Caravelle 2012 rear bench seat wont fold backwards into bed !

Robbo

Just joined hoping for expertise ! I have 2012 Caravelle, but cannot for love nor money fold rear bench seat flat backwards. I have seen this discussed on this forum and many other sites...but still no joy. Seat base only lifts inch or two at front, and seems to catch/lock on under frame i guess. Cant see a thing in such small space and dont know how to remove the seat pad to see mechanism underneath. Any help much appreciated....maybe my one doesnt convert like that...as cant see it detailed in manual ?
Cheers

Fully pull out the handle at the front and the seat rear will release and move backwards slightly. Then lift up the bottom cushion at the front and at the same time push the seat rear away from you.

There is almost a two stage pull on the handle at the front and I guess you're not pulling it out far enough. Maybe try pulling the seat back towards you first before pulling the lever.

Reactions: XZO
Thanks Deaky...had already tried that..with force...but will try again. I wondered if anything could be seized/jammed/broken, but it does fold forward and also slide. Will update on next attempt !. Thanks again...and hope if still not working you can help again ☺

I had a similar problem with my old Caravelle. I ended up taking off the middle storage cover at the back and could see what part of the mechanism was moving when I pulled the handle. This allowed me to ease it a bit more with a screwdriver whilst jiggling the seat/pull tab. Apologies, I know "jiggling" is not in the workshop manual but it really should be

Ha thanks a lot...yet another useful tip....so glad i just joined this forum. (after hopefully resolving this problem...next help request I'll be posting is for my centre table pop out drinks holder....that despite how much 'jiggling' i do....it wont push all the way back in !!). Cheers again

Ha thanks a lot...yet another useful tip....so glad i just joined this forum. (after hopefully resolving this problem...next help request I'll be posting is for my centre table pop out drinks holder....that despite how much 'jiggling' i do....it wont push all the way back in !!). Cheers again
The same happened to my drinks holder. You are correct, no amount of jiggling worked. I even brought out the "whump" and that still didn't fix it.

Is it not activated by pulling a ribbon loop in between the seat belt buckles and pushing back on the seat back?

my centre table pop out drinks holder....that despite how much 'jiggling' i do....it wont push all the way back in !!

Mine did that too. The dealers changed the cupholder cassette under warranty.

Thanks DXX...thought the ribbon loop was just to get the centre armrest down !?!?...but I could most likely be wrong !. Cheers though, and can try that as well.

Thanks DXX...thought the ribbon loop was just to get the centre armrest down !?!?...but I could most likely be wrong !. Cheers though, and can try that as well.
That’s definitely how it’s done, have a good sleep!

Hi....finally got round to looking at folding bench seat problem. No amount of pushing or pulling would shift it to fold down backwards. Looked at under seat mechanism from boot...and found there was a metal latch that hooks over a big metal bar as part of the seat frame at front !. This was loose and not 'sprung'...so just moved it back into the open/unlock position, and hey presto-seat is now released and folds back !!. There is a spring on it that i assume helps this latch either open or close..but that is wobbly and not tight/fixed...and no idea how this should work..or indeed if there is another connection that should exist to help it move and operate when pulling the seat recline handle..but for now...seat reclines back so I'm happy !!. Also...as i was there i also looked at why the seat won't slide unless it is folded...common design fault methinks. Anyway, found the small release spring catch that moves when pulling the seat fold handle, and managed to thread an additional cable(string !) through the same spring hole which i brought out under the front of seat by the existing handles...as another 'handle'. Now i can sit on seat, pull this string to release the spring...and then pull handle 2 to slide seat...to avoid folding seat first..result ! AND FINALLY...managed to fix broken cup holder in sliding table ! (Wot a day !). Removed table top by removing round plastic centre disc from underneath table....then top came off. Then managed to slide out the cup holder cassette...could see pins protruding from folding bits, a toothed wheel slightly raised, and the spring getting jammed, all preventing cup holder from being pushed fully back in. A few 'adjustments' and 'fine tuning'...voila..cup holder now fully operational !. Everything all back together and feeling good (except niggle about the seat latch not connected/moving as should..but hey ho). So cheers all...and thanks again for all advice (sorry for chapter and verse update ☺)

Having the same issue with my 3 seater, can pull it forward but not a chance in getting them to go back. Did you get any pictures on how to do this?

