Can't find the hole in the dark

Carlos Vandango

T6 Pro
Hi all.

With the nights drawing in I've been in the van a fair bit in the dark. I've got a comfort dash in my kombi and it's got lots of cubby holes, cup holders etc in the centre. Only problem is, you can't see where they are in the dark. I've had previous cars that have a subtle spot light that permanently illuminates the gear stick area from overhead though it isn't bright enough to distract you.

Is there any upgrade or aftermarket option available ? Couldn't see anything in the T6 shop

Thanks.

I know a couple of people on here have fitted the courtesy light unit from a Passat which has the BMW style ambient LEDs pointing down. Think it was @Deaky amd maybe @Pauly too?

Hi all.

With the nights drawing in I've been in the van a fair bit in the dark. I've got a comfort dash in my kombi and it's got lots of cubby holes, cup holders etc in the centre. Only problem is, you can't see where they are in the dark. I've had previous cars that have a subtle spot light that permanently illuminates the gear stick area from overhead though it isn't bright enough to distract you.

Is there any upgrade or aftermarket option available ? Couldn't see anything in the T6 shop

Thanks.
There is a comment on here about ambient lighting using the roof console light unit from a Passat which is hidden in Deaky’s Camper journey.
Deaky’s Kombi to Camper journey
Took me ages to search it out with it not being in a thread about interior lights.

No programming but you will need to pick a lighting feed up for the ambient led's from somewhere, I got mine from the footwell lights, ran it up the n/s a post into the overhead unit.

I did something similar but rather than replacing the whole light I bought an ambient lighting module for an Audi A3 for £20 and mounted it in roof just in front of light fitting, wiring is the same as above, still needs an extra supply to feed it so I ran a cable down A pillar and tapped into a button illumination cable so it comes on with headlights and was just a case of drilling a couple of holes in the plastic where the LEDs are

I had one in a Discovery once that was so subtle I didn't realise it was there for two years. When I had my hand on the gear stick I just thought it was moonlight. The penny dropped when I was in a dark service basement one night.

Will be looking closely at that removable panel in the roof console tomorrow

No programming but you will need to pick a lighting feed up for the ambient led's from somewhere, I got mine from the footwell lights, ran it up the n/s a post into the overhead unit.
@Alan Walsh ,have you wired you foot well lights to the lighting circuit ,so they come on with the side lights ?

Yes, that’s the one I have fitted that @Alan Walsh has listed. Only thing I have done differently is run the extra wire for the ambient light down the drivers side a pillar and connect it to the instrument lighting dimmer.

@Alan Walsh ,the light on ebay looks like it has a frame round the out side
Does that come of or does it fit with it on .
You just take out the existing light unit (2 torx screws hold it in place either side of the centre lamp) pull the old unit out and put the new unit in its place, no alterations are needed (nor are the 2 retaining screws as the integral clips on the new unit hold it in place).
Hope this helps.

Yes, that’s the one I have fitted that @Alan Walsh has listed. Only thing I have done differently is run the extra wire for the ambient light down the drivers side a pillar and connect it to the instrument lighting dimmer.
@Deaky Do you know what colour wire you joined to on the dimmer .
Cheers

Back