Caravelle seats in Kombi

Roobop

Hi everyone
We are trying to decide whether to have Caravelle seats put in our kombi, or to sell the Kombi if we are able to find a Caravelle with a similar spec to what we have now. Our van is already carpet lined so it would be a case of getting the floor/tracks fitted and purchasing the seats, which I think will cost approximately 4K in total. Or is it better to just put that money towards buying a Caravelle, with the advantage of having air conditioning in the rear? Our current van is lovely with a decent spec, and drives like a dream, so we definitely do not want to sell it in haste.
Can I ask if any of you have been through the same thought process, and if so, what final decision you came to and why?
Also do you think there are any disadvantages in terms of resale if the seats have been changed in a KombI?
We are new to all this so would really appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Initially I was looking at buying a Kombi and doing a part Caravelle conversion. By the time I'd added up all the costs, plus all the extras that the Caravelle Exec has as standard (which I would have undoubtedly added as time went on) it made most sense to buy the thing that I was thinking of building to begin with.

I don't think that there are any disadvantages of selling an 'upgraded' van if you do decide to go the other way. It's unlikely that you'll see all of the money back, but it should be welcomed by potential buyers. But like I often say to clients when I've got my architects hat on, don't get too hung up on future values. You are extending / altering your house for your own benefit, not any potential future owner.

Hardly conclusive, but ultimately only you can decide how to spend your money.

Initially I was looking at buying a Kombi and doing a part Caravelle conversion. By the time I'd added up all the costs, plus all the extras that the Caravelle Exec has as standard (which I would have undoubtedly added as time went on) it made most sense to buy the thing that I was thinking of building to begin with.

I don't think that there are any disadvantages of selling an 'upgraded' van if you do decide to go the other way. It's unlikely that you'll see all of the money back, but it should be welcomed by potential buyers. But like I often say to clients when I've got my architects hat on, don't get too hung up on future values. You are extending / altering your house for your own benefit, not any potential future owner.

Hardly conclusive, but ultimately only you can decide how to spend your money.
Thanks very much for replying. I am very much of the same mind think as you in terms of not necessarily looking to recoup the costs if we have enjoyed the benefit, I was more worried about having a vastly reduced market in terms of who would want to buy the van if we took the standard Kombi seats out. As I say we are very new to this so a bit ignorant as to what type of vans sell.

A lot of the Caravelle seat conversions we do in Kombis are for people wanting to run a van through the business, as a van, but Caravelle seating - Therefore being taxed as a van. However, you don't get all the nice panelling or rear air-con.

I have a kombi converted Caravelle van and have been in Spain in the middle of summer, and haven't overly missed the rear air-con, the front just needs to be on all the time.

Pro and cons for each I suppose

A lot of the Caravelle seat conversions we do in Kombis are for people wanting to run a van through the business, as a van, but Caravelle seating - Therefore being taxed as a van. However, you don't get all the nice panelling or rear air-con.

I have a kombi converted Caravelle van and have been in Spain in the middle of summer, and haven't overly missed the rear air-con, the front just needs to be on all the time.

Pro and cons for each I suppose
Thanks very much for the reply. We did think that it may be the tax benefits that swayed the decision for many people to do a conversion, but unfortunately the tax benefits no longer apply now that the Kombi is classed as a car by the HMRC. So bearing that in mind it may make more sense for us to trade in for a Caravelle.
We also drive to Spain a couple of times a year, so it is interesting to read your thoughts on the air conditioning.

First post one here, but looking to buy a T6 to replace a 2015 California Beach.

not intending on going down the cally route again so have looking at a Kombi or 2 for about 2 Months, I’ve narrowed it down to one or 2 over that period BUT they are selling so fast with the right spec, LED’s, heated seats, comfort dash,

I’ve been on the VW used locator and can’t quite pin down the right dash, heated seats and the LED’s. All of which seem to start at £36,000 + VAT.

I've taken into account on one that it will require LED’s ! The retro fit price is astronomical ! In another it had the dash and LED’s but NO heated seats ! To do properly is at least £1,500 ! As the OP has suggested fitting the Caravelle seats into a Kombi is a fortune !! Then there’s the lack of trim and I can’t see the point of spending thousands on nice and having basic vibrating bog standard trim. The work to fit these seats and the brackets and drilling alone is a mammoth undertaking.

