Can Eberspacher etc. be used to heat van whilst driving?

Buddy thank you so so much for your time, forgive me slow reply.......Mate I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but I reason stuff and try my best to work out the why's or why not 's.....it's always what have I missed that worries me

Thanks for taking your time for this :thumbsup:

stu

@oldiebut goodie Would one be able to use a wallas XC duo when on the move? Buddy the instructions say no so we don't ......but I'm curious as to the why's of that no. what is going to go wrong? what are the negative consequences to using the wallas on the move as a van heater?

Huge thanks

stu
I’m guessing because the air flow past the air inlet / exhaust at high speed will have an adverse affect on the air inlet, possibly resulting in a low air flow and a rich burn.

I’m guessing because the air flow past the air inlet / exhaust at high speed will have an adverse affect on the air inlet, possibly resulting in a low air flow and a rich burn.
Yeah it's that init.but how does one measure that or evaluate it????

TBF I like it when someone says stu ya can't do that you bithering idiot because of X Y and Z, proved and demonstrated .......QED here are your reasons............ I'm good with that.........but if they don't give me those reasons

I have to ask why?

LMAO I don't particularly like the air inlet design.......................... don't understand why it's situated in a position of compromise ( below a cill) and def have concerns about the attachment to van,it's such a design flaw to NOT build a triangle into those supports . Heyho

Hmm the joys of enquiring tiny minds DXX ;)

Not if it has been installed correctly. ( Unless you are driving in reverse continuously at high speed! )

I'm not sure that driving with the Wallas turned on is an issue at all. The manual clearly says don't do it, but I've tried this on the really cold mornings and it's been fine.

I had an installation issue corrected, where my exhaust head was incorrectly fitted (with it orientated 180 degrees wrong). Road debris had been filling the aperture in the exhaust head and restricted the exhaust. In addition to that issue, if I had driven with the heater on, air would have been forced into the exhaust head causing back pressure, but now that this exhaust aperture is facing aft, I can't see what is wrong with driving with the heater on?

Maybe at motorway speeds it would be unwise, but even then the exhaust faces away from the airflow and the air inlet is not seeing "forced air", as the inlet gauze is orientated on the side, so cannot understand the issue.

I'm after a kombi but have young kids and am concerned about needing heat in the back. I'm aware vehicles are available with heaters (saw one today and the heater was good) but they are thin on the ground and I see a lot of people doing convertions actually remove them. If I bought a van without a heater and fitted a diesel night heater (eberspacher etc) could that heater also be used for extra heat when driving or is it stationery use only?
The original factory fit one can be used whilst driving no issues. I do it all the time and I read somewhere, maybe owners manual it's for parking or driving

Interesting notes about the exhaust head being fitted back to front..this seems a common confusion? . More gratitude for the replies re my question all thank you :)

Oh PS "Oldie"...................the note on reversing backwards made me smile..we .came across a rather nasty flood down a very narrow country lane just after installing wallas,no way I'm risking my newly installed exhaust head go through that, I mumbled to meslef. We ended up reversing for ages before a 40point turn in our long wheel base. But reversing at speed in the dark is definetly out leastways for me. in our old T5 My first forum Q to the T5 lads after that debarcal was how can I upgrade my reversing lights. ? :D

Following that comment I probably wont be using it in heavy rain on the move.........still can't see the logic in why not beyond that caviat

take care guys thanks again

reason for edit PS

Last edited:
Back