Buy 4 Service & MOT Plan

BaggieJim

I bought my T6 in 2017 & at the time invested in a 'Buy 4 Pay Upfront' Service plan which included 1 MOT.
Knowing I wouldn't do many miles annually, I double checked the plan expiry period prior to purchase, which runs until the vehicle is 8 years old ( confirmed) and is transferable to new ownership.
This week I asked my local dealer to confirm how many services of the original 4 remain unused & was advised that the Plan expired & was no longer on their system.
I contacted Listers who said the expiry was rubbish & that's why you invest in the plan from the outset (correct) but when they contacted VW Financial Services they incorrectly informed Listers that the Service Plan expires after 4 years & to check the Ts&Cs. I have one full service legitimately remaining on the service plan.
If anyone else has had this issue & spouting of complete nonsense by VW FS, please feel free to contact me. I have their Service Plan brochure from 2017, which includes all legal Ts&Cs, plus my Buy4PayUpfront Service agreement and can provide proof that VWFS are lying & incorrectly expiring such Buy4PayUpfront Service plans inside their valid term.
I have an email from Listers Customer Manager at the time confirming the VW Buy 4 Service Plan runs for 8 years.
VWFS are defrauding their customers by expiring the Buy 4 Service 8 year plans as sold to me in 2017 saying that they only run for 4 years. It's simple in black & white, not even complicated. Slam dunk.
Their lying is abysmal, but unfortunately I come to not expect anything less.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: CAB
No worries and appreciate the nod. I've only reported the facts as happened to me, with an offer to help anyone out if they've been given incorrect information too about their same policy.
It's not even a difficult legal case which I'll be pursuing against them, unless they honour the terms. But thanks anyway.

It’s true and it’s absolute bullshit, I paid for 4 services in 2016 when I bought my T6 and when I took it for its 4th and final service the garage didn’t do anything and returned the vehicle to me untouched and told me the same bunch nonsense

I have a service contract that clearly states 4 services with no time limit and the contract expires on completion of the fourth and final service

I got in touch with VWFS who repeatedly palmed me of and refused to help but I persisted and kept at it and refused to accept no for an answer and in the end the agreed to do the service as ‘a goodwill gesture’ !!! The service that was bought and paid for was a goodwill gesture !

It's difficult to believe the audacity of VWFS, claiming good will when they're denying you something that you have legitimately paid for. By definition that is fraudulent.

It's like they honestly believe that they have authoritative power, above the law; in my opinion

Took me months to get it out of them, day off work to take van in the first time and they did nothing then loads of phone calls and emails then another day to take it back

I wont be buying any service plans or using them anymore, my new 6.1 will be getting serviced elsewhere

I bought my T6 in 2017 & at the time invested in a 'Buy 4 Pay Upfront' Service plan which included 1 MOT.
Knowing I wouldn't do many miles annually, I double checked the plan expiry period prior to purchase, which runs until the vehicle is 8 years old ( confirmed) and is transferable to new ownership.
This week I asked my local dealer to confirm how many services of the original 4 remain unused & was advised that the Plan expired & was no longer on their system.
I contacted Listers who said the expiry was rubbish & that's why you invest in the plan from the outset (correct) but when they contacted VW Financial Services they incorrectly informed Listers that the Service Plan expires after 4 years & to check the Ts&Cs. I have one full service legitimately remaining on the service plan.
If anyone else has had this issue & spouting of complete nonsense by VW FS, please feel free to contact me. I have their Service Plan brochure from 2017, which includes all legal Ts&Cs, plus my Buy4PayUpfront Service agreement and can provide proof that VWFS are lying & incorrectly expiring such Buy4PayUpfront Service plans inside their valid term.
I have an email from Listers Customer Manager at the time confirming the VW Buy 4 Service Plan runs for 8 years.
VWFS are defrauding their customers by expiring the Buy 4 Service 8 year plans as sold to me in 2017 saying that they only run for 4 years. It's simple in black & white, not even complicated. Slam dunk.
Their lying is abysmal, but unfortunately I come to not expect anything less.
Hello - just seen this post which mirrors my experience almost exactly, though I've not heard the expression "Buy 4 Pay Upfront" before

Like you I bought a service plan from VWFS in 2017 to cover my new California Ocean. As you say the Service Plan Agreement clearly states the Contract Period as "From the date of the agreement until the completion of the 4th of the following consecutive Services." I remember clearly discussing this with the sales guy at Lancashire VW Van Centre in Preston and how, given the 2 year service interval, this would cover me for 8 years. So far I've only had this agreement applied to my 2019 & 2021 service but similar to you, I was told last week by Lancashire VW Van centre's service that the agreement had expired after 4 years - not pleased.

Couldn't make any progress with the dealer so took up the matter with VWFS who listened sympathetically and agreed to register a mis-selling complaint. I've followed this up with a strong email telling them I'll be suing unless the give a valid explanation or reinstate the plan. Their reply is pure woffle and delaying tactics - I've given the 2 weeks to reply before I start a small claim against them. In the meantime I've got the van booked in for a service & MOT in a fortnight which will likely cost ~£500.

