Camping and cooking pods

shoney

Morning all, i have been a T2, T5, T6 , caravelle and cali user in lots of different family situations. i am settling on. a caravelle for flexibility of car/ space/ occasional overnighter/ scuba support vehicle and looking at the vangear, slidepods, embee style drop/slot in units. Really interested if anyone can take a few moments to share experiences of the different set ups, e.g. with vangear i can cook without opening the rear door if the weather is bad, the slide pod system looks a great way to organise space , etc etc. As said any experiences of using the different setups

I like the look of the vangear stuff too.. but is it really held in with just a couple of screws? I'm hoping it just looks like that as their vids are quite quick..?

I like the look of the vangear stuff too.. but is it really held in with just a couple of screws? I'm hoping it just looks like that as their vids are quite quick..?
Do you mean the Vangear Nano Pods etc? We have a Nano and yes they are designed to fix with two screw thumbwheel things into the rails, if you have them. We don't so had to make up a base board and attach that to the the van load fixing points. It is positioned, crossways, immediately behind the passenger front seat. We have twin sliders and didn't want to permanently block that access. We removed the rear seats a while ago (Kombi).
It is neat and well made, with a sink, electric water pump and two water containers within. The top flips over to take a stove if you want to. In practice we don't cook in the van, and tbh the sink is a bit small (ok, unused in our case!). We are probably going to sell it later this year as we are working on an alternative idea at the moment.
Although they show it being used outside the van on the website I think that it would be a bit of a faff to do that, but I suppose it depends on how long you are on site in one place.

Last edited:
Hi @shoney ...we have a slidepod in a T6 Kombi ..but it’s classed as a utility pod ( just storage ) and a really comfy full size bed...so we tend to throw all The camping gear in and unload and sleep in van ...works for us but not cheap..they do lots of new stuff
Our main aim was to get a full width bed with comfort in mind ....2/3 rd beds are great but you’ve got to love ur partner when space is a premium :inlove:

Have just listed our Vangear Nano Pod in the For Sale section but not sure if it is showing yet.

I used to have a T5.1 caravelle with a slidepod (sink + two burner and shower). It's great IF you have somewhere to store it out of the van when you're not camping. We don't so sold it with the old van when we got our T6 caravelle.
The bed function, as VanDamMan says, is excellent, but if left in the van it means you have zero boot space and also, if SWB, you need all seats quite far forward so limited leg room.

Used to have a Slidepod in my SWB T6. Went with that because I needed the middle part of the van to transport my photographic gear, including my event tent. Worked reasonably well but the big problem with the cooking on the Slidepod is that any amount of wind causes a real problem. Had a wind deflector but only limited benefit.

Also the interior of the van, though lined, isn't a wonderful place to spend any time.

Have now sold the Slidepod and converted the van to a conventional camper layout. With hindsight wish I had gone this route in the first place.

We have a Nano pod which clips/screws into the rails whenever we want it. If we set up an awning, we can also lift it out into that, as it is freestanding. We rarely cook in the van as we tend to BBQ, but it is a handy addition as a day van!

Back