BiTDI 67 plate T6

AndieH

I’m seeing and hearing lots of negativity around VW BiTDI vehicles. Can anyone give me any assurance that a van if regularly serviced and looked after will go the distance. I’ve committed to buying a campervan not realising this engine is as bad as people are stating. £36k is a lot for me to lose.

I don't think anyone can give you that assurance, but as always on the internet you only read about the problems and not about the ones that don't have problems so for all we know for every duff one there's 100 good ones...

Mine was regularly serviced and looks like it's been looked after and it's giving me problem after problem..

I have purchased a used 204 DSG 66 plate, registered Feb 2017 T6, with 92k miles.

I’ve since done 13k miles in it, so she’s on 105k now. A new EGR was fitted June 23, and as far I can see, that’s all it’s had done. I purchased it Aug 23. It uses around 1L of oil every 2000 miles, by comparison to some on here, that appears to be reasonable.

I currently have a EML for an inlet manifold runner position, a common fault by all accounts. For a vehicle with 100K+ on I think that’s acceptable, something I am not super concerned about as it runs perfectly at the moment. I’ve also repaired a split coolant pipe.

I have had the EGR & adblue mapped out, and a dsg map to improve drivability.

Whether this makes you feel better or not I don’t know, but we’re at 105k with what I would deem acceptable wear and tear when compared to some of the woes other users have experienced here.

A glass half full outlook perhaps, but the wealth of knowledge and various posts on here associated with the 204 can and should help you prepare for the most occurrences. Be it expected faults or reputable companies to solve those faults. For instance, I’m at peace with the fact I may need a new turbo in the not so distance future, but this forum has provided me with the direction to take should it happen, or even worst case, where to go if the engine gives up the ghost.

Finally, for me, reading this forum did provide a level of anxiety I’ve never had when owning another vehicle. Anxiety that was maybe unjust given my experience of ownership thus far. Good luck!

I don't think anyone can give you that assurance, but as always on the internet you only read about the problems and not about the ones that don't have problems so for all we know for every duff one there's 100 good ones...

Mine was regularly serviced and looks like it's been looked after and it's giving me problem after problem..
Is this a CFCA engine with known problem? I’m going to check on mine and look at the EGR codes. What else should I be looking at?

I have purchased a used 204 DSG 66 plate, registered Feb 2017 T6, with 92k miles.

I’ve since done 13k miles in it, so she’s on 105k now. A new EGR was fitted June 23, and as far I can see, that’s all it’s had done. I purchased it Aug 23. It uses around 1L of oil every 2000 miles, by comparison to some on here, that appears to be reasonable.

I currently have a EML for an inlet manifold runner position, a common fault by all accounts. For a vehicle with 100K+ on I think that’s acceptable, something I am not super concerned about as it runs perfectly at the moment. I’ve also repaired a split coolant pipe.

I have had the EGR & adblue mapped out, and a dsg map to improve drivability.

Whether this makes you feel better or not I don’t know, but we’re at 105k with what I would deem acceptable wear and tear when compared to some of the woes other users have experienced here.

A glass half full outlook perhaps, but the wealth of knowledge and various posts on here associated with the 204 can and should help you prepare for the most occurrences. Be it expected faults or reputable companies to solve those faults. For instance, I’m at peace with the fact I may need a new turbo in the not so distance future, but this forum has provided me with the direction to take should it happen, or even worst case, where to go if the engine gives up the ghost.

Finally, for me, reading this forum did provide a level of anxiety I’ve never had when owning another vehicle. Anxiety that was maybe unjust given my experience of ownership thus far. Good luck!
I’ve read it’s only the CFCA engine with EGR issues - was the remapping done as a precautionary measure?

Is this a CFCA engine with known problem? I’m going to check on mine and look at the EGR codes. What else should I be looking at?

No our T6 engines are CXEB 204's

Mine had the EGR replaced just after I bought it, then it started regenning more and more often indicating a blocked DPF and using a load of oil which resulted in a small turbo failure, which of those came first I don't know. The turbo's come as a set (an expensive one) since they have been replaced the oil use seemed better and I've had the DPF cleaned which also improved the regen frequency sligthly but not enough in my opinion so I think a new DPF is on the cards too. Since all this work I've had adblue problems appear and it's now at the dealer for those so I haven't seen the van since January....

Every thing you replace on these will cost you thousands, EGR was near 2k, turbo's near 3k, DPF near 2k... now i've got some adblue pipe coming that costs 500 and the adblue injector for another 500 and they aren't even sure that'll solve the problems...

When I bought mine 2.5yrs ago there was nothing on the internet about these engines being troublesome and now more and more it seems to pop up with people having issues.

I have the CXEB engine so can’t comment on the CFCA. Based on my service records, My EGR was replaced due to a split pipe emitting exhaust fumes rather than the leaking cooler.

And yes, it was mapped out, along with the adblue as a precautionary measure. Unfortunately I don’t have money to throw at the van, particularly after my conversion! So I’m very much in the realms of future proofing it as I plan on a very long term ownership.

No our T6 engines are CXEB 204's

Mine had the EGR replaced just after I bought it, then it started regenning more and more often indicating a blocked DPF and using a load of oil which resulted in a small turbo failure, which of those came first I don't know. The turbo's come as a set (an expensive one) since they have been replaced the oil use seemed better and I've had the DPF cleaned which also improved the regen frequency sligthly but not enough in my opinion so I think a new DPF is on the cards too. Since all this work I've had adblue problems appear and it's now at the dealer for those so I haven't seen the van since January....

