Caravan & Teenagers = Not Cool

Scrap my post #22 as it was made on the second day of our 2022 holiday!

Introducing additional sleeping arrangements has just caused extra arguments. I am done holidaying with our eldest kids as this latest holiday has been a disaster!

Even with expensive camp sites, with numerous activities, pools and entertainment, our older kids have been shocking!

Why the hell are older girls so unbearable? They have no filter for others on our site, and couldn't care less about humiliating Mum and Dad whilst they fight like cat and dog at all hours of the day and night! This holiday has made me recognise that parenting on a campsite is so unbearable that we may sell the caravan when we get home!

We have a final stop planned on the way back up to the Chunnel, but if I had my way I'd pack up and be home tomorrow! (Wife has refused to allow this so far.)

You are going to just have to grin and bear it Samro, remember that one day you'll need them to cut the grass and wipe your arse.

When I was growing up I couldn’t wait to go off on holiday on my own!

I have 3 kids, the bickering between the older two is so bloody annoying and they’re 10 and 11. This thread really isn’t helping lay out an optimistic future! Currently on holiday but in a house, camping is for short trips rather than family hols, don’t think we could cope!

Guess I've been lucky, my two have always been keen to go away with us, even now they're well into their 20s (though we usually have to take other halves as well now!) But be warned, with a camper on the way, they are both asking if they can be addded to the insurance...

Guess I've been lucky, my two have always been keen to go away with us, even now they're well into their 20s (though we usually have to take other halves as well now!) But be warned, with a camper on the way, they are both asking if they can be addded to the insurance...

You've been lucky but I agree on insurance. I’ve been through all the teenage drama. For them peer pressure is priority. Camping with parents is not cool. Once they have responsibilities of their own though things change. The next generation comes along and the cycle starts again. My son has now got into camping himself…in my van but he contributes towards the eye watering Central London insurance so that’s the good news for me. However his daughter has just reached that awkward stage where camping with grown ups is not cool. Here we go round the mulberry bush. :slow rofl:

Thank you all for all your replies, however I must apologise that I did not mean for my post to highlight all the challenges we face as parents / grandparents, etc. So for that, I apologise.

By way of an update, our caravan has been sold and went the day after we arrived home last week. So we are now left with a what now?

Having looked into the cost of adding a leisure battery, mains ehu, kombi bed etc, I am now in a space where my head is fried. I'm therefore asking you good folk on here would the following be satisfactory as a day van?

-95ah AGM battery
-Victron 18a DC- DC charger
-240 mains ehu with inlet under the bonnet.
-Consumer unit (2 pole)
-Victron 10 amp mains charger to keep LB topped up when on EHU.

I am not fussed on solar and don't see the need for the battery monitors, shunts etc.

I'm looking to do some of the work myself but having looked under the seats, there are some plastic brackets with fuses under the passenger seat and a black slim box under the driver's seat. So wondering can these be moved out of the way to fit what I want under both the seats. (I've attached some pics of what is under the seats).

Thansk again in advance for your views and opinions.

20220815_174831.jpg

20220815_174841.jpg

20220815_174857.jpg

20220815_174901.jpg

Reactions: CAB
I’ve pretty much got what you have listed, cetek rather than victron dc-dc and a 110ah battery all under the driver’s seat with a portable Solar panel if needed as I like electric hook up for kettle etc. so if you plan carefully you can leave the passenger side empty. All those connections under the passenger side come out of that plastic block and you can reconnect them and tuck them away. My ehu is under the bonnet as well

Or try a roamer standalone jobby. Then you have everything in one neat box. And you can take it out and leave it at home when not needed

By way of an update, our caravan has been sold and went the day after we arrived home last week. So we are now left with a what now?
I bet you're gutted that you did this so rashly?

Clearly you have made somewhat of a mistake and you should buy a nearly new, very large twin axle caravan that would suit your needs........ I was joking in my earlier posts and I happen to have such a vehicle available to buy!

It will need a clean after an amazing holiday in the Vendee with my three teenagers. I am sure that the smell of cheese from the fridge will be gone by the middle of next week and the makeup stains from the carpets may wash out........You may not worry if you are planning on making amazing memories with teenage daughters as they love to get "made-up" for utterly no reason at all on campsites, but that is part of the joy of the memory making machine!

Other than the makeup stains, the caravan is mint. I am the only person to have connected/disconnected any services, emptied the bog, put up the awning or done any other "caravan chore" at any time during the period that we have owned the vehicle and so you could rest assured that everything works correctly.

The other benefit from buying my 2 year old van is that absolutely every f*ck1ng thing has broken at some point and has been repaired in a way which is permanent fix!
This is inconsistent with the traditional construction methods used by caravan manufacturers, but I believe that my caravan must be worth its weight in gold. (Which is a lot as the aforementioned repairs have been conducted with weight being marginally compromised!)

Last edited:
Sorry but I don't know what a roamer standalone is.:rolleyes:
Sorry I meant jackery (roamer do special seat base batteries) but I see you commented on this earlier in the chat. These do seem like a good option for someone who isn’t wanting a full install

Only me again. Just had another thought! Is using a mobile camping EHU feasible instead of having a full 240 mains install?

Thoughts on a back of a postcard.

Something like the attached, which we could then just use in the van or awning.

Screenshot_20220816-174946_Chrome.jpg

No problem with that so long as you don't trap the cable in a van door! They usually have RCDs built in and we've used one for years whilst tenting and still take it on longer trips in case we want some extra power in the drive away awning.

No problem with that so long as you don't trap the cable in a van door! They usually have RCDs built in and we've used one for years whilst tenting and still take it on longer trips in case we want some extra power in the drive away awning.
Do you have ehu installed in the van as well?

Yes - I've got a splitter to that I can use both but I'm always very conscious of how much power is being drawn at any one time.

I think it’s been discussed on here that you need to earth the van if using one of these in it.

Back