If you could do it all again...what would you do different?

My T6 for most of its life was too low, the suspension too hard and the ABT splitter too vulnerable to kerbs.

I did rectify this in the end with Koni shocks and Evo springs from CRS/Van Cave which raised it and improved the ride quality.

But the more swampers I saw the more I wanted one, so in 6 weeks time I’ll have the ultimate 6.1 swamper and will never need to avoid a kerb again.

I would not have the usual gas installation; no 2 burner gas hob, no gas grill and no gas cylinder cupboard.
Instead I’d replace it with an induction hob and find a way to add much more battery capacity.
Gas is more efficient, but I just prefer electric, but also not being tethered to EHU opens up more options.

I would not have the usual gas installation; no 2 burner gas hob, no gas grill and no gas cylinder cupboard.
Instead I’d replace it with an induction hob and find a way to add much more battery capacity.
Gas is more efficient, but I just prefer electric, but also not being tethered to EHU opens up more options.
Same thought here. One of those 230ah under seat LiFePo is only £800 now. Bang 300w+ of solar and job’s a good un.
Need a twin slider again so that I can put the inverter and dc-dc on the back of the units, instead of under the seat.

Love mine, have no regrets. The only thing I would change if doing it again is choosing a LWB - using that extra space for a mountain bike garage similar to the CJW competition layout.

Reactions: CAB
I might entertain the idea of starting with a panel van rather than a Caravelle given how much of the interior and electrics I'll be replacing. That is, if I could find a good spec - stupid things like no climate control in any of the std vans I've seen. But then I'd end up replacing most of the panel van interior too, to get it up to a decent spec... Swings and roundabouts.

That would give me the option of LWB and a pop top too.

Reactions: CAB
I don't have any regrets but in hindsight I got through a few awnings until in my eye I found one that fitted all the criteria I didn't know I needed at the time detachable groundsheet entrances and windows in the right places and one just the right size to fit on a C&MH club pitch without being lectured to about it being to wide

I might entertain the idea of starting with a panel van rather than a Caravelle given how much of the interior and electrics I'll be replacing. That is, if I could find a good spec - stupid things like no climate control in any of the std vans I've seen. But then I'd end up replacing most of the panel van interior too, to get it up to a decent spec... Swings and roundabouts.

That would give me the option of LWB and a pop top too.
LWB T32 Highline Kombi was our best buy, then fitted a Reimo high roof. Fantastic amount of space available with a Reimo Variotech seat/bed and big lockers in both ends of the roof. Eberspacher underneath to keep us warm as well. Obviously only two berth built like that but that's what we needed.
Link above on page 1 post #15 to have a look if you wish.

I don't have any regrets but in hindsight I got through a few awnings until in my eye I found one that fitted all the criteria I didn't know I needed at the time detachable groundsheet entrances and windows in the right places and one just the right size to fit on a C&MH club pitch without being lectured to about it being to wide
100% agree with everything you said apart from we’ve had issues with C&CC sites. Feels a bit like red riding hood, first one was way too big, second one was way too heavy, third one is just right

Knowing what I know now, I’d have probably stuck with my original Plan A and built a campervan myself based on a new LWB petrol engined AWD hightop panel van. I decided not to because of the hassle I’d have got from my other half as I thought it would take me a year to find one and do the work, and I couldn’t wait as my time was needed to undertake other projects.

In the end, Plan B was to buy an off-the-shelf California but as it wasn’t available as a LWB or with hot water (and was outrageously expensive), I decided to go for Plan C, the converter route. Finding a reliable company who could come up with the goods and build to a decent standard wasn’t easy though. Ironically though, it took over 2 years to finally take delivery of my van.

Frankly, having looked around at the market for over three years, the build quality of many converter-built campers I’ve seen leaves a lot to be desired. Going with a VW Approved converter and having type approval has proved a wise choice. Diesel power sucks too, because of all issues and maintenance costs associated with the emissions control systems, hence the feeling that a TSI would have been a far better choice for us even though fuel costs would be higher.

No one tells you that the downside to having a pop-top fitted is that it’s nigh on impossible to subsequently route wiring to the rear with one. If I’d have built it myself I’d have ensured that it was a high top and all the habitation wiring (from the starter battery rearwards) was within conduits to simplify retro-fitting (rear, dash cams, reversing cameras, solar, lights, ICE, etc) as required. Also, I’d have minimised panel cutting by not putting EHU, water fillers, vents, etc. on outer body panels but instead incorporate these into grills, the underbody, and have a water filler inside at the rear. And, like @EAN, I’d go gasless with no gas appliances fitted inside the van.

Last edited:
Not so much regret (yet?) but I do wish we could have found our Caravelle with:

• 4Motion (too many years of XC70 ownership, I'm going to forget and get stuck)
  • Diesel Heater
  • Factory Second battery

But they aren't deal breakers and it seemed I was chasing a niche within a niche so I'm more than happy with what we have.

I may get around to doing a aux battery install, but at the minute with a small power pack doing some lighting, battery lights and an Alpicool with a battery itself there is no great need, it would just be a good safety net. Mostly what puts me off is not adding the stuff, it's that to make it worth it I need to move lots of stuff so that aux power sockets come off the new battery and move the rear lights. A project for when the van is a little older and I'm less nervous about really chopping into the factory wiring.

Same thought here. One of those 230ah under seat LiFePo is only £800 now. Bang 300w+ of solar and job’s a good un.
Need a twin slider again so that I can put the inverter and dc-dc on the back of the units, instead of under the seat.
Got the 230ah, haven’t worked out how much solar I actually need: This season is testing with a portable 200W before committing to something permanent on the roof. When we cook on electric we are using 1Ah per minute!!

Knowing what I know now, I’d have stuck with my original Plan A and built a campervan myself based on a new LWB petrol engined AWD hightop panel van. I decided not to because of the hassle I’d have got from my other half as I thought it would take me a year to find one and do the work, and I couldn’t wait as my time was needed to undertake other projects.

In the end, Plan B was to buy an off-the-shelf California but as it wasn’t available as a LWB or with hot water (and was outrageously expensive), I decided to go for Plan C, the converter route. Ironically though, it took over 2 years to take delivery of my van and cost at least 25% - 30% more than a DIY build.

Frankly, having looked around at the market for over three years and had my own camper for 8 months now, the standard of converter-built campers isn’t particularly high in my view. Diesel power sucks too, because of all issues and maintenance costs associated with the emissions control systems, hence the feeling that a TSI would have been a far better choice for us even though fuel costs would be higher.

No one tells you that the downside to having a pop-top fitted is that you’ll be driven to distraction with a permanently rattling roof panel 9” above your head and it’s nigh on impossible to route wiring to the rear with one. If I’d have built it myself I’d have ensured that it was a high top and all the habitation wiring (from the starter battery rearwards) was within conduits to simplify retro-fitting (rear, dash cams, reversing cameras, solar, lights, ICE, etc) as required. Also, I’d have minimised panel cutting by not putting EHU, water fillers, vents, etc. on outer body panels but instead incorporate these into grills, the underbody, and have a water filler inside at the rear. And, like @EAN, I’d go gasless with no gas appliances fitted inside the van.
I probably should have built my own in hindsight!!!

Got the 230ah, haven’t worked out how much solar I actually need: This season is testing with a portable 200W before committing to something permanent on the roof. When we cook on electric we are using 1Ah per minute!!
If you cook for 30 mins using 30ah, you'll need 360watt-hours to replenish your 30ah, so based on an average 100w from your 200w panel, 3.6 hours at 100w. That's if you've got sun, of course! :rofl:

Last edited:
Back