Buying a t6 with wrong engine oil

Wozza

I’ve found a just about perfect spec 150 highlife DSG, 4YR old 66k miles but….. only has 1 VW service at 13k/9months and other random services have used seemingly the wrong engine oil (charged at £20 on service invoice) it’s just had VW do a full dsg service and had the cam belt done.
is it a walk away case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Better to have had frequent ‘wrong oil’ and filter changes than one correct oil change in 4 years.

We don’t get extreme weather here so in my opinion the exact viscosity of oil isn’t that crucial, so what oil and filter have they used?

Not sure on exactly what product/type but obvs not vw as only £20 as opposed to vw £80 cost……

VW oil is almost certainly the same as many manufacturers, its a lot more about the small print which gives very useful info. they are way too expensive, issue (long term oil) and then want to change it in a year. if you go into a respectable car spares place and talk to the blokes behind the counter they will talk you through it and it will be loads cheaper. these other firms wouldn't survive if there filters and oil were crap

take a pick and ask your self why vw charges that much?

take a pick and ask your self why vw charges that much?
Not really sure what you're getting at?

I use this one on my VW Golf for annual oil change which I do my self and i get it for £10 for a 5L from my local agri machinery repair business

4YR old 66k miles but….. only has 1 VW service at 13k/9months
Regardless of which oil was used if the information you have supplied is correct it hasn’t been serviced correctly.
I assume you have checked with VW for service history and not made assumptions.

ref the " cheap oil" or wrong oil as the OP hasnt clarified... cheap doesnt always mean incorrect - I recently bought 20 litres of Fanfaro 507.00 full synth oil for 60 euro

Regardless of which oil was used if the information you have supplied is correct it hasn’t been serviced correctly.
I assume you have checked with VW for service history and not made assumptions.
But it may have had more oil/filter changes than VW recommend (which is a good thing) just not using their dealers or oil.

Op needs to detail how many oil/filter changes in 4 years because you’d be hard pressed to find a ‘crap’ oil these days and if the oil changes have been 6 monthly I’d have no issue with it.

My van gets 6 monthly oil/filter changes at an independent, no idea what oil they use, but it’s not in the engine long enough to deteriorate that badly.

TLDR - IMO better to change cheap oil frequently than to change it every 2 years with a more expensive oil. I hate long life servicing, keep your diesel oil clean :cool:

Just to chip in, there's a couple of things to consider here. There's oil grade (e.g. 0W30) and oil specification (e.g. ACEA C3 or VW 504.00 / 507.00). The first is the viscosity - how the oil flows around the engine in cold and operating temperature conditions. The second is more around how the oil affects the after treatment system of the engine (e.g. soot in the EGR and DPF from any oil that gets burnt during the engine operation). Frequent changes of a wrong specification oil may lead to an EGR clogging up or a DPF filling with ash earlier although the actual combustion engine will be in great condition.

If that is your only concern, I'd be visiting or ringing the garage that did the servicing to find out what oil they actually used. The chances are that the oil was to the correct grade and spec but as they buy it in bulk (probably for £1.50 - £2 a litre), even with a 100% mark up on price the oil has been charged at £20.

I’m lead to believe the heat generated and speed of turbo impeller will break down substandard oil causing poorer lubrication over duration to next change….but by what degree is obvs unknown but I I guess the bigger the mileage the worse the problem gets…..

Thanks mooncat, points duly noted and yes I have a phone number

Substandard oil maybe.........., but if it's the correct grade should be no problem. I think there would be loads of posts on here about turbo problems.....

At the end of the day whatever you read here you will/should make your own mind up and not be "led to believe"

Back