bifold bed vs a standard one?

Hi there. We’ve put a deposit down for a pop top roof but not entirely sure of the pros or cons of a bifold bed? Happy camping everyone!!

A bi-fold bed allows you to stand upright at the rear of the van. Not sure there are any cons really - perhaps the addition of a hinge that could fail at some point(?)

We have the RIB bed If that’s what you mean by BiFold, it has ratchet positions on the flaps we often use these in different positions and use it like a lounger couch.

Another advantage of the bifold is that when raised it shortens by the amount of the vertical part, so if you have a scenic canvas there is less bed board in the way if that makes sense.
That's true - when the scenic canvas is open, a bi-fold bed board lets in more light and you get a better view out when "downstairs".

Last edited:
Is it possible to change a standard bed board to a bi fold? We have the skyline 100mm poptop.
Would also love to have a hatch over cab to hide all the straps & canvas

Is it possible to change a standard bed board to a bi fold? We have the skyline 100mm poptop.
Would also love to have a hatch over cab to hide all the straps & canvas
Changeover sounds like something that is easily achievable as it's pretty much the same part with some additional hinges being the only major difference.

I've seen quite a few posts with members who have made their own board to hide the straps and canvas in the cab. Pretty sure it's a piece of shaped ply with handle(s) and trimmed to finish.

If you're handy you got probably manage both yourself, but if you're like me (lazy) and don't have the tools, skills or confidence to do it yourself, there's more than likely someone out there that could do this as a service for you.

Check out the Trade Members & Forum Supporters thread or Review a Business thread for someone who can help.

Changeover sounds like something that is easily achievable as it's pretty much the same part with some additional hinges being the only major difference.

I've seen quite a few posts with members who have made their own board to hide the straps and canvas in the cab. Pretty sure it's a piece of shaped ply with handle(s) and trimmed to finish.

If you're handy you got probably manage both yourself, but if you're like me (lazy) and don't have the tools, skills or confidence to do it yourself, there's more than likely someone out there that could do this as a service for you.

Check out the Trade Members & Forum Supporters thread or Review a Business thread for someone who can help.
Cheers, i was hoping this would be a fairly simple adaptation, we are thinking of having a U or L shaped lounge so more rear headroom would be useful

Yes, changing to Bifold would be fairly easy. Cut the existing one, add a length of piano hinge. SGS Engineering can supply the gas rams and end fittings. The fixed rods I got from B&Q. There are some more details on my build log.

I have a skyline aurora pop top and the bifold bed board with a Ply Guys install that allows for a walk-through or u-shaped seating option. The bi-fold allows me to stand straight right at the back of the pop top opening. If I'd gone for the regular board I would have had to limbo to the back of the van. I'm a little over 5'10". As others have said it does make the van much more airy and light when the roof is up and the canvas open - I have the scenic canvas too. (Note - the cushions in this photo were a temporary set, the proper set do not block out the window)

IMG_9329.jpeg

Thanks Bav - picture paints a thousand words! Bi-fold all the way!
Hi I am picking my van up tomorrow after having a pop top fitted with bi fold and full scenic canvas if you need any other pictures measurements or details just drop me a line
But for now I can agree with all the positive points
Pls mine was done during the conversion including the cab cover board if you want to see that in action or details
Cheers

Hi I am picking my van up tomorrow after having a pop top fitted with bi fold and full scenic canvas if you need any other pictures measurements or details just drop me a line
But for now I can agree with all the positive points
Pls mine was done during the conversion including the cab cover board if you want to see that in action or details
Cheers
Cheers, think I will definitely get our bed board adapted into a bi fold style, is it still possible to have a bed mattress on top while the bed board is up? Our mattress is about 40mm thick, it’s a duvalay so fairly flexible..

Cheers, think I will definitely get our bed board adapted into a bi fold style, is it still possible to have a bed mattress on top while the bed board is up? Our mattress is about 40mm thick, it’s a duvalay so fairly flexible..
Yes, make sure the short bit at the back is cut to the right length to give you 40mm clearance when it is vertical.

Back