Every thing you replace on these will cost you thousands, EGR was near 2k, turbo's near 3k, DPF near 2k... now i've got some adblue pipe coming that costs 500 and the adblue injector for another 500 and they aren't even sure that'll solve the problems...
Oh Christ so just as bad then if not worse

I think its depending on mileage v type of driving. So my old Caravelle t5.1 180 bitdi (have slightly different and worse issues to your 199/201/204 bitdi van), its a one business owner 130k miles last year now 140k miles. Lots of bombing foot to floor back and forth West London to Amsterdam. The engine is knackered. I know my 'normal' engines well I think, from a super keen and hands on diy'er perspective.

When i purchased the van it seemed to have no oil consumption (it seemed). It had a messy top end but no obvious issues. Performance was ace, starting was ace, no obvious alarm bells.

I looked around for some advice from an independent I could trust. I found Retro Resus in Taunton and Tom seemed to talk a lot of sense. Long story short. The DPF was blocked completely so it was possibly topping up the oil use with fuel, hence the wet engine bay and the oil stunk of diesel. New VW DPF fitted and then you can see the oil usage and if I am heavy footed on a loaded van it drinks a lot.

Here's the thing, does it change the performance or reliability, not so far AND should I expect anything more for a 140k miles engine that has been having silly 20k miles oil changes for most of its life?? I dont think so...

So back to your original question, would I still buy this van if I had known, yes :)

Last edited:
I bought a 2017 Cxeb without being aware of the issues around the egr, at 3 years old with 95k on it.
I decided at about 115k as a precaution to have the egr mapped out and blanked off.
It’s now on 130k and I’m currently touring Spain in it, about 2300 miles into our journey.
I accept that at some stage I’ll probably need the turbos replacing/reconditioning.
It uses very little oil between oil changes. Less than a litre every 7k (always do an interim oil change myself).
I’d say keep on top of the oil changes and speak to Dav-Tec about an egr solution for peace of mind.

Lets face it buying any used car is a risk, even from a dealer as they are known to worm out of anything that goes wrong... Buying my van used for £15k a year ago was nerve wracking enough :eek:, but what is our choice here, if we all had the money we would buy new or almost new right?! My Caravelle in a 72 plate would cost me £65k plus. So my choice is pay £65k+, not buy a van or take a risk and buy used. I have driven all over Europe on my vans knackered engine no issues, baring topping up oil.

Lets face it buying any used car is a risk, even from a dealer as they are known to worm out of anything that goes wrong... Buying my van used for £15k a year ago was nerve wracking enough :eek:, but what is our choice here, if we all had the money we would buy new or almost new right?! My Caravelle in a 72 plate would cost me £65k plus. So my choice is pay £65k+, not buy a van or take a risk and buy used. I have driven all over Europe on my vans knackered engine no issues, baring topping up oil.
It is but the horror stories are scaring me senseless.

Talk to Tom at Retro Resus, he might be able to give you a pointer or two to check, or maybe walk away. I guess mileage v service history and other proof of interim oil changes would help me. Ask the dealer straight what happens if the engine goes pop inside a year or two, if you dont like the answer walk away and find a non-bitdi one maybe? In a Caravelle 4motion (what I wanted) they are all bitdi's in the Uk so you are stuffed

...Ask the dealer straight what happens if the engine goes pop inside a year or two, if you dont like the answer walk away and find a non-bitdi one maybe?
Definitely and in an email too so there's at least some proof. Have you checked it's history, checked engine numbers etc?
There are horror stories about virtually every vehicle these days and you'll definitely see an unrealistic bias toward the bad stuff on any forum.

A few years ago we had a 2006 Passat 2.0 tdi. After we bought it, I realised that the early 2.0 diesels seemed to be plagued with oil pump failures. The pump shaft was/is basically a D shape and it seemed like a foregone conclusion that the flat on the shaft and drive gear would eventually wear out which resulted in no oil pressure and a big repair bill. It never happened.
It did end up needing a new engine but this was because the piston rings were burnt out! Caused by accidentally using petrol, it was suggested.
Initially the used car dealer was trying their best to repair it but it needed a short block at the very least. I was able to prove by contacting the previous owner that it had been sold with an existing fault (they had essentially returned it to their dealer with the same fault and it was subsequently auctioned off). With that info we had a lot more leverage to demand a new engine or a refund.

@AndieH I realise you said that you're committed. How commited? Enough that you couldn't walk away if you discovered something worrying by doing a little digging?

Do some checks and get enough evidence and reassurances that you're covered.
If it all seems a little vague...

Expensive to buy, expensive to run, expensive to repair. Transporter not for faint hearted. It’s the van the A-Team would drive in 2024. McGiver would be able to repair the transmission of a T6.1 while it’s rolling down hill. Chuck Norris’ T6 doesn’t run on diesel, it runs on fear and of course, for the same reason, never breaks.

My 2017 CXEB biturbo 204 has been Miller oil tested and no issue found, EGR started to play up recently (warning light) so has been physically blanked and mapped out, DPF is absolutely fine. It's on 152K miles and never ever does short journeys - I imagine this is the key to any diesel longevity but especially such a complicated one. It's amazing to drive, I love it :)

Remapped 2017 CXEB biturbo 204 here. Sweet as. Oil changed every 10K. DPF gutted and EGR bypassed as a precaution. Sweet as. No issues, low oil consumption. Plenty of mechanical sympathy whilst warming up, but long journeys and lots of heavy towing duty, and a fair bit of ragging about when warm. I particularly delight in out dragging 320d cars at the lights. :cool:

Back