Carpeting barn doors/sliding door, yay, nay and if so how have you done it?

Cb83

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Considering carpeting my barn doors and sliding door, anyone have any experience doing so? Good or bad comments welcome.

Just the panels, not the painted parts.

I use the original VW panels trimmed with carpet and fix them with the original trim clips, in my case a dark carpet trim with the contrasting lighter trim clips. Each to his own I know.

Yeah, I've done the panels in ply with hidden clips and I'm happy with them, just wondered if anyone had covered the metal, I seem to think it would compromise doors shutting or have heard of problems with water, but don't remember where I read that.

Just the panels here too. Getting a clean line on the metal parts against the door seals is hard work, and how much do you actually look at that bit of the van ?

Pete

Considering carpeting my barn doors and sliding door, anyone have any experience doing so? Good or bad comments welcome.

@Cb83 i done my barn doors and slider paintwork started by 1st drawing a tight line around seal with the doors closed i did't use a edging strip and found its hard to get a clean cut line but it will do for me and stops any condensation forming on the bare paint .

the slider was a bit more awkward with the limited space if i used a blade its cutting into the paintwork... sharp thin scissors but then its tough cutting the carpet with them and hard getting a straight cut its a fiddly Job but was my 1st time ever done lining

all i can say is don't glue round the edges cut over size shut the doors and mark the carpet then carefully cut then glue if you slightly over cut a bit it will stretch and gives you another try

also i used dark Blue carpet was hard to see the marking lines shame there's not a template out there to cut then glue the whole carpet panel in less you can make one

others i seen on U tube have run a rubber trim for the clean edge look of the carpet

but there's no cold spots in the back of my van hope that helps you a bit

Nick

@Cb83 i done my barn doors and slider paintwork started by 1st drawing a tight line around seal with the doors closed i did't use a edging strip and found its hard to get a clean cut line but it will do for me and stops any condensation forming on the bare paint .

the slider was a bit more awkward with the limited space if i used a blade its cutting into the paintwork... sharp thin scissors but then its tough cutting the carpet with them and hard getting a straight cut its a fiddly Job but was my 1st time ever done lining

all i can say is don't glue round the edges cut over size shut the doors and mark the carpet then carefully cut then glue if you slightly over cut a bit it will stretch and gives you another try

also i used dark Blue carpet was hard to see the marking lines shame there's not a template out there to cut then glue the whole carpet panel in less you can make one

others i seen on U tube have run a rubber trim for the clean edge look of the carpet

but there's no cold spots in the back of my van hope that helps you a bit

Nick

Cheers for that, I think this is what I'll end up doing, nice tip with not spraying the edges, trimming and stretching, I seem to think folding them over is a good option, so will probably go with that.

Cheers for that, I think this is what I'll end up doing, nice tip with not spraying the edges, trimming and stretching, I seem to think folding them over is a good option, so will probably go with that.

you can practice on off cuts a fold would look neat but be 8mm thick but would stop any drafts at the seals

quality dress makers scissors would be best for cutting long straight cuts let us know how you get on

Nick

Good point, didn't think about the finished thickness, I will have a practice first though

Looking at the weather I might be getting the tarp out, or postponing the job, will put up some pics once done though.

Back