Caravelle Upper Front Grill

DPS

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi everyone. I am interested in buying a Caravelle Upper Front Grill from the forum shop, however I notice that firms such as Vanstyle sell chrome trims to fix to the existing radiator grill, as well as to the lower grill (Vanstyle , VW T6 Stainless Steel Polished Front Upper + Lower Grille Trim £56.15) These trims appear to to give the same look to the existing grill as a Caravelle grill. What I would appreciate advice on is this - once these trims are fitted is the grill different to the Caravelle grill in any other way, are they easy to fit, and what is the quality like?
I have a Highline T6.
Many thanks

I fitted a lower grill trim this week. They are made from polished stainless steel so are more than up to the task, to fit just clean the grill with some alcohol wipes, warm with a hairdryer then peel off the tape from the pre applied 3M strip and apply, simple

IMG_2721.JPG

I fitted a lower grill trim this week. They are made from polished stainless steel so are more than up to the task, to fit just clean the grill with some alcohol wipes, warm with a hairdryer then peel off the tape from the pre applied 3M strip and apply, simple

View attachment 11062
Hi, Many thanks for this. Looks very good. Did you buy it from Vanstyle? Any thoughts about the Upper Grill?

Yes from Vanstyle, personally I don't like the upper grill trim but that's just me, I'm odd at the best of times. It is made exactly the same as the lower one so it should fit just the same and be of the same quality which was fine

Yes from Vanstyle, personally I don't like the upper grill trim but that's just me, I'm odd at the best of times. It is made exactly the same as the lower one so it should fit just the same and be of the same quality which was fine
Does that mean you don't like the Caravelle Grill either, or do you mean you just don't like the Vanstyle trims?

Does that mean you don't like the Caravelle Grill either, or do you mean you just don't like the Vanstyle trims?
Just the upper grill trim, just me don't worry about it, the Vanstyle trims were I thought very good value, if I like the upper one I would just get another without hesitation

Just the upper grill trim, just me don't worry about it, the Vanstyle trims were I thought very good value, if I like the upper one I would just get another without hesitation
Thank you, all that is very helpful. Your van looks nice and sparkly!

I have fitted the Vanstyle upper and lower trims. I think they are good value for money - the upper trims don't look any different from the OEM trim fitted to Highlines.
Buy from their eBay shop - I found the postage to be appreciably cheaper this way.

I have fitted the Vanstyle upper and lower trims. I think they are good value for money - the upper trims don't look any different from the OEM trim fitted to Highlines.
Buy from their eBay shop - I found the postage to be appreciably cheaper this way.
Many thanks for this advice.

The caravelle front grille has an additional chrome strip at the very top where it meets the bonnet

The caravelle front grille has an additional chrome strip at the very top where it meets the bonnet
Thanks Pauly, in that case VeeDub Transporters sells a four piece chrome grill trim set that includes the extra row for only £39.99. This seems to me to be a much cheaper option than buying a whole new OEM Caravelle grill. Or am I missing something?

Take look at this photo you may be able to see the details on the sportline/caravelle upper grill, they have chrome details with black gloss and black gloss bottom rail. You will have to remove the front bumper to install the grill also.
full?d=1499886697.jpg

Last edited:
Take look at this photo you may be able to see the details on the sportline/caravelle upper grill, they have chrome details with black gloss and black gloss bottom rail.
View attachment 11088
This photo is very helpful thank you. There is no doubt that the OEM Caravelle grill looks classy, but I am now wondering if it is worth paying an extra £170 over and above the cost of chrome trims from either VeeDub Transporters or Vanstyle to achieve 'the look' As I suffer from OCD it is not an easy decision!

The Caravelle grill is very sleek, with gloss black edging and inserts, which makes it look much higher quality than the Highline grill. I have juts purchased one and will be changing it soon, rather than adding chrome.

A few things to consider are:

1. You will need to remove the front bumper to fit the caravelle grille. (It may be worth considering other jobs to do whilst its off....not sure what though).

2. If you fit the genuine caravelle grille your OCD may not like the fact that the upper grill is gloss and the lower grills aren't! (Maybe a job to do whilst the bumper is off would be to get the lower black trims sprayed gloss black).

3. Simply adding the chrome trims is cheaper, but will your OCD really be happy with you just adding chrome bits to a standard grill.

4. The caravelle grille (or adding chrome trim) can look different depending on whether you have standard or LED lights. The chrome inside the light housings are different on both lights!

I'm pretty sure those points would've now made the decision slightly harder......o_O

I've been dithering over this for some time, pretty much decided on adding the grille strips, but unsure whether to go for genuine or aftermarket lower strip !

The Caravelle grill is very sleek, with gloss black edging and inserts, which makes it look much higher quality than the Highline grill. I have juts purchased one and will be changing it soon, rather than adding chrome.

A few things to consider are:

1. You will need to remove the front bumper to fit the caravelle grille. (It may be worth considering other jobs to do whilst its off....not sure what though).

2. If you fit the genuine caravelle grille your OCD may not like the fact that the upper grill is gloss and the lower grills aren't! (Maybe a job to do whilst the bumper is off would be to get the lower black trims sprayed gloss black).

3. Simply adding the chrome trims is cheaper, but will your OCD really be happy with you just adding chrome bits to a standard grill.

4. The caravelle grille (or adding chrome trim) can look different depending on whether you have standard or LED lights. The chrome inside the light housings are different on both lights!

I'm pretty sure those points would've now made the decision slightly harder......o_O
This is brilliant thank you, it spells out all the fors and againsts. I haven't got the van yet!! Build date is w/c 14th August and headlights are LED. Maybe, on a brand new vehicle I should go for the genuine Caravelle grill.....or should I go for the trims? ((T32 SWB Kombi Highline, gestation period 4 months).

Back