Californias in Cornwall!?

itguy

Hi Everyone

My wife and I are starting to look at Californias, and when I say look, I mean online - we can't seem to see one in the flesh anywhere, especially in Cornwall!!

I started a thread on the vwcalifornia forum and they suggested I post on here as there may be someone in Cornwall who may be able to show me round a T6 over a cuppa etc. I've found that salesmen are useless too (so far, haven't tried Preston yet) and don't know half of what the California has got and can do.

The other thread is here: Friendly California owner - Cornwall - wanted!

But keen to hear from anyone who might be able to help

Thanks

Will and Sarah

I think you might be out of luck - the best person to speak to who lives in Cornwall (currently on his second cali) and able to give you a really "good, bad and ugly" opinion is currently on holiday and, from reading the other thread, you are only down there for a week.

Davenjo is right; I'd be more than happy to show you around ours but we're in Europe (Spain right now) for five weeks.
Happy to answer any questions though.

Davenjo is right; I'd be more than happy to show you around ours but we're in Europe (Spain right now) for five weeks.
Happy to answer any questions though.

Thanks very much - 5 weeks is quite some holiday, i'm very envious!

We're always coming down to cornwall so it would be good to meet up at some other point later in the year.

We're just starting to get our heads around the California generally at the moment, understanding the differences between the T5, T5.1 and T6, what are the key things to watch out for and look at.

The more we (wife and I) have been talking about it, the more we're starting to think a late T5.1 (2015 possibly) might be the right way to go, at about the £40-42k mark. Low miles, nice condition with a bit of warranty left, but we are going to try and see as many as we can to see how they wear over time.

I'll give you a shout when we're down again later in the year, cheers and have a good holiday

So out of interest where do you come from when you go to Cornwall, there may be some one near where you live can show you round one.

Leicestershire. There's a 2015 I think at the Kettering dealer, which we want to have a look at, but I'm more interested in talking to actual owners as the dealers just tell you anything you want to hear to sell you it (that i've found, anyway)

Leicestershire. There's a 2015 I think at the Kettering dealer, which we want to have a look at, but I'm more interested in talking to actual owners as the dealers just tell you anything you want to hear to sell you it (that i've found, anyway)
I've got a standard conversion, based on a T6 panel van, from one of the bigger outfits rather than a California but you are more than welcome to come over and have a good look over it sometime for comparison purposes. I'm in Burbage near Hinckley (less than a mile from the A5/M69 junction).

Do you really need a Cali, they are just overpriced vans after all no matter what you read on the other forum. I would ask yourself what do you need it for because you can build something to suit your needs. My Beach is quite basic because after having a Cali SE years ago we found we never used any of the stuff in the van anyway. We found the sink a waste of time and did not fill the water take because you only got cold water from it. Why you need a waste tank is past me. The cooker was useful as was the fridge but storage I found was rubbish especially the wardrobe. When we went camping in it we found bed really cramped for two so after that used a Kyham Motordome to sleep in and I cooked outside hence this time I bought a Beach but would probably have been better off getting a Kombi and doing what I wanted to it. Other Cali owners on here will have different views and it will work for them

Conversely we use everything on ours and this is our 4th 5+ week trip in one (our last was a T5.1 180 4motion). Plus countless other shorter trips/stays at parties/etc.

There are some compromises; the lower bed is narrow thanks to the kitchen cabinets, you have to make and unmake the bed each night and morning but if you're willing to be flexible, they are ideal.

I think for a family (4 of us) in Winter it would be tough as washing up indoors is tricky as is showering outside but for other times of the year? Ideal. You need to be very outdoorsy; they aren't ideal for sitting inside all day watching TV/DVD and wet days in a Cali are a trial but the nice days more than make up for it.

We are currently here; good waves, loads of space, loos nearby, etc. Full on wild camping is tricky with no loo or shower but it still can be done for a limited time. We've done 7 nights free camping, two in a campsite; €40 a night to be jammed up against a load of motorhomes is rapidly losing its appeal.

20449086_10154699123497805_1339801406926077774_o.jpg

There are currently five other Calis here, mostly French, mostly more basic than ours but it shows how useful they are.

Go with an open mind and you'll have the time of your life.

You could get a nearly new T6 and a good conversion for that sort of money...appreciate that might be a faff and there are waiting times involved, but my conversion took 3 weeks from sourcing the van and it's pretty much what we wanted and was a good few thousand below your budget.

Last edited:
Budget wise, look out for a low mile 140 T5.1; avoid the 180 at all costs (we had one). Serious engine/emissions nightmares.

Just FYI we got ours built to order for just shy of £50k. That's a 204 4motion Ocean with a light smattering of options we needed.

Back