Bifold rams and struts - top or bottom fit?

drinfinity

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’m fitting a bifold bed, which will have gas rams and fixed struts. Do I put these on top of the bed (pop top side) or under the bed (cabin side) or even rams under struts over?

Putting them under gives a nice finish in the top when the bed is in use, but they are on display in the cabin for me to bash into.

Putting them over means less to smack my head on when the bed is up ( most of the time) but might interfere with sleeping. Mitigating the ‘over’ is a 50mm thick mattress up top which will be above the struts.

I’m fitting a bifold bed, which will have gas rams and fixed struts. Do I put these on top of the bed (pop top side) or under the bed (cabin side) or even rams under struts over?

Putting them under gives a nice finish in the top when the bed is in use, but they are on display in the cabin for me to bash into.

Putting them over means less to smack my head on when the bed is up ( most of the time) but might interfere with sleeping. Mitigating the ‘over’ is a 50mm thick mattress up top which will be above the struts.
On mine the fixed bar sits below the bed and therefore inside the downstairs living area.
The gas ram sits above the edge of the pop top roof but there is a cutout in the bed board so that it sits flush when the roof is down.
I can only find this one pic.70A44347-FED3-417F-8ACE-13EC2BB1E215.png

Thanks for the picture, really helpful. That gives me at least one more consideration. Your strut crosses the gas ram, hence the need for the one up/one down arrangement.

Do you have 2 gas struts and a fixed bar on each side then? The photo shows 2 gas struts but your description mentions a bar also.
I wasn't able to get a fixed bar so I used 2 boot struts from a mk4 golf that I already had. They are so stiff they don't compress so they act as fixed bar.

Back