Boris Won’t Close This Pub

When I spoke to our independent HR company their take on the announcement was that is was directed at the retail sector as they have a lot of foot traffic

Thanks for thinking of me and the rest of the self employed members in here @Ghost

My personal situation is now slightly better because i've released funds from elsewhere that will see us through for some time. Although it's still not clear who is meant to be going to work or even outside their own property boundaries, my family made the decision to stay put for the next few weeks and all my postponed customers are being totally understanding. My wife obviously has no option but to go to work anyway, and she is doing all the shopping we need on the way home. On that note, Waitrose in Market Harborough have been fantastic with her. They see she's NHS and they almost chaperone her around the store fetching anything she needs if they have it in stock. I think the store staff really like to make sure they are there for the key workers at the moment, because they are in the same boat as shop workers. Rachael said they share stories like it's a war on Corona :)

Last edited:
I did see a post on Faceache @Tourershine, which concurs with the experience you've described about with VW finance. Seems there are many many people in the same boat.

I dont have a current PCP agreement on a vehicle, so perhaps someone can clarify, but is it not a case, if you cant afford the payments, then VW finance simply take the vehicle back. Then it becomes their problem. Customers shouldn't be being told to sell the vehicle privately. That just encourages social interaction. I know many people will want to keep their vehicles however and desperately need them. But sounds like VW are being reckless. They'll completely devalue their equity, as the market will be flooded with used stock.

I did see a post on Faceache @Tourershine, which concurs with the experience you've described about with VW finance. Seems there are many many people in the same boat.

I dont have a current PCP agreement on a vehicle, so perhaps someone can clarify, but is it not a case, if you cant afford the payments, then VW finance simply take the vehicle back. Then it becomes their problem. Customers shouldn't be being told to sell the vehicle privately. That just encourages social interaction. I know many people will want to keep their vehicles however and desperately need them. But sounds like VW are being reckless. They'll completely devalue their equity, as the market will be flooded with used stock.

For those who aren't sure what you are referring to as I edited my post and started a new dedicated thread here Volkswagen Finance

Thanks for thinking of me and the rest of the self employed members in here @Ghost

My personal situation is now slightly better because i've released funds from elsewhere that will see us through for some time. Although it's still not clear who is meant to be going to work or even outside their own property boundaries, my family made the decision to stay put for the next few weeks and all my postponed customers are being totally understanding. My wife obviously has no option but to go to work anyway, and she is doing all the shopping we need on the way home. On that note, Waitrose in Market Harborough have been fantastic with her. They see she's NHS and they almost chaperone her around the store fetching anything she needs if they have it in stock. I think the store staff really like to make sure they are there for the key workers at the moment, because they are in the same boat as shop workers. Rachael said they share stories like it's a war on Corona :)
I absolutely have to go to the supermarket tomorrow as the kids have eaten everything that we had in the house, and I have managed to steer clear of the shops so far. From what I’m hearing it may be better to stand in the queue in uniform whilst wearing my full on personal respirator. Got to stay well as they are currently talking nationally about firefighters driving ambulances due to paramedics being called into hospitals for resilience.

I live in a rural area so lots of fields, one of which I was walking the dog through this evening. Get to a stile leading into the next field as a bloke and his dog approach from the other side. So I say “come on chap, you first” and then backed away about 6metres. He climbs over then says “ahhh, can I come and say hello to your dog?”. I mean WTF it’s a 5 acre field for Christ sake, surely you have enough room to pass me by without getting too close. My response “are you having a fekin giraffe chap? No! Jog on”.

Properly makes me think of that awful Luke Wilson film Idiocracy. Talk about dumb. I am doing absolutely everything I can to stay well. I was on duty last weekend and my phone did not stop ringing informing me of personnel dropping like flies.

Martin Lewis..
“Confirmation now from the prime minister that tomorrow the chancellor will make the announcement for the self-employed.”

Its all about common sense people..come on, been down tesco today and still there are people bulk shopping, I am emergency services and wanted 3 things. Yet the person in front with a trolley full of mince meat wouldnt budge. I am not wanting privilages but......common sense please!!!

Sainsbury’s won’t let you put your shopping on the conveyor till the first one has paid and left and then wipe everything....but who makes sure the shelf stacker ain’t contaminated.....but thankfully the shopping bit has got a bit more calmer. Ok still a few gaps on the shelves ...but overall far played to them:)

Sainsbury’s won’t let you put your shopping on the conveyor till the first one has paid and left and then wipe everything....but who makes sure the shelf stacker ain’t contaminated.....but thankfully the shopping bit has got a bit more calmer. Ok still a few gaps on the shelves ...but overall far played to them:)
What concerns me is that those workers are not protecting themselves. Been tesco's and not one wearing a mask despite being in close proximity to 100's of members of the public....surreal and quite frightening.

I saw a clip on the news today showing the social distancing in the queues outside the supermarket. They were interviewing people in the queue then someone comes out the shop with his shopping and walks straight down the side of the line!

Went to Aldi today, car park was about 20% full. Did a lap to look for the ‘safest’ space for the van. Shelves all stocked, was even quite a few 30% off stickers. Hopefully things are starting to get a bit more civilised.

Went to Aldi today, car park was about 20% full. Did a lap to look for the ‘safest’ space for the van. Shelves all stocked, was even quite a few 30% off stickers. Hopefully things are starting to get a bit more civilised.
Glad it looked okay to you in Aldi today in tesco's padiham it was complete madness. Hoping it will change.

One of the upsides to all this, if there is one. My van is even more immaculate than normal, my kit is now all serviced and cleaned, the inside of the van has been stripped and cleaned. I polished every inch of my Motorhome, stripped and cleaned all the cupboards, I even cleaned the gas cylinders:confused: Serviced and cleaned all the bikes. Both my wife's Mini and my daughters Mini are polished within an inch of their lives, and that's all in the first few days of isolation. I'm lucky that we have a large frontage at my house, and we live in a very quiet close with no passing traffic, so I get to spend all my time outside, but my goodness is this difficult. I'm so used to being out all over the UK and staying in one place is very unusual for me, hence looking for jobs to do. I feel for those that don't have that luxury.

One of the upsides to all this, if there is one. My van is even more immaculate than normal, my kit is now all serviced and cleaned, the inside of the van has been stripped and cleaned. I polished every inch of my Motorhome, stripped and cleaned all the cupboards, I even cleaned the gas cylinders:confused: Serviced and cleaned all the bikes. Both my wife's Mini and my daughters Mini are polished within an inch of their lives, and that's all in the first few days of isolation. I'm lucky that we have a large frontage at my house, and we live in a very quiet close with no passing traffic, so I get to spend all my time outside, but my goodness is this difficult. I'm so used to being out all over the UK and staying in one place is very unusual for me, hence looking for jobs to do. I feel for those that don't have that luxury.
Totally agree....I also managed to get the van washed yesterday to waste some time which some cant do unfortunately, and i too feel for them.

Back