Hi....finally got round to looking at folding bench seat problem. No amount of pushing or pulling would shift it to fold down backwards. Looked at under seat mechanism from boot...and found there was a metal latch that hooks over a big metal bar as part of the seat frame at front !. This was loose and not 'sprung'...so just moved it back into the open/unlock position, and hey presto-seat is now released and folds back !!. There is a spring on it that i assume helps this latch either open or close..but that is wobbly and not tight/fixed...and no idea how this should work..or indeed if there is another connection that should exist to help it move and operate when pulling the seat recline handle..but for now...seat reclines back so I'm happy !!. Also...as i was there i also looked at why the seat won't slide unless it is folded...common design fault methinks. Anyway, found the small release spring catch that moves when pulling the seat fold handle, and managed to thread an additional cable(string !) through the same spring hole which i brought out under the front of seat by the existing handles...as another 'handle'. Now i can sit on seat, pull this string to release the spring...and then pull handle 2 to slide seat...to avoid folding seat first..result ! AND FINALLY...managed to fix broken cup holder in sliding table ! (Wot a day !). Removed table top by removing round plastic centre disc from underneath table....then top came off. Then managed to slide out the cup holder cassette...could see pins protruding from folding bits, a toothed wheel slightly raised, and the spring getting jammed, all preventing cup holder from being pushed fully back in. A few 'adjustments' and 'fine tuning'...voila..cup holder now fully operational !. Everything all back together and feeling good (except niggle about the seat latch not connected/moving as should..but hey ho). So cheers all...and thanks again for all advice (sorry for chapter and verse update ☺)
Any pictures of this thing that may help if others have the same problem

I have a two seater seat, occasionally it doesn’t slide on the rails as I’m not pulling from the centre of the seat or I don’t have the lever fully lifted. Generally it’s not an issue.
My partner on the other hand rarely manages to move it, much to her frustration! It’s definitely not due to strength, more the method.
For something which costs so much you’d think it would be a bit more refined.....but it isn’t. Hence I aways get the bed ready before I start drinking.....had a bad experience once.

Hi...sorry didn't think to take pics...doh !. Other folks just said there seats were stiff to push back..or that handle no.1 was needing to be fully pulled out whilst pushing on seat back. But my issue was I guess a broken mechanism, which prevented the handle releasing a catch under the front of seat that latched seat onto seat base mechanism. (near handle 1). I saw it from looking under the seat viewing through the boot under seat centre access panel (where webbed pull handles no.1/2 are). Big hook latch could be seen right at front of under seat, just to right of the pull handles when viewed from boot-obviously just to the left of handles from inside van. This latch was loose and I just managed to reach through and pull hook latch off the big seat bar base....and voila, seat then could recline when pulling handle 1 and pushing seat back (or pulling from boot). Sorry no.pics...but hope this helps.

Hi...sorry didn't think to take pics...doh !. Other folks just said there seats were stiff to push back..or that handle no.1 was needing to be fully pulled out whilst pushing on seat back. But my issue was I guess a broken mechanism, which prevented the handle releasing a catch under the front of seat that latched seat onto seat base mechanism. (near handle 1). I saw it from looking under the seat viewing through the boot under seat centre access panel (where webbed pull handles no.1/2 are). Big hook latch could be seen right at front of under seat, just to right of the pull handles when viewed from boot-obviously just to the left of handles from inside van. This latch was loose and I just managed to reach through and pull hook latch off the big seat bar base....and voila, seat then could recline when pulling handle 1 and pushing seat back (or pulling from boot). Sorry no.pics...but hope this helps.
Thanks Robbo,
I’ll give it another go

Back