Burning plastic smell new t6.1

Chippy1970

Carpenter
T6 Guru
Had a burning plastic smell in the cab of my van today , only done 50 miles so far.

Would this be something to do with the diesel filter or adblue etc ? Or could it be something else ?

Have a look underneath to see if anything is catching on the exhaust, particularly near the front.

Pete

Mine did this when new when doing a dpf regeneration, more of a burning rubber smell and settled down over the first few thousand miles

what he said . . . . DPF regen stink.

it will die down after a few K` miles . . .

It’s a brand new van at 50 miles. Could be a dpf, but that’s a very low mileage for a regen. Could just be all the components heating up. I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about. Call VW assist if you are worried.

New vans often do this, the new exhaust can have oil or underbody seal on it etc. soon burns off.
Next will be the first winter morning below 5deg and the water heater will fire up and you will probably smell that the first few times it runs.

New vans often do this, the new exhaust can have oil or underbody seal on it etc. soon burns off.
Next will be the first winter morning below 5deg and the water heater will fire up and you will probably smell that the first few times it runs.

Yeah exhaust was one thing I thought too, no water heater on mine just a panel van.

I had a really bad burning smell from new and it stopped at about 4,000 miles. 4 years old now and 44,000 miles in . Wish it still was new!

Back