Thinking of going LWB

Jimmmmy

T6.1
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have a SWB T6.1 T32 Camper which I love and we have had many great holidays with it but considering getting a LWB for a bit of extra space with a three seater back seat for the bed as me and the wife are spreading a bit in our old age so would be a bit more comfy in the bed. Don`t get me wrong, the one we have is fine but could it be better? They look good, but do we really need a LWB. Thoughts for and against would be good. Thanks

I think it has to be down to personal preference, and for me, they are so alike, it's just the extra 40cm. I'll list some of my pros and cons but they might not be that way for you. I'm really glad when it came time to get another transporter I got a LWB T6 having had a SWB T5.

My LWB pros
  • For me, the LWB feels cavernous (a good thing) with the rear seats out and I never really got that sense in the SWB.
  • 99% of the time, I prefer the look of the LWB over the SWB as I think the SWB can seem a bit square. Weird take, but just how I see it.
  • Apart from in tight car parks, I feel like the LWB drives the same, so it's not like moving to a VW crafter or similar.
My LWB cons
  • Small/tight car parks can be a pain due to the turning circle. You may need to look elsewhere if you're used to using small car parks.
  • I frequently have to parallel park on my road as I don't have a driveway and that extra 40cm can just rule me out of a lot of spaces left by cars.
  • I think (but can't remember for sure) that the LWB puts you into a different MOT bracket than the SWB (class 4 vs class 7?) and that can mean it's harder to find a centre that can perform an MOT (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong).
Looking back at my T5, I realise the "square" comment was really just as I kept it completely stock and lowering it on some decent suspension would have helped :)
(Pic of T6 is when I bought it, not now, but best I could find at a similar side-on angle).

vwt6.jpg

vwt5.jpg

Does the weight stay the same? Is a LWB available in T28,T30,T32 or are they all T32`s

With regards to MOTs, LWB is no different to a SWB. :thumbsup:

Does that mean they are both class 7? Or does it depend on if it was a panel van or kombi on the V5? I’ve had some conflicting info on this but would appreciate some clarity.

Does that mean they are both class 7? Or does it depend on if it was a panel van or kombi on the V5? I’ve had some conflicting info on this but would appreciate some clarity.
My T30 LWB converted from a panel van into a full camper (that is now registered as "panel van with windows" on the V5) has always been MOT'd by a Vw dealership as class 4

For a camper, you really notice the difference when the bed is down, where LWB has more useable standing space in the kitchen area.

It will only be a class 7 if it's over 3000kg. But once converted then it'll become class 4. What's written on the weight plate gets ignored when it's converted.

Think this is the bit that’s been confusing places I’ve tried to book in. Mine is a LWB T32 panel van conversion, but I recently found somewhere that said that shouldn’t be an issue (since it’s now a kombi).

Love my Caravelle LWB. Used to have a SWB (T4). In the LWB I can have the full size bed out, plus the velle table, and still get in and out of the van with my mountain bike inside (across the back of the front seats). The extra size has never been an issue for me, especially with all the parking aids. My van lives parallel parked on my street.

The extra space must be nice, but to me the LWB just doesn't look right, a bit like when they bought out the Tiguan Allspace, it just looks out of proportion compared to the SWB.

I’ve had both. Would never go back to SWB because the 400mm is exactly what you need, exactly where you need it.

Manoeuvring, parking etc takes a day or so to adjust then it’s second nature.

I moved from a SWB Caravelle to a LWB Shuttle earlier this year. Fitted a Van-King bed system having taken out the rear triple bench. Much more comfortable to sleep in, lots of storage space, have a large fridge in the middle space of the second row of seats, can have 5-6 people in the vehicle, even whilst carrying 4 or more bikes inside.
Yes it’s a bit longer, so you think about parking spaces and such, but it still fits in most places including multi storey car parks. IIRC all Shuttle SE models are T32.

A LWB will still fit a standard (Tesco) supermarket parking space.
The 400mm means you can get out of bed & have space to stand up & get dressed with the bed down, and get into the fridge. Is this why Calis have top loading fridges?
If it’s a “Motor Caravan” within the terms of the C&U regs, then it’s class 4 MOT regardless of weight.

A LWB will still fit a standard (Tesco) supermarket parking space
The wheels do, yes!!
I've only ever owned one van and that's a LWB T6. Aesthetically I prefer the look and, like the comment above, I find the SWB quite boxy looking.
Being able to fit bikes in the boot fully assembled behind the back seats, as well as more of everything else is a bonus.

Negatives? Parking spaces and turning circle (I assume). Neither are a concern as there are more manoeuvrable vehicles than the SWB too.

Last edited:
Does the weight stay the same? Is a LWB available in T28,T30,T32 or are they all T32`s
GVWs stay the same, but payloads for LWBs are reduced slightly due to them weighing more than the equivalent SWB.

And yes, LWBs are available as T28, T30 and T32s.

When a LWB Caravelle came up earlier this year I had to have it. They are pretty rare and after having a LWB shuttle I wanted the Caravelle but SWB was too small for my needs.

Back