Boris Won’t Close This Pub

I think i must be in a minority, i used to spend a fair bit of time at home and my workshop here, but with this increased time at home I've been plodding though the list of jobs i've been meaning to get around to. Typically i would often find myself leaving the house to do favours for others in my free time and not doing my own stuff! I've got a couple more jobs i want to have a look at, including an engine rebuild on a shifter kart I've had laying about a while, finish off a drift trike i was building and also getting my Mk1 Golf GTI ready to come out the garage when all this is over and the workshop needs a major tidy up also.

Our baby is now a month old and has only left the house 3 times since he was born, so thats not ideal and a shame for family who are not able to see him in his early life. Google Duo has been used a lot more recently, I've been hosting group video chats with family so we can all chat together, its forced some of the less 'tech savvy' to embrace the technology as there really isnt a lot of alternative at the moment.

In some respects this new life suits me better, working from home is convenient and saves me 2 hours of commuting every day with the advantage of being about to help out with baby. I'm not sure how our dog is going to take it when all this is over, he was always my shadow, however more recently he barely leaves my side. when i have to go to work he is not going to be very happy!

Make the best of the situation folks as much as you can!
I work from home normally and so nothing much has changed for me except the kids are around all the time and so it’s actually been a good opportunity to spend some time with them.

I’m surprised you have time for anything with a one month old baby! I guess it’s not your first as you seem quite calm about it all (not sanitising the sanitiser etc).

We have the week off this week as planned to go away but instead spending the time decorating our bedroom (I hate decorating :mad:). In my son has been helping keep me extra busy by breaking the shower and causing a leak through the house. Turns out DIY stores are essential! And trying to find some time left over to spend chilling in our new hot hub, present for the wife in lieu of holiday and to take her mind off her work (paediatric nurse), she has the week off too which is a bit surprising with what’s going on but she was told she had to take it. But in the back of our minds we know she could get called in to support where needed at any minute, the nightingale hospital is the most likely candidate but so far so good. Anyway I’m been trying to keep too drunk to work ;)

Anyway, I’m sitting outside in my shorts cooling off after doing some sanding, having a coffee listening to the birds, who definitely haven’t got the message about staying home. Are there more or it is just that they are more noticeable? I think we all need to remember just how lucky we are. My garden is small but we are so lucky to have the space. There are so many families with no outside space at all. Our NHS is run down and underfunded but one of the best in the world with some of the best doctors and nurses in the world. Our government is lacking in experience and morals but is stable and has the foundation of a strong and highly capable civil service. I certainly have a lot to be thankful for and I hope my family and yours too stay safe until this is all over and we don’t forget what happened and what we can do when we all work together.

I’m surprised you have time for anything with a one month old baby! I guess it’s not your first as you seem quite calm about it all (not sanitising the sanitiser etc).

He is our first (and only!) baby...but im used to spinning many plates at once, so this is just another one that gets hungry every couple of hours!

Last edited:
He is our first (and only!) baby...but im used to spinning many plates at once, so this is just another one that gets hungry every couple of hours!
Fair play to you my friend. And congratulations by the way, with all you have going on in the workshop I guess you maybe have a future engineer there:thumbsup:

We are becoming Philosophical as time goes on...and we read the pain and anguish of each other’s plights...we share through our posts and laugh at some jokes....but at the end of the day...we are a community....and I hope that will get us through this..
Stay safe..

ps...sorry if this is the wrong time to ask...When we are called upon to offer and give advice ..it would be nice to know the resolution ...by sharing we all learn ( old dogs can be taught new tricks)

thank you:)

My wife and I are both classed as essential key workers, so grateful that were getting an income and able to go to work. However two weeks annual leave coming up so will be full on lock down conditions. Hoping to paint the calipers and replace back discs and pads on the van, once the paint arrives. Some decorating on the cards too.

