Cali or coachbuild?

If given the chance would you guys swap your self converted van or coach built camper, for a vw california, do you guys see the benefit in owning g one

Depends on the level of your build. If it’s a cheap conversion rather have the Cali.

I cannot get over the price of them when new - its a van!

I’d rather have a conversion and money in the bank.

Oh yes definitely wouldn't be knew that's for sure, basically as per some of my other threads we've been searching for the right van, trying to weigh up pros and cons, and now thinking is it better to just go for something ready made and know the history of how its been made, one major thing I'm set on having is a sliding bench hence looking into caravelles of late, I cant help think alot of what a cali comes with I wouldn't need

Little side note I've just come across vanspace 3d software, has anyone used this or anything similar when trying to come up with their layouts

Look at California Beach, little upgrade from Caravelle to spend the night out.

I’m sure I’d love the Cali and no, I cannot afford one, but I’ve really enjoyed working with the family to decide exactly what we need and want, then putting it into action.

We placed an order for a Cali literally just before the big ‘C’ saga, after a year of no show and lack of communication from dealer we cancelled, I’m now slowly converting a van, in hindsight, wish we waited for the Cali to arrive.
I now really appreciate how much time/work/skill and expense goes into a full van conversion and understand why a good conversion costs so much

Having done further research it's such a shame they weren't available in LWB , I think I'm.going.to ease off ideas for.the.moment as I just can't quote fully decide/commit to which route to go down

Having done further research it's such a shame they weren't available in LWB , I think I'm.going.to ease off ideas for.the.moment as I just can't quote fully decide/commit to which route to go down
Maybe try to get over to Busfest for the day, in September, you will see just about every type of vw campervan layout possible,57B14BB5-CA7D-4794-AA18-0BD299E6E2F6.jpeg

That's not a bad shout actually , I don't think I'd be able to make it this year but hopefully next year for more inspiration

Look at California Beach, little upgrade from Caravelle to spend the night out.
We did seriously look at this. You could argue that a Beach Tour with 2 extra seats is a sort of Caravelle.

For us the issue was that as the equipment spec is so basic by the time you had added everything it was pushing an Ocean price.

If given the chance would you guys swap your self converted van or coach built camper, for a vw california, do you guys see the benefit in owning g one
I didn't self convert, but I wouldn't swap my professionally converted van - the electric system in the Cali is sub-standard by comparison, plus you can't get a LWB Cali.

I'm starting to waiver between self convert or something along lines of caravelle conversion but feel cost could spiral , big points I want are LWB and rear aircon and sliding seats/bed , which wouldn't be fitted to a panel van hence needed the caravelle

Little side note I've just come across vanspace 3d software, has anyone used this or anything similar when trying to come up with their layouts
I played with Vanspace. It was useful for playing with the space in a fantasy Crafter build. I did a version of the Transporter, just for fun.

I much prefer a LWB van, so to answer your original question, no, I wouldn’t swap mine for a more cramped and expensive one.

Sliding seats/bed - lots of options besides Caravelle rails, there’s a thread or two on here. Rear aircon- I only have it in the front, but it does cool the whole van.

Back