VW after sale service seems like a real scam. I had a creaky side door and was quoted just short of £1k to investigate - turned out to be a lubrication issue. Front running light intermittent - quoted £200 for replacement bulb holder, local garage fixed it for a tenner. After this next service I'm done with them.

Questions.
My agreement is headed "Q1 New Trans Buy 4 349" - is that the same one you took out - I don't recall anything about an MOT?
How did your complaint pan out- did they agree to pay for the final service?

Hi Des,
Good to hear from you & shared experience. Just quickly, VWFS got back to me just last week apologising & they have admitted liability and an 'IT error' in terminating the agreement prematurely. If you're confident with your terms as it appears, sit it out & do not give in.
It's taken about 5 weeks to investigate my case and to reinstate the original & correct terms.
Not sure how many others would have been impacted and just accepted what they were initially fobbed off with.
My outline plan is attached. Cheers
ps happy to send you my plan for comparison if you want.

20221214_140857.jpg

Hello - just seen this post which mirrors my experience almost exactly, though I've not heard the expression "Buy 4 Pay Upfront" before

Like you I bought a service plan from VWFS in 2017 to cover my new California Ocean. As you say the Service Plan Agreement clearly states the Contract Period as "From the date of the agreement until the completion of the 4th of the following consecutive Services." I remember clearly discussing this with the sales guy at Lancashire VW Van Centre in Preston and how, given the 2 year service interval, this would cover me for 8 years. So far I've only had this agreement applied to my 2019 & 2021 service but similar to you, I was told last week by Lancashire VW Van centre's service that the agreement had expired after 4 years - not pleased.

Couldn't make any progress with the dealer so took up the matter with VWFS who listened sympathetically and agreed to register a mis-selling complaint. I've followed this up with a strong email telling them I'll be suing unless the give a valid explanation or reinstate the plan. Their reply is pure woffle and delaying tactics - I've given the 2 weeks to reply before I start a small claim against them. In the meantime I've got the van booked in for a service & MOT in a fortnight which will likely cost ~£500.

VW after sale service seems like a real scam. I had a creaky side door and was quoted just short of £1k to investigate - turned out to be a lubrication issue. Front running light intermittent - quoted £200 for replacement bulb holder, local garage fixed it for a tenner. After this next service I'm done with them.

Questions.
My agreement is headed "Q1 New Trans Buy 4 349" - is that the same one you took out - I don't recall anything about an MOT?
How did your complaint pan out- did they agree to pay for the final service?
Don't forget the Financial Ombudsman Service, they will help you to resolve for free.
VWFS have to pay their fee - £750 minimum, so normally better for them to resolve with you directly.
Even better if you paid on a credit card.

Don't forget the Financial Ombudsman Service, they will help you to resolve for free.
VWFS have to pay their fee - £750 minimum, so normally better for them to resolve with you directly.
Even better if you paid on a credit card.
Thanks Trevor. Very good point, though I have to say my previous experience with the Financial Ombudsman was not great.
If I recall correctly, the cost of the service agreement was added to the total cost of the van which was paid for on finance. The agreement along with an extended warranty was only available if you took out finance. The sales guy gave me a nod when everything was in place and I paid of the finance (as is your right) after just a month. Maybe they marked my cards as a result!

Hi Des,
Good to hear from you & shared experience. Just quickly, VWFS got back to me just last week apologising & they have admitted liability and an 'IT error' in terminating the agreement prematurely. If you're confident with your terms as it appears, sit it out & do not give in.
It's taken about 5 weeks to investigate my case and to reinstate the original & correct terms.
Not sure how many others would have been impacted and just accepted what they were initially fobbed off with.
My outline plan is attached. Cheers
ps happy to send you my plan for comparison if you want.

View attachment 186443
Thanks for getting back Jim

Looks like our agreements are similar but different. I had to chase up VWFS to get confirmation of my agreement along with T&Cs - took about 2 months. They sent me a rather poor photocopy of the cover page and the small print. Unfortunately the small print is difficult to read but the cover sheet is clear - see attached. Be assured that I'll be chasing them on this using whatever channels I can! Thanks again for your input - I'll keep the forum posted.

VW_Service_Agreement_Redacted.jpg

Thanks for getting back Jim

Looks like our agreements are similar but different. I had to chase up VWFS to get confirmation of my agreement along with T&Cs - took about 2 months. They sent me a rather poor photocopy of the cover page and the small print. Unfortunately the small print is difficult to read but the cover sheet is clear - see attached. Be assured that I'll be chasing them on this using whatever channels I can! Thanks again for your input - I'll keep the forum posted.

View attachment 186448
Hi Des,
Here's my agreement. Same wording except the numbers which I believe relates to the price excluding VAT. Otherwise the same.

I have all paperwork & brochures in effect at that time with their T&Cs. Don't get fobbed off mate, they're liable & they know it.

Screenshot_20230131_180246_Drive.jpg

Thanks Jim

Interesting difference in price. Can I ask if you bought your vehicle on finance? My reason for using finance was because I got cashback from the salesman, along with a discounted extended warranty and service agreement. The salesman gave me a nod when all benefits were in place and I simply paid off the finance after just one month's interest - which is your right under the consumer credit act or somesuch.

Back