California aux battery problems - Low and not charging

JandJ2021

Good day,

My main car battery recently died so I ended up re-charging the battery with another boosting battery and cable. I was able to re-start the car, but since then the auxiliary battery constantly indicates low battery and no lights, nor fridge, nor electric roof top works. Even the control panel to control all electrics doesn't work. I did a 500 km journey and I though I would be able to get all batteries in the car re-charged but my auxiliary battery doesn't charge for some reasons. I do have the more powerful alternator that was available as an option when I bought the car and it is obviously working as my main car battery is fully charged now.

Anyone could help identifying why I am not able to get my auxiliary battery charged and electric camping gear usable anymore?

Thanks

Check the fuse between the starter battery and aux battery. I think it's 80a under the seat.

Hi Deaky,

Thanks for the comments. I went in my California today and checked every fuses under the seat one by one. Unfortunately, none of them appears to be defective. Furthermore, there are no 80a under the seat. I also checked the main vehicle fuze box and there are no 80a either.

I read once more the manual and I am wondering something. I always expected the car to do the recharging of the auxiliary battery, but is there a time where it may need extra charging power from connecting the vehicle power extension on the side of the vehicle for 24 hours? In the manual, it is suggested I do that before checking the fuse box. I don't have easy access to a charging station, but should yourself or another T6 enthusiast could confirm it is definitely worth a try, I'll go and find a friend to help out with the recharging.

In any case, I do have an appointment in two weeks, but I would prefer to sort this out on my own before having a VW technician to look at it for something that could easily be sorted on my own.

Thanks.

got some pics of the setup, batteries, the control panel. . . etc etc

The T6.1 has a slightly different fuse setup. it has 2 batteries one under the seat and one below the rear wardrobe.
The split charger is fused in a couple of places, first check the fuse SG3 in the carrier on top of the under seat battery. These are MIDI fuses, and you will need a meter to check them.
1663681151145.png
Then check the fuse SJ2 on top of the starter battery.
1663681233993.png

This and more great resourses are available to VIP members in the download section.

Back