Camshaft sensor fail, then crankshaft sensor fail.....

Dan Morritz

Transport Planner
T6 Pro
I could do with a bit of advice if anyone has the time, please?
Having had our Kombi for 7months now (2016, 150, Highline @ 47k miles) we have had an awful week with the glow plug lamp flashing up and showing faults. The engine was mis-firing and wouldn't function well over 2000rpm, resulting in immediate 'limp mode' activation. Our local garage took the van in and diagnosed a camshaft sensor fault, which they replaced and then went out to drive the van and on starting it up again the following day, the crankshaft sensor also failed. This too, was replaced, and the van driven to establish any further issues. It seemed ok on the drive home...... until the following day.

The glow plug lamp is flashing again, and I am waiting for a friend to come over to get the codes read to see what it could be, this time. With little to no experience of this kind of issue, i need to ask the forum if this could all be a result of an issue with a recently replaced cambelt? Could lack of tension produce these sensor faults and if so, am I in a good position to ask for this to be sorted by the garage and the sensors parts and labour costs (over £300) refunded as a result from installation error?

This is all out of the blue, but following a recent cambelt/pump replacement. Am i getting hung up on something that probably could happen to anyone... Any thoughts welcome. It's booked in to the local garage on Friday, but I'd like to see if anyone out there has had similar issues? Thanks.

I’ve replaced crankshaft position sensors on other vehicles and they can be very tight to extract and install, easy to damage if you don’t take time.
What’s the chance that the mech’ removed the wrong sensor (crankshaft) and then fitted back damaging it in the process before moving on to the camshaft position sensor?

I’ve replaced crankshaft position sensors on other vehicles and they can be very tight to extract and install, easy to damage if you don’t take time.
What’s the chance that the mech’ removed the wrong sensor (crankshaft) and then fitted back damaging it in the process before moving on to the camshaft position sensor?
I had thought of this, and wondered if i could get away with suggesting it. The garage were unable to fit me in for a confirmed booking and asked me to leave the van with them and they would 'check it over between jobs'. I guess it is possible.
I guess I'll know more later once I have these fault codes. Thanks for this suggestion though, and confirming a niggle i had about it.

I wonder there has been damage to the loom or common earth from those sensors?

I wonder there has been damage to the loom or common earth from those sensors?
Didn't you get involved in something relating to this on here @Loz, and document some wiring damage....? It's another point i want to raise with the garage too (without sounding like a know-it-all, when i know very little).

Yes, on another member's van, the cables to sensors on the engine had become brittle and the conductor had broken close to the plug, if a number of plugs have been removed, then there could be loom damage.

Had this with mine after cambelt replacement and it was the bottom crank pulley worm. It was ok when cold but in the end it would not start when hot . They fitted new pulley and all ok.

Had this with mine after cambelt replacement and it was the bottom crank pulley worm. It was ok when cold but in the end it would not start when hot . They fitted new pulley and all ok.
So my issue is the other way - the fault kicks in immediately when the engine is cold. This was even more apparent just now when my mate came round to read my fault codes. I switched the ignition on and whilst we set about plugging in and setting his computer up, the engine warmed up - no glow plug light came on, and even after a drive around our estate, the engine was as normal and there were no stored fault codes (he used Carista and Carly). This morning however, from cold, it kicked in within a minute of pulling off our drive....
I imagine the garage will probably be able to see any stored faults.... the saga continues!

Just as an update - and potentially to close this thread off - I set off to drive to my local garage this morning, and the engine just cut out, after stuttering away from the driveway.
An AA tech came out and read that the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor were showing faults, but this time the engine management light had come on.
Kindly, he called a friend who works as a tech for VW and the VW tech asked if i had recently had the cambelt replaced. I had, and he said that it is likely that the timing is out by half a tooth.
The AA towed me to the garage and outlined the issue, and stated that in his opinion, I should be refunded for both the replacement sensors... I was really impressed.
I have every faith in the garage, and it's clearly been a bit of trial and error, but it's costing me. And I am tight. I hope they continue with their great service...

I've got the exact same issue Dan. Did you also have the Start Stop error displayed on the dashboard?

Just as an update - and potentially to close this thread off - I set off to drive to my local garage this morning, and the engine just cut out, after stuttering away from the driveway.
An AA tech came out and read that the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor were showing faults, but this time the engine management light had come on.
Kindly, he called a friend who works as a tech for VW and the VW tech asked if i had recently had the cambelt replaced. I had, and he said that it is likely that the timing is out by half a tooth.
The AA towed me to the garage and outlined the issue, and stated that in his opinion, I should be refunded for both the replacement sensors... I was really impressed.
I have every faith in the garage, and it's clearly been a bit of trial and error, but it's costing me. And I am tight. I hope they continue with their great service...
I have the exact same issue Dan. Did you also have the Start / Stop error message displayed on the Dashboard?

I have the exact same issue Dan. Did you also have the Start / Stop error message displayed on the Dashboard?
Yes mate. Just as a follow up (following my last post in August last year), I was in and out of the local garage for about 3 months after that post, and in summary, I had to get a lot of re-wiring done because there were some perished cables that could only be discovered through various investigation. Its been 4 months since the last visit now, and all is good, but yes, i had the same error flash up.

Thanks Dan for coming back to me. Had the cables perished or were they damaged by the garage? My van was running fine until the cam belt change. It's now sounds like a bag of spanners when starting up, that's if it starts.

I've read a few posts in which the plugs and wiring were damaged when the cam belt had been replaced.

Thanks Dan for coming back to me. Had the cables perished or were they damaged by the garage? My van was running fine until the cam belt change. It's now sounds like a bag of spanners when starting up, that's if it starts.

I've read a few posts in which the plugs and wiring were damaged when the cam belt had been replaced.
I'll never know the truth, which sounds like I am doubting the level of service i received, but i just don't have the experience or skills to really claim anything. I had the cam belt replaced, then i had to replace both sensors and then i had to get a cable re-wire because they had perished... A coincidental series of events that you are also experiencing now? I don't know mate.
It messed up a summer of planned activity and bike trips, I had to hire a vehicle for one particular holiday which cost a fair bit, so i was bitter for quite a while. Now, with the van running well - I'll never know what happened.

I'm pretty sure the truth is that the cables, plugs or sensors were damaged during the cam belt change, and the rest was mis-diagnosis and a coverup.
2 sensors don't fail at the same time, and cables just don't 'perish'.

Thanks Dan, yeap in the exact same boat. Van had no issues at all then the garage replaced the cam belt and wouldn't start on their forecourt.

They seem like a decent bunch so hoping it gets sorted when I go back later this week.

Back