Brittany Ferries

Gavandi

VIP Member
T6 Guru
:smile bounce:
Hi Folks
Am off to France again later in the year.
Going to use Brittany Ferries.

Anybody got a friends and families code that they are happy to offer to a T6 “Friend”?

We used to use Brittany all the time, but they started taking the p155 with prices. I now use DFDS Newhaven/Dieppe, half the price of Brittany, even cheaper if you book through the Caravan & Camping Club. You can overnight on the ferry terminals too if you have an early crossing.

Reactions: DXX
I just booked Portsmouth-Cherbourg return in August £550 ! Couldn’t believe it . It’s to late now , but any advise on reducing crossing costs?

As above.
They are never cheap esp in high season.
Just enjoy your holiday.
It will probably be more expensive after the fiasco on Tuesday!!

I just booked Portsmouth-Cherbourg return in August £550 ! Couldn’t believe it . It’s to late now , but any advise on reducing crossing costs?
Just as a comparison, Newhaven to Dieppe on 12th August @0900 is £125 with the CCC

We used to use Brittany all the time, but they started taking the p155 with prices. I now use DFDS Newhaven/Dieppe, half the price of Brittany, even cheaper if you book through the Caravan & Camping Club. You can overnight on the ferry terminals too if you have an early crossing.
@Salty Spuds Are there any facilities if you overnight at the terminal? Alternatively we may look at the overnight ferry, do yo7 have any experience of this one?

Last edited:

That’s easy , the tunnel and drive ...... the French tolls aren’t too painful and make covering the miles so easy and quickly

We are heading for west coast , Southern Brittany. I did weigh up the tunnel . But with two girls aged 4&6 I decided to limit travel time .
I’m one hour from Portsmouth but three hrs from Dover . Then probably 5 hrs from Calais to where we’re headed .
Also looked at sailing to st Malo, but long crossing put me off this route .

We are heading for west coast , Southern Brittany. I did weigh up the tunnel . But with two girls aged 4&6 I decided to limit travel time .
I’m one hour from Portsmouth but three hrs from Dover . Then probably 5 hrs from Calais to where we’re headed .

Hi
Portsmouth to St Malo is very convenient for that part of France
St Malo/Dinard/Dinan are all superb if you want to stay there after or before the ferry.
The crossing is part of the holiday.
Portsmouth great before the crossing for lunch etc.
Plenty to do on the ferry.

Can recommend Quimper as a great place to go - lots to do.

Bon voyage mes amis!

Personally i think that the extra miles and tolls offset the cheaper crossings from Kent if you are heading South into France and dont live close ‘ish’ to Folkestone or Dover.

Don’t discount the St Malo ferry because its longer, you could get a night crossing with a cabin and arrive in France fresh and with a full day ahead of you, ok it might cost a bit more but you wont need to be in Portsmouth until around 9pm so could get away straight after work/school and effectively get another days holiday.

If you want to keep the cost down have a look at ferries into Le Havre, these are cheaper because its classed as an economy ferry but if you are going overnight that wont matter (we use it regularly and if they didn’t tell you it was economy you probably wouldn’t know)

We are going overnight into Le Havre on the 21st August and back 13th Sept on the 6pm boat from Cherbourg, this suits us as our break starts straight after work and we have all day to get to Cherbourg on the last day so we dont need to stay too close to the port.

Just as a word of warning, the migrants seem to have cottoned onto the Normandy ports (especially Caen) so if you are on an early ferry home don't plan to have a sneaky night outside the port, my advice would be to stay a few miles out and set your alarm 30 minutes earlier.

We used to travel Portsmouth to Le Harve with DFDS but they don't sail from their any more. Shame as it was really good value.

The last couple of years we've gone from Poole to Cherbourg (you can overnight at Poole in the ferry lane). 0730hrs departure arriving about 1400hrs, returned times are 1700hrs (cherbourg) 2130hrs Poole.

If you book via Alan Rogers (now owned by the caravan club) it is often much more cost effective - 01342 336621

might be worth a try?

thanks
jezzer

Hi, have any of you regulars used Aires in Normandy? We're off on a pre-Brexit tour in March via Poole Cherbourg. Any travel tips would be appreciated. We have the Aires guide, maps , Rough Guide and Michelin guide, so manual and Google maps too!

thanks

We've had some good deals in the past but all we use now is the tunnel. I buy 10 crossings (frequent traveller member) and that works out at approx. £48 per corssing. Depending on the peak times we sometimes have to pay a supplement of £20 but its still way cheaper than buying a normal return crossing. We went to France over new years and the normal return tunnel was £200+ and most of the good ferry times were sold out (we left if quite late).

Ferries were OK but the added time and potential cost of cabin (we had 2 young children then) meant the tunnel was more attractive.

Hi, have any of you regulars used Aires in Normandy? We're off on a pre-Brexit tour in March via Poole Cherbourg. Any travel tips would be appreciated. We have the Aires guide, maps , Rough Guide and Michelin guide, so manual and Google maps too!

thanks

I’ve not used Aires as the wife wont sleep in them (as a result of someone telling her that Romanians would put sleeping gas into your van and rob you when your asleep??) but lots of small towns and villages welcome campers as it brings a bit of trade to the local area, they normally have a small area reserved for campers close to the centre or there’s the camping municipal which are normally clean and cheap enough (unless you want free)

Hey, I was told by a mate with a T5 SWB that he books onboard the ferries as a car so doesn't pay the exorbitant rates for vans as the SWB is about the same length as the average estate or chavvy X5. I've not tried yet but does anyone else do this?

Hey, I was told by a mate with a T5 SWB that he books onboard the ferries as a car so doesn't pay the exorbitant rates for vans as the SWB is about the same length as the average estate or chavvy X5. I've not tried yet but does anyone else do this?
We always go on DFDS as oversized car.. Its Eurotunnel that gets funny as they use the classification on DVLA so motorcaravan gets a premium charged.

Back