Cambelt Disaster!

Dundrummin

So a few weeks ago wile the wife was driving it, the van (T6 2016) made a funny noise, went into limp mode, then wouldn't start again after she'd stopped. To cut a long story short the cambelt had lost a tooth or two and slipped, only cost just shy of £3,000 to put it right :mad:

I bought the van 2nd hand at the beginning of 2020 and having now done some research on here I see that there was a recall on certain vans due to dodgy cambelts. Well I have since messaged VW and you've guessed it, there is an outstanding recall for the 'Gates' cambelt on my van. Obviously having previously belonged to a lease company/jobbers before it was never done.

Now my question is, have VW still got any liability in this case or do I just need to write it off, I am assuming that will be the case even though it's only done 42,000 miles?

Have you taken it to VW for servicing or anything else since you bought it? When was the recall?

Was the cambelt changed in 2020 (perhaps before you bough it?).
VW require replacement every 4 years - loads of post on forum.

No it was just never done by the looks of it as VW still have it as outstanding. Anyway I emailed them back and as you'd expect I've got no chance of getting anything out of them, oh well, live and learn.

you could check with citizens advice as it was an outstanding recall.. you would of had the belt changed at 4 years but then lock down happened the van sat on the drive for over a year due to lock down you didn't go out of the house
MOT checks got extended warrantys go with the van when you buy them so why not the recall

might be worth £3000 for a phone call

Here in Mexico, the VW dealer just told me that the cambelt + pump must be replaced at the same time of the 75,000 km (46,900 mi) service. The cost for this full service? Just a meager £630. (Ouch!!) I am still undecided if waiting a bit, maybe until the 100,000 km mark. Mine is a German made 2018 T6 with the 100 kw TDI engine registered on January 2018.

So a few weeks ago wile the wife was driving it, the van (T6 2016) made a funny noise, went into limp mode, then wouldn't start again after she'd stopped. To cut a long story short the cambelt had lost a tooth or two and slipped, only cost just shy of £3,000 to put it right :mad:

I bought the van 2nd hand at the beginning of 2020 and having now done some research on here I see that there was a recall on certain vans due to dodgy cambelts. Well I have since messaged VW and you've guessed it, there is an outstanding recall for the 'Gates' cambelt on my van. Obviously having previously belonged to a lease company/jobbers before it was never done.

Now my question is, have VW still got any liability in this case or do I just need to write it off, I am assuming that will be the case even though it's only done 42,000 miles?
Would you be so kind to share the recall info? I'd like to see if mine is part of said recall. TIA.

Is the cambelt recall based on a certain engine type also?

Back