Change wheels size

DT04

Hi Folks,

Please forgive me if this is a silly question. I've jumped on the VW camper bandwagon and decided to purchase an Ex AA van for a conversion. The van im getting is a T6 67 plate (T32) has the standard wheels (assume 15in) and i wanted to know if i could replace these with 18in wheels used from T6 sportline wheels. Size of wheel are 255 45Z R18.

Clearly i dont want to purchase if these wont fit.

Thanks in advance and go easy on me if really is a silly question.

Yes as long as the wheel has the correct load rating or above marked on it just incase it's a Sportline lookalike.
Tyres will need to be 103 rated too.

Hello,

I have been searching, but I dont find the information.

I want to change the wheels from 16' to 18' and I was wondering, if I need to buy something else to keep same height as I had with the smallers wheels (16') and I want to keep the van under 2.1M. Otherwise I can use my garage. Thanks.

Best regards,

If you're going up a wheel size then you need to bring the wheel profile down or lower the van to keep the same height. When looking at tyre sizes you will get a number like this: 255/45R18 103T - the number after the '/' is the aspect ratio which is a percentage of the tyre width so in this example the 45 means tyre profile is 45% of the tyre width. It's a bit confusing but the lower the number the lower the profile. Hope that helps

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. So I understand I dont need to change the springs or anything else to keep the same profile as I have now right?

Do you think this wheel can fit? LCV Llanta de aleación 18" If i am not mistaking this is the arcaju model.

I want to put all season winter (even I am from Spain), as my intention is going to Switzerland next winter. I am thinking michelin crossclimate 2, but I dont know which serie/number. (e.g 255/45R18 103T).

Btw I will go to mechanical workshop to install it, but I want to know as much as possible to make sure they do their job properly.

Thanks for the info. So I understand I dont need to change the springs or anything else to keep the same profile as I have now right?

Do you think this wheel can fit? LCV Llanta de aleación 18" If i am not mistaking this is the arcaju model.

I want to put all season winter (even I am from Spain), as my intention is going to Switzerland next winter. I am thinking michelin crossclimate 2, but I dont know which serie/number. (e.g 255/45R18 103T).

Btw I will go to mechanical workshop to install it, but I want to know as much as possible to make sure they do their job properly.
Nice looking wheels yes you don't necessarily need to change the springs to keep the same height, you could potentially just us a lower profile tyre. But difficult to be specific without knowing your current setup (what van, current tyres etc..). But if you are getting them fitted at a workshop, then explain that you would like an all weather low profile tyre to keep a similar overall height and they will be able to advise if it's possibe

Hello,

I have checked my van certificate and the current wheels are 215/65 R16C 106/104T. Additionaly checking the certificate I can put the following one: 255/45 R18 103H XL.

So do you think I can keep the van's height? Thank you.

Your current wheels are 685.9mm diameter. Your new wheels would be 686.7mm diameter. Practically the same. Your van will sit 0.4mm higher :cry:

Hi,

Thank you for the answers.

It is not about the toll, its about I park my van in a garaje and only 2 or 3 cm left from my van to the garaje door that why I wanted to keep the height down. Sometimes if I take the exit too fast, even it touches the garaje door, luckly the down part of the door is rubbed.

Will we have any issue with the width¿ (255) that the new tyre will touch any part of the van¿ Thanks

Best regards,

Back