Camper King Le Mans: Leisure battery removal issues

fpdizzle

Hi everyone,

I have a 2019 VW T6 with Camperking Le Mans conversion. After taking it for a habitation service locally today, I've discovered that the leisure battery cannot be removed from its compartment underneath the cupboards (the access hole is too small).

I just wondered if anyone else has figured out the easiest way to get a battery out other than removing the bed and disassembling all the units (as the service technician thinks is the only way to access the battery).

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate,

If it is the same as some of their other layouts (I do not know?), then probably simplest to take back of the cupboard out and then just remove the small panel that hides the battery.

You might need to secure the battery though - I had to, as mine had been sliding around and damaged cable sheath.

I replaced a tired 80AH unit with a fresh new 120AH a few months back. What a difference - well worth doing!
:thumbsup:

Screenshot_20211019-192527_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211019-192636_Gallery.jpg

Hi mate,

If it is the same as some of their other layouts (I do not know?), then probably simplest to take back of the cupboard out and then just remove the small panel that hides the battery.

You might need to secure the battery though - I had to, as mine had been sliding around and damaged cable sheath.

I replaced a tired 80AH unit with a fresh new 120AH a few months back. What a difference - well worth doing!
:thumbsup:

View attachment 134058

Hi @mlh677,

Thanks for the photos. They look similar or the same as the Camper King Monte Carlo conversion where all the electronics and water tank can be accessed.

Unfortunately mine is a Le Mans conversion which seems much rarer. All the electronics are housed underneath cupboards on the side rather than in the rear with only a couple of extra fuses in the wardrobe bit.

I’m not sure what the thinking was around this layout so I think we’ll be going back to the dealer we bought it from to see if they can fix it.

The service checks today also revealed a gas leak somewhere behind all the cabinets so I’m guessing the van will pretty much have to be dismantled anyway to fix it

603F606D-8C98-4A55-ACF6-F4E53423BB66.jpeg

81A20204-A4C0-44FF-B700-0C70DFC7E479.jpeg

3910526D-BFBB-44CE-ACD4-7D5110E98A2D.jpeg

I see what you mean; I thought mine was a pain to access...

And yes, my photos are from a Monte Carlo since having a grill was an essential part of any conversion to keep me loaded-up with cheese on toast when away.

I do not use Facebook though I have read somewhere that details of CK battery replacement can be found on their Facebook site. Alternatively, I guess a quick call to the service guys could save a bit of hassle.

One thought, the guys who did my habitation certificate before I collected the van said they had added a secondary gas isolation valve inside the vehicle. Not sure if this is a 'true' safety requirement or not, but since your gas is being sorted anyway it might be worth asking the question (not that I have ever used the internal valve - I still use the main gas bottle valve whenever we are away).

Hi @mlh677,

Thanks for the photos. They look similar or the same as the Camper King Monte Carlo conversion where all the electronics and water tank can be accessed.

Unfortunately mine is a Le Mans conversion which seems much rarer. All the electronics are housed underneath cupboards on the side rather than in the rear with only a couple of extra fuses in the wardrobe bit.

I’m not sure what the thinking was around this layout so I think we’ll be going back to the dealer we bought it from to see if they can fix it.

The service checks today also revealed a gas leak somewhere behind all the cabinets so I’m guessing the van will pretty much have to be dismantled anyway to fix it

View attachment 134064

View attachment 134065

View attachment 134066
FFS. Seems a silly idea hiding it behind an opening that’s too small!

Well if anybody was a considering using Camper King……
Looks like pretty sub-standard build and design and they’re not cheap.
This photo caught my eye, WTF is this?
7970440F-231A-43B5-852E-2410BBF869EF.jpeg

View attachment 134094
I think they’re slots for additional fuses.

It made me think why they didn’t just put the main set of fuses in the cupboard, move the battery up a smidge from where it is, and make the hatch slightly bigger in order to easily remove the battery…

Thing is, even if the hole is bigger, a 110a battery weighs nearly 30Kg so is a bit of a handful at arms length.

Yep. I reckon it’ll be a right faff to sort.

We’re taking it in to the dealer we bought it from tomorrow, so they can stare at it and scratch their heads as how to sort it so will see what comes out of that.

When asking about the battery location they were referring to a different conversion type so I’m already mentally preparing for the ‘suck the air through the teeth quote’ on the price to fix it

That is certainly a strange design from a maintenance perspective!

Are you sure you can’t disconnect the battery, rotate it 90 degrees and then lift it out?

One of the terminals is about 6 inches under a unit (shown on the right of the first photo). Therefore disconnecting it would be a challenge in itself.

If I did manage to disconnect the other terminal, the Sterling charge unit is located next to the battery and bolted down, leaving no wriggle room to get the battery out.

Thanks for the idea though. I’ll suggest it to the garage once they realise it’s pretty wedged in…

Have you asked Camper King for their battery renewal procedure?
“With you every step of the way”

Thanks for the idea @DXX.

I did speak to the camper king service team yesterday for advice, however they said they don’t really have any maintenance instruction manuals for the vehicle. I was offered a habitation service however they are 100 miles from me which is why I’ve gone back to the local dealer.

I have emailed the service team asking for any information they can provide on battery removal so I will see if I receive a response.

I thought the whole idea of these camper van thingies was we were meant to drive them places......:oops::rolleyes::uh run:
It’s still perfectly road worthy (after it’s mechanical service a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately the only place I seem to be driving it at the moment is to various garages to try and fix it (whilst breaking out the portable camp stove to make a cup of tea seeming as the gas system is condemned)

It’s still perfectly road worthy (after it’s mechanical service a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately the only place I seem to be driving it at the moment is to various garages to try and fix it (whilst breaking out the portable camp stove to make a cup of tea seeming as the gas system is condemned)
I was trying to make mirth from Camper King's 'with you every step of the way' customer service strap line.... I'll get my coat....!!:fast rofl:

I was trying to make mirth from Camper King's 'with you every step of the way' customer service strap line.... I'll get my coat....!!:fast rofl:
I did find it mirthful, and all the comments on here are cheering me up whilst trying to sort all of this out.

I’ll be sure to add their strap line to the complaints letter I’m currently drafting. ;)

Last edited:
View attachment 134094
I was led to believe by the dealer that I got mine from that the spare fuses could be used to add a solar panel rather than needing to access the leisure battery directly. Not sure if anyone has any experience of that at all? I’ve been considering adding a solar charge controller that I can hook up to a suitcase solar panel when we’re away for longer breaks. We use the van as our main vehicle so the leisure battery is kept topped up so we don’t need a permanent solar panel on the roof.

I was led to believe by the dealer that I got mine from that the spare fuses could be used to add a solar panel rather than needing to access the leisure battery directly. Not sure if anyone has any experience of that at all? I’ve been considering adding a solar charge controller that I can hook up to a suitcase solar panel when we’re away for longer breaks. We use the van as our main vehicle so the leisure battery is kept topped up so we don’t need a permanent solar panel on the roof.
My comment ‘WTF is this’ refers to the abysmal installation, I find it hard to believe that any tradesman could happily perform at that level and still have a conscience.

That's utterly appalling. Not just that the battery clearly can't be removed, but the overall level of workmanship. I mean, what's with all the exposed wiring - especially what looks like a battery cable draped over the electrical units - and what's with the joint blocks?

Back