Bike rack cover

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
Getting pretty niche here but I want to get a cover for our four bikes - 2 26" wheel adult MTBs, one 26" wheel kids bike and one 20" wheel kids bike. They'll be stuck on our VW rear bike carrier.
Both Thule and Fiamma do one but reviews are really mixed - in fact the Fiamma ones are pretty dire but the £90 for a Thule one is a bit severe.
Anyone got a decent one they can recommend?

Thanks!

Must admit most people I have seen blitzing down the M4 in their Calis don't seem to have them or the ones hanging on the back of cars. You could look into getting one made though would not know the cost :)

Must admit most people I have seen blitzing down the M4 in their Calis don't seem to have them or the ones hanging on the back of cars. You could look into getting one made though would not know the cost :)

Might be worth looking into; but thinking more of our 5-6 week Europe tour in the Summer. Could do with the bikes being covered for dirt but also prying eyes; my bike is quite valuable.

In that case I'd be taking a less valuable one long, there are a few light fingered people over there. Is your other half's bike worth as much, if not I would take a cheaper one

Might be worth looking into; but thinking more of our 5-6 week Europe tour in the Summer. Could do with the bikes being covered for dirt but also prying eyes; my bike is quite valuable.

Did you manage to fine anything that did the job? I am looking out for something for the very same reason as you :)

Did you manage to fine anything that did the job? I am looking out for something for the very same reason as you :)
We decided not to take bikes or the rack in the end; mostly because we free camp a lot and it's hard to put the bikes anywhere (you can't open the boot with bikes on) but also because you can't park anywhere near as easily in shops/town.

But we've had a good think over these holidays (8 days of 38 left) and we might bring it next time.

For France and campsites they are great; a bit more restrictive for free camp friendlier Spain.

We decided not to take bikes or the rack in the end; mostly because we free camp a lot and it's hard to put the bikes anywhere (you can't open the boot with bikes on) but also because you can't park anywhere near as easily in shops/town.

But we've had a good think over these holidays (8 days of 38 left) and we might bring it next time.

For France and campsites they are great; a bit more restrictive for free camp friendlier Spain.

OK, no problem thanks for getting back to me on that. I'll give one a try as I need to take 3 bikes back from the UK to Spain where we live.

We usually just don't cover them but the new bike is somewhat pricier than my last one :p
And yes, I always get good weightlifting practice opening the boot with the bikes on haha.

There's lots of bad reviews on the various covers I've seen, so wondered if anyone had used one on here that's all :)

Seems obvious that there'd be a good one for the VW standard bike racks...possibly the only thing they haven't thought of.

OK, no problem thanks for getting back to me on that. I'll give one a try as I need to take 3 bikes back from the UK to Spain where we live.

We usually just don't cover them but the new bike is somewhat pricier than my last one :p
And yes, I always get good weightlifting practice opening the boot with the bikes on haha.

There's lots of bad reviews on the various covers I've seen, so wondered if anyone had used one on here that's all :)

Seems obvious that there'd be a good one for the VW standard bike racks...possibly the only thing they haven't thought of.

I'd still consider one for a long trip as I too have a bit of a posh bike plus it would protect them from weather and dust but I couldn't find a single one with a decent review! Thule looked okay but slightly silly money.

I'd still consider one for a long trip as I too have a bit of a posh bike plus it would protect them from weather and dust but I couldn't find a single one with a decent review! Thule looked okay but slightly silly money.

Yes, I went for the Thule (4 bikes one) in the end; should arrive tomorrow so I'll post on here as to how it fits for anyone else in future.

I've just been having a look at the thule bike cover as we've just bought bikes and a VW rack for our Cali - the smaller one suitable for 2-3 bikes isn't too bad at £65 but then you need the warning sign that fits in a clear sleeve which is an additional £35!
And if you go to Spain you need the other sign so another £35.
I tend to prefer buying better quality stuff so will probably just get it, some of the cheaper ones I've seen don't look very nice.

I've just been having a look at the thule bike cover as we've just bought bikes and a VW rack for our Cali - the smaller one suitable for 2-3 bikes isn't too bad at £65 but then you need the warning sign that fits in a clear sleeve which is an additional £35!
And if you go to Spain you need the other sign so another £35.
I tend to prefer buying better quality stuff so will probably just get it, some of the cheaper ones I've seen don't look very nice.

I'd just warn you that I bought that one for 4 bikes last week and it barely covers my road bike. I needed it for 3 bikes so a bit disappointing.

Once fitted it looks like it would fill with air on the motorway so I'm not going to risk it. I'll just use it to cover the expensive bike at night.

We bought what looked like a good quality one at a motorhome show at end of last year.
One trip from Santander back through France and home and its torn!
Top corners have rubbed through with air and friction in contact with handlebars.
Not sure what answer is.
Tried plastic bag over handle bars to reduce friction.
And cable ties to fix the tear!

Just wondering (as the last post was over 12 months ago) if anyone has found a good bike / cycle cover for the VW T6 bike rack? Not sure how it would work with the arms coming out to attach to the bikes?

Need to cover 2 large road bikes and would appreciate any recommendations, pros and cons people have found. Thanks!

Can't add anything else I'm afraid.
A strong plastic bag over the handlebars under the bike cover has prevented any more damage!

I have a tow bar rack ,with two fat bikes on ,I use a three to four bike cover from halfords .
It has done two trips down to Austria and Switzerland .It has a lot of small holes in now but has done the job and plenty big enough.
You have to get plenty of straps round it ,if not it fills with air .
I wouldn't want one on a vw rack ,with the bikes being above the van .

I have a tow bar rack ,with two fat bikes on ,I use a three to four bike cover from halfords .
It has done two trips down to Austria and Switzerland .It has a lot of small holes in now but has done the job and plenty big enough.
You have to get plenty of straps round it ,if not it fills with air .
I wouldn't want one on a vw rack ,with the bikes being above the van .

Yep ….that's the issue
The bikes stand up above the roofline so they catch the wind full on.
It also adds quite a lot of drag on the motorways and cuts MPG down significantly - down 6-7 MPG!!

we just don't bother anymore - the drag is very inefficient.
Just put the bikes, naked! on the rack with seats lowered as much as poss to keep height down.
If chucking it down - i do wrap the saddles up with a plakky bag!

Take the cover for when we get unpacked at the campsites.

I use two bike covers from decathlon, and some bungie cords. Worked well for 4000 miles last summer

I use an inexpensive one I found online. Always put a folded tarp over the bikes first, then the cover on top of everything. Then wrap a thin elasticated bungee cord around it all ways to stop it flapping. Done a few trips to the Alps and Scotland and no issues. I’d happily pay more for a robust canvas one that zipped up fully though, cause road grime always makes its way up from underneath which is annoying.

Back