Camper via day van

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
We've started our steps towards making the PV a camper, for this year it will be a day van but one that we can camp out of.

One question, why do people build up the floor across the whole van and then put furniture on top? Surely you lose height, have increased weight and... it seems pointless?

it gives you a flat sold surface to work up from and fix to?

it gives you a flat sold surface to work up from and fix to?
Unless the furniture has a solid base, I don't see why I should lose 25mm space in the bottom of the cupboards for the sake of a nice smooth surface. Can the furniture not mount between the ridges?

Unless the furniture has a solid base, I don't see why I should lose 25mm space in the bottom of the cupboards for the sake of a nice smooth surface. Can the furniture not mount between the ridges?
Of course you can mount it where you want, I guess for the most, it's not worth the hassle for the 25mm benefit. Plus if you screw to the floor you'll have the hassle of protecting it from rust etc.

You can, but the ply & vinyl will add to the sound & heat insulation & we're only talking mm's extra depth for the ply so it's not like your losing loads of headroom
Each to thier own but I'd rather have a flat floor than corrugated
Also the weight isn't an issue in my mind as it's a van, designed to carry weight, so a sheet of ply & some vinyl are nothing in a day van

Plus there's the looks....the bare floor looks like an air raid shelter

Last edited:
i think most ply lining is a 9mm floor section.

and most kitchen units do not have a bottom, base section..

so you would have to deal with the uneven floor and will most likely have the front leading edge not square to a high lip and possibly end up floating above a ridge section.

1612988281897.png1612988307475.png

ie

1612988398622.png1612988446554.png1612988465917.png1612988519367.png

1612988296663.png

Because I'm having rails the height is not insignificant, so wondering whether to make the most of it and drop the units onto a lower floor without the cosmetic layer

Back