Bison/Sargent EC155 & EC50

Super-G

Mike
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

So I am a novice when it comes to all things T6/Electrical, hoping to get some advice if possible. A little bit about the setup I can see in my T6.
Bison BXC31MF Leisure battery
D960B95A-C003-4CB5-B653-D4B1091D7511.jpeg
Sargent EC155
20E33B70-D89A-4755-9E68-076B7A437F6D.jpeg
Sargent EC50 control panel (no photo).

Firstly, I cannot see anything else connected (split charger, DC-DC etc), so am I correct in assuming the leisure battery is only charged off EHU and not whilst driving? Is it worth changing this?

Secondly, I plugged in the EHU in my garage overnight….no lights showed on the EC50 (not sure if I should be expecting it to show any lights) and the only visible change was the O/I button on the EC155 (top left) was illuminated red (again, assume this is correct?)

Finally, and possibly the most concerning, having left the EHU connected overnight, I went to the van at lunchtime today to switch off the EHU (not sure it should be left on permanently?) and the CO alarm was going off inside the van. Soon stopped after opening the sliding door and letting air in (there is nothing else connected/in the van yet, not even a gas bottle). Have read a few posts and identified it’s either a faulty CO alarm (no idea how long the previous owner had it installed, so have ordered a new one anyway), or the leisure battery is emitting a gas (Hydrogen?) that is triggering the CO alarm? Does this mean the battery is knackered? Should I be concerned? Sadly I forgot to check whether the leisure battery was hot when on EHU, will check it next time I plug in with the new CO detector in place.

Sorry for such a long winded post!!

Thanks,
Mike

After digesting the above manual you will see that the Sargent does charge the leisure battery while your driving using the altenater but it will never achieve more than an 80% charge on a T6. You really need, in addition, a Battery to Battery (DC to DC) charger and your converter should be well aware of this requirement as it’s well documented.
If you didn’t buy from a converter then it’s relatively simple to retrofit one and suggest you look at the many threads about this issue on this forum using the search box.
When on hook up the illuminated red switch is the inbuilt battery charger on/off switch and it can be left on when on hook up although when in storage most just turn it on for just a day a week to maintain the battery.
The smoke alarm could be just on of those unexplained things, mine sometimes goes off if sunlight hits it. Was there a smell?
Others with more knowledge on batteries will probably be along shortly with more advice.

Last edited:
After digesting the above manual you will see that the Sargent does charge the leisure battery while your driving using the altenater but it will never achieve more than an 80% charge on a T6. You really need, in addition, a Battery to Battery (DC to DC) charger and your converter should be well aware of this requirement as it’s well documented.
If you didn’t buy from a converter then it’s relatively simple to retrofit one and suggest you look at the many threads about this issue on this forum using the search box.
When on hook up the illuminated red switch is the inbuilt battery charger on/off switch and it can be left on when on hook up although when in storage most just turn it on for just a day a week to maintain the battery.
The smoke alarm could be just on of those unexplained things, mine sometimes goes off if sunlight hits it. Was there a smell?
Others with more knowledge on batteries will probably be along shortly with more advice.
Thanks for your reply Nigel, it is much appreciated.
To answer your question, I don’t believe there was a smell, if there was it dissipated once the doors were opened (however will check this if it happens again).

Thanks again!

Just a thought as it’s an easy fix and gives you more options - buy one of these solar suitcases.
you just attach it directly to the battery, point towards the sun and it will charge your battery, maintain the charge and you can then go on sites where hook ups are not available (or just save a few quid).
I have mine permanently connected here at home so I don’t need to bother with mains hookup whilst parked up and when on holiday it’s powerful enough to run the fridge/lights. It’s a good piece of kit.
keep your eyes on it as it often goes on sale.

Just a thought as it’s an easy fix and gives you more options - buy one of these solar suitcases.
you just attach it directly to the battery, point towards the sun and it will charge your battery, maintain the charge and you can then go on sites where hook ups are not available (or just save a few quid).
I have mine permanently connected here at home so I don’t need to bother with mains hookup whilst parked up and when on holiday it’s powerful enough to run the fridge/lights. It’s a good piece of kit.
Interesting! Like the look of this, thanks for the suggestion!

Look here, if this is what I think it is then it’s a clear plastic view hole.
look down it and you should see a green disc - if so the battery is ok

6811BB3C-FD29-4C40-BB43-48658CECB415.jpeg

Look here, if this is what I think it is then it’s a clear plastic view hole.
look down it and you should see a green disc - if so the battery is ok

View attachment 131629
I'll get my head in there and have a look. Pic was taken blindly with a phone.
You have been incredibly helpful, it's very much appreciated :)

It’s a pleasure,
I joined the forum in a huge stress when I tried to change the bulb in the step to an LED and somehow popped a fuse which also knocked out rear sidelights and others.
VW were absolutely useless but the guys on here, within hours, had sent me a photo of the fuse box with a huge arrow showing the culprit.
There are some really clever people on this forum who will jump in as and when needed and I have found this the most helpful forum ever.

Excuse my ignorance, tried a search but couldn’t find an answer(!) do you leave your van connected up all the time when at home and if so why? My thought was that as the split charger will give it a charge when I go on my next trip I don’t need to keep it charged……………or am I wrong?!

Back