Can T6.1 under seat fuse box use be used for 800w victron inverter?

I’m sure im asking a question answered many times on this forum

I have a t6.1 with a small fuse box under the passenger seat, only one fuse is in it which I’m assuming is for the heated seats.

I would like to install my 800w victron inverter either under the passenger seat or drivers whichever is easier/neater.

I would prefer to have a ignition switched supply to trigger the inverter like I currently have on my ex BG caddy maxi (has a additional fuse box fitted by BG fleet with PL and SL ways)

I have attached images of that is under the passenger seat now

77B42054-F8AB-473A-B953-0EB9E2D36D2B.jpeg38BD8C7B-B7F6-4EDE-A0B5-408E185A4EF3.jpegB728DDFA-B989-4680-A6F6-13998B821318.jpeg

As far as I know there’s no ignition switched supply under the seat.

an 800watt invertor would pull around 70 amps on the 12v side so can’t be connected to the fusebox but the supply cable maybe an option ?

Would need to check what size it is and what’s it’s fused at but that’s a big current so a proper supply would be best

I should mention I have no intention of using the inverter to its full 800w potential as it will only be used to charge power tool batteries

You say that but what happens when something heavier gets connected ?

I guess as long as you fuse it for the size of cable you use them it’s not unsafe, connect too much and the fuse lets go !

I just got my 6.1 so it’s on the list of things I need to find out as want to add a few bits of my own so will look into the feed cable size and fuse rating

Personally I wouldn’t want to risk it- fuses can get very hot when they on or just above their limits

You should be aware that the fuse for the wire under the seat is in the main vehicle fuse box, you have to remove the battery to get to it so it’s not a quick fix if it blows, it also powers other items, mine was a 40amp fuse, it was a total pain when it went, would never do that again but if you want a quick install fill your boots

I think I may have a idea but not sure how well it will work in practice.

After more digging around the forum and under my passenger seat it appears there is a factory joint in the red cables that people have taken advantage of for a easy supply for various things.

Is it possible to use that joint as a feed to a voltage sensitive relay with a output to my inverter?

Obviously the output will have a inline fuse to protect the feeder cable and its fuse under the battery.

The idea is I won’t then need to fart around getting a switched supply for the inverter or one to trigger a relay to switch the inverter, the voltage sensitive relay will automatically switch the inverter off once the voltage drops after the vehicle is switched of.

Still a working theory all this so suggestions are very welcome, I want it to be as automatic as possible as I will definitely forget to switch it on and off, currently with my current set up in my caddy I never need to plug my tool chargers in on site my tools always have charged batteries.

I will plug all my things into my inverter later and measure The maximum possible demand from my equipment to determine if it’s feasible.

433B7ACE-97BB-4730-B574-91C75BD06395.jpeg

If the smart alternator has ramped down (if van batt is full) would there be enough voltage to excite the relay, just a consideration not sure it could actually happen ?

You could of course always turn on the AC or heated screen if that ever happened to get the alternator charging

I’m not a expert on vehicle electrical systems so anything I suggest must be taken with a whole bag of salt

Just had a quick mess about and measured absolute maximum demand to be around 30a rounding up and plugging in things I would never use with inverter (solder station) to allow for error margin

BF7D5D7D-50A7-415A-A1DC-708913EFBC93.jpeg

Tarred with @JOG 's brush :slow rofl:
What have I done now?!!

I have a character that can be bismirched?!! I didn’t know that - I must call Vardy’s lawyer!!!

And, for clarity, @CAB has never been near my brush!!!

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
I did wonder that ?
This seems to be one of the very few threads you hadn’t commented on at the time

Back