Carpet lining trim clip holes: can I use an electric soldering iron in the van?

Sparkyis

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi folks just wondering if anyone can answer this question- I’m hoping the response will be “go ahead, there are no risks to the van and it’s electrics” LOL!

So, carpet lining is going very well, the soldering iron is perfect for burning holes in the carpeted panels but is it ok to use it to burn holes through the van’s carpet lining to free up the trim clip holes? It is obviously a mains powered soldering iron… sharp knife/ scalpel isn’t great for these small holes and the soldering iron is super fast and neat….

Looking forward to your responses, thanks in advance!

Well, there are multiple points of isolation going on....your vehicle is in no way connected to the mains of your house and its rubber tyres are isolating it from the ground.
Additionally, your soldering iron tip is also electrically isolated from the mains by virtue of the soldering irons design.

so, i can see no reason why this would be a problem.

I used an appropriate sized hole punch and an appropriate sized hammer onto a sacrificial block of wood (before fitting the panels)

Thanks for all the replies!

Before all these answers arrived I couldn’t wait so fired up the camping stove and heated an Allen key as someone in another thread suggested…. It worked really well but meant I had to keep jumping in and out of the van to re- heat

I still have the 2 rearmost panels and roof to do so I will get the extension lead out and do the rest the quick easy way.

Once again, I really appreciate the advice from everyone, particularly @sparkzer that’s why I love this forum!

Back