around. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, you can do that, unbolt the swivel and replace with the height adjuster.

Howdy, long time lurker, joined in Nov22 with my new to me T6 Kombi. Driver seat has the OEM swivel base, never going to used and I just don't like lack of height adjustment.

I found a few new/used OEM height adjustable bases online - 7E0 881 618 B (image below) - is it feasible to change the OEM swivel base and replace with the height adjustable frame? Understanding that I will need new trims/plastics
View attachment 191461
Have trawled the forum and general trend is that majority go the other way around. Thanks in advance.
Or maybe do a swap with someone on here who's after a swivel. You could swap plastics too!

Or maybe do a swap with someone on here who's after a swivel. You could swap plastics too!
Thanks @Deaky for the confirmation and options, much appreciated. I'll probably get the height adjustable base, plastics and keep my self entertained for an hour - would think that I could cover majority of cost with sale of OEM swivel base.

Thanks @Deaky for the confirmation and options, much appreciated. I'll probably get the height adjustable base, plastics and keep my self entertained for an hour - would think that I could cover majority of cost with sale of OEM swivel base.
Did you get this done? Looking at doing same thing myself if I can find a t6 non swivel seat base.

So are we saying you can take a factory T6 drivers swivel seat and remove the swivel mechanism and replace it with a height adjustable one, all OEM?.
I only ask because I was told it was impossible to do and I would have to change/swap the seat

So are we saying you can take a factory T6 drivers swivel seat and remove the swivel mechanism and replace it with a height adjustable one, all OEM?.
I only ask because I was told it was impossible to do and I would have to change/swap the seat
@s3swiss , @Peatey - Yes easy swap out of the OEM swivel base and replace with an OEM height adjustable version - remove complete seat, 2xnuts/2x bolts then 4x bolts for seatbase, 4x bolts for the back rest, 1x bolt for seat belt and transfer over - new plastics required - I got a height adjustable seat base from ebay complete with runners and a set of plastic trims including handle, all in for approx. £310 and 45 minutes of my time.

So much better if you don't want or need the swivel - much better driving position IMO.

@s3swiss , @Peatey - Yes easy swap out of the OEM swivel base and replace with an OEM height adjustable version - remove complete seat, 2xnuts/2x bolts then 4x bolts for seatbase, 4x bolts for the back rest, 1x bolt for seat belt and transfer over - new plastics required - I got a height adjustable seat base from ebay complete with runners and a set of plastic trims including handle, all in for approx. £310 and 45 minutes of my time.

So much better if you don't want or need the swivel - much better driving position IMO.
Thanks for that.
I cant use the swivel because of the kitchen layout and the seat sits to high for driving, so I will start my search for the bits

Last edited:

Hi Nick, would you consider selling the swivel seat bas? Do you Know if it would fit passenger seat?
Thanks Lee

Hi Nick, would you consider selling the swivel seat bas? Do you Know if it would fit passenger seat?
Thanks Lee
I might well be doing the same mod to remove the swivel from drivers side - I’m 6’4” and I’m hitting my head off the roof as I can’t drop the seat ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

only had the van a few weeks, so not actually tried swivelling the seats as it seems to be a faff to get them lined up just right to swivel, but would suspect the driver and passenger sides are different as they rotate in opposite directions? Dunno, but I’m sure will be a forum member who knows more

Yeah, you can do that, unbolt the swivel and replace with the height adjuster.
Hi deaky
Do you happen to know how you remove the OEM swivel seat assembly from the seat I need to separate the base and back of the chair to fit heated elements any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Hi deaky
Do you happen to know how you remove the OEM swivel seat assembly from the seat I need to separate the base and back of the chair to fit heated elements any advice would be greatly appreciated?
Seat base stripping.
View attachment 60679

View attachment 60680

View attachment 60681

View attachment 60682

View attachment 60683

View attachment 60684

View attachment 60687

And the damage itself.
View attachment 60685

View attachment 60690

My cushion upholstery part number.
View attachment 60686

And actual heating element part number. Not possible to buy on it's own!
View attachment 60691

And my temporary seating during repair.:D
View attachment 60688

View attachment 60689

To be continued ...
Hopefully this will help

Back