Bluetooth/telephone Issues

3crispies

Classic Vws
T6 Guru
Trendline panel van but bluetooth between mobile and head unit is crap been back to dealer twice and again next week. If you lay the phone on dash above head unit works fine anywhere else and you cant understand anything.

Last edited:
I’m sure there’s a question in there somewhere :)

Do you have any plug in phone chargers or aftermarket LEDs? These can be known sources of Radio Interference.

I’m sure there’s a question in there somewhere :)

Do you have any plug in phone chargers or aftermarket LEDs? These can be known sources of Radio Interference.
sorry but its the phone that doesnt work radio is fine, appears to be bluetooth fault

Sounds like a classic case of

"cheap Chinese 12v USB charger" chucking out a load of RFI and messing with the bluetooth signal.

have you tried unplugging everything that wasn't originally fitted to the van from factory and trying again. (with engine running)

then do the same with engine off.

Also what radio & phone do you have? . . . .any pics for us?

These cheap chargers have no EMI or RFI suppression and cause all sorts of RF related problems.

ie, poor DAB, poor FM, poor AM, poor Blutooth. you can sometime hear the noise is you turn to AM on the radio and plug/unplug the adapter.

11.JPG

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

My Garmin dashcam reduces my DAB reception massively, this is using the factory supplied charger so god knows what those 99p chargers are doing to the signal.

Sounds like a classic case of

"cheap Chinese 12v USB charger" chucking out a load of RFI and messing with the bluetooth signal.

have you tried unplugging everything that wasn't originally fitted to the van from factory and trying again. (with engine running)

then do the same with engine off.

Also what radio & phone do you have? . . . .any pics for us?

These cheap chargers have no EMI or RFI suppression and cause all sorts of RF related problems.

ie, poor DAB, poor FM, poor AM, poor Blutooth. you can sometime hear the noise is you turn to AM on the radio and plug/unplug the adapter.

View attachment 31323

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread

Yeah get where your coming from, dont have anything plugged it cos thats my original thought mobile is samsung and works in all courtesey caddy vans from main dealer so as also works in our car eliminates that too. Main dealer has done update, checked aerial strength and reterminated cabling on rear of head unit still no joy. only other thing is when using google through media this also stutters sometimes through bluetooth. Going back in at weekend for next week to hopefully sort and change headunit. But as I said if mobile is on top dash above headunit it is better but not all of time. Confused !!! dealer tried in their workshop which is all steelwork and said it worked so will try my mobile with them as an option...

And it's the same if you use a different Phone.?

Maybe try a tablet too for good measure.

Discovery media head unit myself... use bluetooth all the time for calls and music and YouTube.

All works great..... except for the audio That laggs behind the video when play ing YouTube on the phone.

Buy they all do that....... it was the same with the RNS510 in the t5.1.

Don't suppose you tested the USB cabled side and Android Auto also?

Keep us posted with your findings.

I'll have to do some digging and locate the exact position of the bluetooth antenna......I was under the assumption that it was an integral part of the radio unit. Behind the screen or front plastics . . . . But I'll have to find out.

From previous work on the RNS510 and T5.1 the bluetooth unit was a separate module located behind the glove box....but enabled external aerials for GSM Etc.

Last edited:
Update but not good dealer cant find any faults so havent done anything. It works on the mobiles they tried. Mines works in both Vw hire vans but not mine so stumped my mobile is 2017 Samsung and dont see point of upgrading just in case. Or are we both missing something,....

Update but not good dealer cant find any faults so havent done anything. It works on the mobiles they tried. Mines works in both Vw hire vans but not mine so stumped my mobile is 2017 Samsung and dont see point of upgrading just in case. Or are we both missing something,....

I thought you said you tried a different mobile before and had the same issue.?

so if they say there is no fault and it works on other mobiles . . . . . .

maybe its time to get a different phone?

Both our phones were the same in all vehicles its only the conversation I had with dealer and his findings as still havent got back my van.

Have you tried any of the Bluetooth signal strength apps? I've no idea how good they are but whatever the results are they should be able to provide comparisons between different devices and locations. I don't suppose any dealer has test gear for this so going it alone even if it's just to show them comparisons may sway your argument and get the fault fixed.

Presume you have unpaired your phone from the van and unpaired the van from your phone so they both forget each other? Then go through the reconnection process as a new device.

Presume you have unpaired your phone from the van and unpaired the van from your phone so they both forget each other? Then go through the reconnection process as a new device.
Yeah tried that too. Collected van last night my phone works in other vans but still same in mine. There Htc phones worked in same area mine didnt weird. They wont rectify it as they blame my samsung phone may try upgrading phone or dont samsung pairing to vw often work. Other headunits were more expensive media units than mine.

Back