Advice / Help - Steering Rack Problem 2017 VWT6

Angela

Heya guys, you all usually have great advice for me, I own a VW T6 2017. It only has 12,500 miles on as it’s a Holiday and picnic wagon. We had the conversion from new.

I have not long been told I have a steering rack leak after taking it in for a service. We have just moved to devon and the VW garage that did the service and cam belt change was lovely but I felt that a steering rack shouldn’t pack up after 12,500 miles.

I contacted the Customer Relations department of VW to give them my point of view and basically ask them to contribute to a replacement part as I feel this part must have been unfit for purpose as it can’t be something I need to replace every 12,500 miles.

The man pretty much said tough luck and if the garage wished to offer us out of warranty help they would have. I did try to explain to the man on the phone the garage doesnt really owe us any favours as we are new customers to them we used to live in the Midlands so used a Midlands Dealership for the purchase and servicing.

Well basically after talking to them Customer Relations wiped their hands of us but luckily the Dealership in Devon did offer us 10% off the bill.

Has anybody else had premature failures of T6 steering racks and who did you contact to get yours sorted out.

I really feel that VW should be responsible for premature failure of steering racks but I’m trying to get a feel for how bad the problem is.

I suspect it could be another case of VW trying to cover up another Safety related issue.

As a side note does anyone know of any good garages around North Devon I’m kinda fed up with VW now they want me to pay just over £1600 for the replacement. I’m sure it can be done cheaper elsewhere as I’m sure I have seen the part being sold for about £500 quid.

Thank you for reading this and a Bigger thank you if you can help me sort this out.

I own a T6, 69 plate with less than 5,000 genuine miles on the clock. It has been professionally converted as a camper van and I took ownership at 320 miles. I recently had a problem with the steering getting very heavy, checked the fluid level which was low and topped it up. It was due an MOT and routine service. The VW dealership carrying out the service state that it needs a new steering rack fitted as the fluid was leaking past the seals and weeping out the gators. Quoted price, just over £1,836.
I definitely think this shows that some of the steering racks VW are using are not fit for purpose.

Back