Frustratingly the garage and shed needs a clear out but cant get to the tip and bin collections have been reduced. Lock down is however, making me return to old hobbies. Push bikes getting tune up and chains replaced. Scooter and motorbike getting polished. And 35 sqaure metres of decking that I built pre van needs repainting. Seemed a good idea at the time. All been neglected because of a certain Volkswagen. And the railway needs some permanent way work and weed removal.

However spot the VW connection in the video. ;)

My wife and I are both classed as essential key workers, so grateful that were getting an income and able to go to work. However two weeks annual leave coming up so will be full on lock down conditions. Hoping to paint the calipers and replace back discs and pads on the van, once the paint arrives. Some decorating on the cards too.

Frustratingly the garage and shed needs a clear out but cant get to the tip and bin collections have been reduced. Lock down is however, making me return to old hobbies. Push bikes getting tune up and chains replaced. Scooter and motorbike getting polished. And 35 sqaure metres of decking that I built pre van needs repainting. Seemed a good idea at the time. All been neglected because of a certain Volkswagen. And the railway needs some permanent way work and weed removal.

However spot the VW connection in the video. ;)

Yep got it ?..did they make a Santa Fe.....:rolleyes:

I guess I’m the guilty one that started this thread a couple of weeks ago, but it’s nice to see despite our current challenges, we haven’t all fallen out with each other.
Apologies for not really having much input, my mother passed away last Wednesday (not covid) and yes it was April fools day !! I’m sure this was her final bit of humour to leave us with.
It’s certainly been testing regarding sorting things out due to covid, from clearing her flat, charities not taking anything and local tip only accepting two bags a day !!
Maximum of 10 people, 2 metres apart, can’t split the ashes as they can’t be taken from crematorium. No meeting afterwards as no where open.
So what I’m saying is , as well as all those losing loved ones at this time to covid, they also have the trauma of not fulfilling final wishes they hoped for.

I guess I’m the guilty one that started this thread a couple of weeks ago, but it’s nice to see despite our current challenges, we haven’t all fallen out with each other.
Apologies for not really having much input, my mother passed away last Wednesday (not covid) and yes it was April fools day !! I’m sure this was her final bit of humour to leave us with.
It’s certainly been testing regarding sorting things out due to covid, from clearing her flat, charities not taking anything and local tip only accepting two bags a day !!
Maximum of 10 people, 2 metres apart, can’t split the ashes as they can’t be taken from crematorium. No meeting afterwards as no where open.
So what I’m saying is , as well as all those losing loved ones at this time to covid, they also have the trauma of not fulfilling final wishes they hoped for.

Sorry to hear of your loss pal
Good look going forward
Andy

Sorry for your loss..

Condolences to you and your family, covid or not it really is a tragedy that on top of losing someone close you cannot morn their passing. My thoughts are with you

I'm desperately trying to remain an alcoholic but Beerwulf are taking an absolute age to deliver my Desperado.
Not sure how I will cope with this lockdown sober.:(

My plan would be a twin slider Kombi, but no glass in the side doors to make it look like a panel van.

You can just about see through my tinted kombi windows if you are very close, and I like that.
I always empty tools out at the end of the day and I want the scumbags to be able to see that there is nothing in it to steal. You see frequent reports of panel vans being cut open by low life, I hope that they would, if they can, just look in first and not bother cutting open an empty van.
I hope I haven't tempted fate.
I know that my approach wouldn't work for everybody, just my thoughts.

My plan would be a twin slider Kombi, but no glass in the side doors to make it look like a panel van.

You can just about see through my tinted kombi windows if you are very close, and I like that.
I always empty tools out at the end of the day and I want the scumbags to be able to see that there is nothing in it to steal. You see frequent reports of panel vans being cut open by low life, I hope that they would, if they can, just look in first and not bother cutting open an empty van.
I hope I haven't tempted fate.
I know that my approach wouldn't work for everybody, just my thoughts.

Mine is also a twin slider and I would recommend keeping the windows for the reasons mentioned above.
The only tool my van carries is me but with windows in the sliders and the tailgate, any potential thief will see there is nothing inside the van worth the risk.

Back