Can Eberspacher etc. be used to heat van whilst driving?

RobFlynn

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I'm after a kombi but have young kids and am concerned about needing heat in the back. I'm aware vehicles are available with heaters (saw one today and the heater was good) but they are thin on the ground and I see a lot of people doing convertions actually remove them. If I bought a van without a heater and fitted a diesel night heater (eberspacher etc) could that heater also be used for extra heat when driving or is it stationery use only?

Reactions: CAB
I use mine while driving all the time when its cold frosty mornings, no issues its installed under the drivers side of the van in the VW location and is fed from the main tank for fuel. I start it in the morning using the mobile app and when warmed up drive away with it still running sometimes use it rather than the van heating as find its quicker and air isn't so dry.

I use mine (Webasto) a fair bit when driving and no issues.

I do have a problem recently of it setting off the van alarm when I use the heater remotely, never used to be an issue but can’t think of anything that’s changed.

I do have a problem recently of it setting off the van alarm when I use the heater remotely, never used to be an issue but can’t think of anything that’s changed.
Is it powered from the leisure battery or the starter battery?

Is it powered from the leisure battery or the starter battery?
From the leisure battery, always has been and when I’ve run the leisure battery low then the Webasto gives me an error code.

I don’t know why the alarm has suddenly decided to get involved, I tried lowering the temperature but no difference.

From the leisure battery, always has been and when I’ve run the leisure battery low then the Webasto gives me an error code.

I don’t know why the alarm has suddenly decided to get involved, I tried lowering the temperature but no difference.
That buggers that theory then, thought it could be volt drop from a tired starter battery.

Is it not just something moving in the air current?

Is it not just something moving in the air current?
That would be the obvious answer, but it’s never been an issue up until the last 2 months. I’ve had the heater for 4 years and up until November 22ish it was never an issue to turn it on 15 minutes before getting in the van on a cold morning.

Reactions: CAB
@oldiebut goodie Would one be able to use a wallas XC duo when on the move? Buddy the instructions say no so we don't ......but I'm curious as to the why's of that no. what is going to go wrong? what are the negative consequences to using the wallas on the move as a van heater?

Huge thanks

stu

Personally I don't see any reason why not - after all they are designed originally for marine use and no boat is still! OK they are not designed for the hobs to be used on the move as there are no fiddles provided to hold the pans but the heater should be able to be used. I haven't used one so there may be some aspect that I am not aware of that precludes heater use on the move.
But the instructions say "Only use the heater when the vehicle is at a standstill and never when it is unattended." but there is no justification for this statement.

Back