Biturbo or not biturbo (and dsg?)

My philosophy.
I want a van that’s “simple” like vans of old. Easy and cheap to run, maintain and reliable. A chill machine with no real known nightmare scenarios.
It Doesn’t need to go like stink and handle like a car. I have a car for that.
A LWB, T30: 150 and manual suits me. My spec ordered from new and now in its 7th year. No hassle and loving it.

Can I ask when you say “ At 31,000 miles having an oil change........ yearly “ do you mean despite having an oil change yearly or is the annual oil change a causative factor in the turbo failure. I get my oil/filters done every year as I hoped clean oil would help avoid premature failures and I’ve never gone along with this long life oil malarkey.
To clarify my van has done 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year, has had an oil change every year since new and not with long life oil.
Despite this the turbo has failed at 31,000 miles so it’s likely to be a faulty turbo

If it's the small turbo that's gone then I believe one of the suspicions is that as that is located in the same flow as the emissions control that if you get the DPF clogged from short trips and lack of regens it can cause soot build up on the turbo.

Certainly small turbo failure and soot issues seem to crop up together.

To clarify my van has done 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year, has had an oil change every year since new and not with long life oil.
Despite this the turbo has failed at 31,000 miles so it’s likely to be a faulty turbo
No matter how you look at it that's unacceptable, I've had old turbo diesels do over 200K miles with nothing more than regular servicing and I know plenty of others who've done far more miles.

My philosophy.
I want a van that’s “simple” like vans of old. Easy and cheap to run, maintain and reliable. A chill machine with no real known nightmare scenarios.
It Doesn’t need to go like stink and handle like a car. I have a car for that.
A LWB, T30: 150 and manual suits me. My spec ordered from new and now in its 7th year. No hassle and loving it.

A manual 150 is all but a simple and reliable thing.

The biggest problem with the bi turbo is like all engines they want a bit of pressure putting on them every so often. Its always a good idea to put some revs through it. Get the boost up and some temperature through all the components.

This is very difficult in the bitdi DSG as it wants to naturally cruise everywhere at 1500 revs in 7th gear. Then when you do put your foot down you are in ban territory straight away. They go like stink and would be very at home on a German autobahn. Very different situation on our A roads and the M1.

I love mine and it is fabulous to drive but I can't help think the 150 is probably the right engine.

Have a 16MY T6 140 Euro 5 manual, never had to top up oil between services. Long term MPG is 41.9. We tow a 2 berth caravan and its fine, would imagine it would tow a much larger van without any trouble.

That’s 9.4KM per LT, equal to 26.5MPG.
I have noticed the btdi going at high speed for long periods is more efficient than you would expect. I have crossed Germany at around 90mph, occasionally speeding over that and the consumption was around 26MPG.

Back