Bunch of issues

Van has been into VW for an electrical diagnostic and they’ve come back with ‘urgent work’ required;
Rattling flywheel £1689
Vane pump excessive leaking £1182
Play in steering rack, power steering fluid burnt £ 1596

Note no price for the actual electric fault yet!

The van is a 2017 that’s just hit 50k miles. Are these issues expected?

We’ve had the van 9 months and done 8k miles in it, we do have a warranty on it. Do you think any of it is warrantable?

Struggle to believe none of this existed when we got the van in honesty. Flew through an mot with 0 notes and none of it was picked up in the service last month, all done by the garage we bought the van from…

Jeez.

Is this at a main dealer?

Flywheel can be a common issue.... Can you hear it wattle when cold in morning? They can be known to go at lower miles.

50k miles seems very low for steering rack problem?.. not heard of burnt fluid before.

Not sure what vane pump we are referring too.

I think if it was me it takes to a local vw indy for a second opinion.?

Also. What was there electrical fault?

Jeez.

Is this at a main dealer?

Flywheel can be a common issue.... Can you hear it wattle when cold in morning? They can be known to go at lower miles.

50k miles seems very low for steering rack problem?.. not heard of burnt fluid before.

Not sure what vane pump we are referring too.

I think if it was me it takes to a local vw indy for a second opinion.?

Also. What was there electrical fault?
Yeah, VW Van centre in Wrexham.

The flywheel I've not heard it, although I don't know what I'm listening for. We've had noise on cold starts but believe that has been from the steering as you can feel it up through the steering wheel and it gets louder on turns at low speeds.

Steering rack, the engineer states there is play in the steering rack and the power steering fluid is dirty/burnt. Could relate to the above.

Vane pump, the video states there is excessive leaking and coolant residue on the water pump if that helps.

The electrical fault is an ongoing issue with warning messages on the dash (bulbs, radar etc) although everything appears to be functioning properly. VW have had it for two weeks so far and have no idea what the issue is.

I will get a second opinion when I get the van back, but I'm in a pickle with the warranty and the garage I bought the van from. The warranty is a 'back to home warranty' (apparently) so the garage I bought the van from insists on doing any work and they choose what to approve on their warranty. They didn't notice any of these issues on the service they did a week before we dropped it into VW for electrical works so confidence isn't high.

We've also had it pointed out that its not had a brake fluid change or DSG oil service despite the garage we bought the van from doing the servicing on their servicing pack. Apparently we 'hadn't asked for it' although we are laymen just giving it them to service when the van stated, assuming everything was being done.

Last edited:
hmm, sounds like they are having a field day with your van.

DSG oil/filter service is due around every 45K miles, (so due if its been missed)

brake fluid change due around every 40k miles, (so due if its been missed)

if water pump is leaking it needs doing ASAP, this will involve the CAMBELT + rollers being changed at same time.

steering rack - never heard of wear that low in mileage before, or burnt oil - only oil leaks - second opinion reqd,

electrics - need to be more specific.

Back