BF Goodrich K02's 225/65/17 on a 4motion t6

Treebs

Hello Peeps. I have a 2018 T6 4motion TDI400 here in sunny Oz. The tyre dealer is telling me the BF Goodrich K02's 225/65/17's will rub on my wheel arches. The Van came from the factory with heavy duty springs as I drive around with about 500kg in the rear. I currently have 235/55/17's on Amarok alloys and all is good in the world. I really want to explore its 4motion capabilities. Do l just put them on and pray???

Should be okay. We have seen 235/65/17 on standard suspension without rubbing on standard wheels, but it might depend on the ET of the replacement wheels?

I've got them on mine! standard suspension not 4 motion. No rubbing at all, I was advised that 245/65/17 wouldn’t rub either, but measuring the distance between the inner rear wheel arch moulding and the top of tyre suggested they would. Check out the thread “Off-road wheels and tyres” you can see mine on there and me showing the distance between with the 225’s now on. The ET on my fuel zephyr is 34 if I recall. Sorry don’t know how to insert the link to that thread.

Thanks Exrex. Can you live with the road noise?
It’s a good question Treebs, I didn’t get the BFG’s expecting them to be quiet, but have been genuinely surprised how not noisy they are. I think it depends more on what type of roads or driving you’re doing, there’s a background ’hum’ off the tread blocks at town speeds, after that the wind noise sort of balances it out, once you’re up at 80mph the sound is back but again not that you can’t talk over or listen to radio etc. I had a Touareg a couple years ago with standard 21” wheels and the roar off those tyres was definitely worse! Ours is a standard Kombi at the moment as far as insulation goes, so in a sense as bad as it gets. We have it booked in with Brandon at AJC in a few weeks to have it insulated and lined amongst other things, but that’s definitely not just because of tyre noise.

E7DC5DD7-1EAC-447A-872A-C6B58A416E80.jpeg

It’s a good question Treebs, I didn’t get the BFG’s expecting them to be quiet, but have been genuinely surprised how not noisy they are. I think it depends more on what type of roads or driving you’re doing, there’s a background ’hum’ off the tread blocks at town speeds, after that the wind noise sort of balances it out, once you’re up at 80mph the sound is back but again not that you can’t talk over or listen to radio etc. I had a Touareg a couple years ago with standard 21” wheels and the roar off those tyres was definitely worse! Ours is a standard Kombi at the moment as far as insulation goes, so in a sense as bad as it gets. We have it booked in with Brandon at AJC in a few weeks to have it insulated and lined amongst other things, but that’s definitely not just because of tyre noise.

View attachment 112036

Nice wheel choice - looking good from all angles.

Good decision re your insulation & lining - Brandon @ AJC is the guy that worked his magic on our T6 - you will not be disappointed at the standard he works to.
I am back again on Sat 17th for some more "stuff"

View attachment 112036
They look great!! Here in Victoria Australia the local roads authority have outlawed any tyre greater than 15mm larger than standard. They allow 50mm if the vehicle is a true 4wd. I need to ask the VicRoads nuff nuffs if a 4motion Transporter is classed as a 4wd. Even fitting 235/60/17's is not kosher!!! I cant win.

They look great!! Here in Victoria Australia the local roads authority have outlawed any tyre greater than 15mm larger than standard. They allow 50mm if the vehicle is a true 4wd. I need to ask the VicRoads nuff nuffs if a 4motion Transporter is classed as a 4wd. Even fitting 235/60/17's is not kosher!!! I cant win.
Treebs, did you ever get an answer from VicRoads about classification? I'm in QLD and just starting to look into what is legal for my 4motion Transporter. what size tyre did you go with in the end? TIA

Gday. After lots of research, the national standards allow for a 50mm increase in overall diameter if the vehicle is a commercial vehicle with a 4wd version offered in the range. (T6 4motions qualify)
The vicroads nuff nuffs down here are insisting on no more than a 15mm increase. I ended up fitting 235/60/17 Cooper ATT's. Many people said just fit what you like as the cops leave van owners alone. I personally didn't want the potential insurance hassle. I also wanted a tyre that brought the indicated speed up to the actual speed. Tread your own path.( like what I did there?)

20210828_171322.jpg

They offer a harder ride over bumps as the sidewalls are stiffer. They roll really well with barely any more noise than the original Bridgestones. The speedo is dead on. I am quite happy with them.

Back