Under Engine Cover Protection?

tram

Engineer
T6 Pro
I have just changed oil for first time. Lying there waiting to put the plug back in i could see the alternator and other electrical stuff. It all looked a bit too exposed to the elements to me. I am wondering if there should be a cover for the bottom of the engine.

For some reason kombi get them and panel vans don't

@tram there is a discussion on here that covers this subject and purchasing a part that just bolts into place and not too expensive either. I know @Pauly has looked at this.

Yes as above the bottom cover is available it secures easily with a few bolts into existing fixing holes underneath but being VW it is a touch expensive a bit over hundred quid if memory serves

@tram look under page 2 of the index for this area at the thread "Engine Bay Covers" which has two pages. Sorry but I don't know how to copy and paste a link to it.​

Well, it was quite alarming to see the engine components as exposed as that, so I will have to cover it. I may as well buy one at that price. But I am very pleased that I can buy one. If you can sell me one then I am happy to buy one from you, Pauly.

I'm after one too, its shocking on a 35k van it does not come with one already!

That thread is for top engine covers
There is one about the bottom under tray here
https://www.t6forum.com/threads/under-tray-for-engine.25/
I will get a price for them but due to the size postage costs will not be cheap so not sure if we can offer any savings over going to your local main dealer
Nice catch @Pauly, thank you very much for correcting my mistake and I apologize for not having opened the thread that I referenced :(:cry:.

First thing I did on mine was order one of these under engine covers and fit it up. As above, I was amazed at the exposure under the engine.... very easy to fit but I think it was about £150 from memory so not exactly cheap.

@Walski, the measure in this instance IMHO is how much value one places on the exposed sump etc ;) and the possible engine damage that can ensue if the sump is holed :cry:. Clearly you valued the protection against the potential for disaster :thumbsup:. It is difficult to understand why such trays are fitted to Kombis and not panel vans since both are likely to be used in similar circumstances and exposed to the same risks :eek:.

I agree @T6 Dave's Dad, I tried to play that card with the dealer and for a while (while the part was on order) I thought they were going to cover the cost but alas, when it came down to it, they said panels don't have it as standard so I had to pay. I do feel much happier knowing it's fitted.

Good question.... I don't think so but I've not retrospectively looked for it in the options list..... who knows what the hell they might call it!!!!
You can definately order it and have it fitted. Not sure how much they would charge to fit it but I wouldn't pay more than 'don't want to get my hands dirty money'..... it took me about 5mins to fit.

@Walski, and the possible engine damage that can ensue if the sump is holed

On the DSG box it's not 'IF' it's holed as VW have kindly put two there already...!

Pure and simple penny pinching from the VW accountants - I doubt theirs many DSG panel vans as opposed to kombis which may be why the guard is fitted on them, and probably more owner drivers who'd actually check. The slots on the gear are fully exposed to all the debris from the front wheels being angled forward and down. Without the guard it's only a matter of time before something ends up in there thats not welcome.

The dealers ekat shows the guard on the system but the UK importer has decided not to supply Panel vans with one, hence being down £150 after paying £35k for a so called premium product.

Even on a manual theirs still a lot of exposed components so I'd recommend any one with a PV to fit one-it's just four bolts and a one clip.

20160513_101313_edited_zpskfmqtrh4.jpg

Guessing these went up in VWs new year price increases, main dealer retail price for the tray and fixing bolts is £168 + vat/£202 inc vat
I can match that price but not better it as our discount is pretty much what it will cost to post it out, if you want one let me know or may be worth trying your local main dealer where you bought the van moan at them and they may offer you a bit of discount ?

Back