Best lubricant for hinges etc

dandan88

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Has anyone got any recommendations for something to grease the door hinges all round,

18 plate and I’ve not done it since new :-(

What would you use on the slider and the front doors?

They are starting to sound as little squeaky now

Same for the wheels on the sliding door aswell

Cheers

I use PTFE drylube (WD40 brand) on the sliding door rollers so as not to attract dust/grit. Normal oil on the hinge pins and front door spring bars where they pass through to body of the hinge - oil will hopefully run inside and thick enough to stay in there. Finally white grease on the external parts of the spring bar (there is a little rotating cog which is plastered in white grease)

Anyway, thats what I do - not saying its ‘official’ though :)

Those little rollers on the front doors do seize, a dribble of wd40/gt80 keeps them mobile and noise free.

I've used WD40 silicon lubricant spray (because it was to hand) on my passenger squeaky door hinge and it hasn't caused me any headaches so far, been squeak free for a few months.

White lithium spray grease , stays in place where it’s required & will not wash away like light lubricants, one application lasts years.

White Lithium spray was not cutting it for me with a persistent squeak, so I cleaned it all off and went for some Aero Shell traditional grease, which has stayed put and got rid of the squeak. (It doesn't stand out so much on the dark paint colour).

My seat has started creaking badly, it's probably 4.5 years since I applied a load of spray grease to the mechanism.

I noticed the spray grease had gone all dry and powdery, you wouldn't get that with traditional grease, the spray stuff doesn't appear to have a particularly long operating life.

I've got myself a tub of this gear - https://amzn.eu/d/421OtXf

I'm going to attack the creaking seat of doom tomorrow.

My seat has started creaking badly, it's probably 4.5 years since I applied a load of spray grease to the mechanism.

I noticed the spray grease had gone all dry and powdery, you wouldn't get that with traditional grease, the spray stuff doesn't appear to have a particularly long operating life.

I've got myself a tub of this gear - https://amzn.eu/d/421OtXf

I'm going to attack the creaking seat of doom tomorrow.
Check for cracks in the metalwork..

Back