I then searched for a Caravelle, as you have found it’s got the lot ! And for reasons unbeknown to me they are cheaper with all that, newer with 204 engine, dynamic suspension etc than a basic van before the tax is added on to a Kombi !

I’v just offered on a Caravelle that’s got everything I want plus the Palmerston Alloys !! Basically they can’t sell it ! Everyone wants Vans according to the salesman and then spends a fortune speccing them up? I doubt I’ll get it for what I offered but at least I can concentrate on 1 rather than keep trying to ring round deciding which one best fits my spec,

must taken mea while to work my way round to Caravelle, but for what they offer against a Van, and coming from a well specced beach that I’ve sold for a silly price it’s a no brainier......

Hopefully I’ll be able to post a pic of the Caravelle once we can agree a price ?

If a Kombi is properly insulated the standard air con in the cab will deal with the rear of the van IMO.

Definitely worth the time and effort to make sure your van has the spec you desire. I spent months looking, put a deposit down on the van I though at the time was the perfect spec only to find a better van the day before I went to pick up the original.

My advice is just because you think you have the right van don’t stop looking as you never know what’s going to appear online.

First post one here, but looking to buy a T6 to replace a 2015 California Beach.

not intending on going down the cally route again so have looking at a Kombi or 2 for about 2 Months, I’ve narrowed it down to one or 2 over that period BUT they are selling so fast with the right spec, LED’s, heated seats, comfort dash,

I’ve been on the VW used locator and can’t quite pin down the right dash, heated seats and the LED’s. All of which seem to start at £36,000 + VAT.

I've taken into account on one that it will require LED’s ! The retro fit price is astronomical ! In another it had the dash and LED’s but NO heated seats ! To do properly is at least £1,500 ! As the OP has suggested fitting the Caravelle seats into a Kombi is a fortune !! Then there’s the lack of trim and I can’t see the point of spending thousands on nice and having basic vibrating bog standard trim. The work to fit these seats and the brackets and drilling alone is a mammoth undertaking.

I then searched for a Caravelle, as you have found it’s got the lot ! And for reasons unbeknown to me they are cheaper with all that, newer with 204 engine, dynamic suspension etc than a basic van before the tax is added on to a Kombi !

I’v just offered on a Caravelle that’s got everything I want plus the Palmerston Alloys !! Basically they can’t sell it ! Everyone wants Vans according to the salesman and then spends a fortune speccing them up? I doubt I’ll get it for what I offered but at least I can concentrate on 1 rather than keep trying to ring round deciding which one best fits my spec,

must taken mea while to work my way round to Caravelle, but for what they offer against a Van, and coming from a well specced beach that I’ve sold for a silly price it’s a no brainier......

Hopefully I’ll be able to post a pic of the Caravelle once we can agree a price ?

I think you’ve probably realised by now that the T6 market is over priced for what is generally a commercial vehicle with nasty plastic trim. It is what it is though.
I would have taken the van without the heated seats and if after owning it you still feel you want them look out for some secondhand ones. The originals have a good re-sale price and it isn’t a complicated job to exchange them.

i know what your saying with the heated seats, my concern was not getting the factory finish, or constantly putting it off until next month and the month after......

As for the air con, I understand the air con can cool down the interior, and one or two I looked at had the plastic bulkhead which would aid cooling and heating, but on the cold days at the coast in the van we have just sold the night heater would heat up the rear space from the B and C pillar, without having to sit with the engine running choking itself up.

I’ve litterally just upped my offer in a last ditch attempt to get my itchy fingers on the Caravelle !! The layout on the dash is the same as my Wife’s Tiggy and the Piano black dash with the aluminium snakeskin effect trim is some how making the proposition much more appealing !

the Alcantara seats are also a selling point as I had intended having the cloth covered in leather as some of the interiors I have seen in some Kombis are stunning !!
And yes the T6 Vans are looking over priced to me, the salesman actually said they have always dealt with Electricians, plumbers, builders etc, now they are selling more to families selling Volvo estates to buy T6’s and converting them using You Tube as a guide, as a result the prices have increased making the Caravelle seem cheap in comparison ?

at the minute the Palmerston alloys are a bit hit and miss, I suppose I’ll have to see them in the flesh before I decide on whether or not they suit the Van?

If you need a heater it’s not a big cost to install an aftermarket Diesel heater. If you need the heater to run overnight then you’ll also need a leisure battery.
The advantage of not having a bulkhead is being able to move around the van without getting out in the rain.

Back