Battery Charging 240v With Dc-dc Installed.

jimmyjames

T6 Pro
Evening all :)

I am about to install a Ctek dc-dc charger in my van but would like the option of connecting a charger from the mains as well without frying the dc-dc charger or overloading the system. I cannot seem to find the answers anywhere despite searching everywhere, how have you guys got around this conundrum?

Thanks in avance

Just connect your mains EHU charger to your leisure battery. The two devices are never likely to be working at the same time, but there wouldn’t be a problem if they were, as long as they are both intelligent chargers.

Pete

Just connect your mains EHU charger to your leisure battery. The two devices are never likely to be working at the same time, but there wouldn’t be a problem if they were, as long as they are both intelligent chargers.

Pete

Thanks Pete

Exactly what i was thinking but wanted to make sure as there is not much written about it. Considered one of the 3 way chargers with DC-DC-240v but they are silly money and never really like all in one solutions :)

What sort of amps would you recommend? I'm thinking 20a ought to do it to run led lights and a compressor cool box while i'm on site.

Don't know if this will be off help but Greg has converted a Merc Sprint and here is his wiring for it.

The B2B, solar charger, and mains charger share the same leisure battery but are unaware of each other, all they know is the battery voltage and each individual charger will adjust itself to suit the battery voltage it sees. One may decide to do a brief bulk charge whilst another is on float, but its not an argument, its all accommodated automagically and soon settles down to everything on float.
There are B2B/solar/MHU chargers that network and talk to each other if you want to spend a lot more money, but its not necessary :thumbsup:
Cheers
Phil

Excellent, thanks Phil. Cracking on with the dc dc charger install now, fingers crossed all goes well!

The B2B, solar charger, and mains charger share the same leisure battery but are unaware of each other, all they know is the battery voltage and each individual charger will adjust itself to suit the battery voltage it sees. One may decide to do a brief bulk charge whilst another is on float, but its not an argument, its all accommodated automagically and soon settles down to everything on float.
There are B2B/solar/MHU chargers that network and talk to each other if you want to spend a lot more money, but its not necessary :thumbsup:
Cheers
Phil

Bit of an update! The DCDC is working well although the AGM battery isnt getting the charge it should through lack of use. I am just in the process of testing my new charger which arrived today and i'm amazed at how low the battery had dropped. I though about buying a cheap smart charger but dont like to scrimp on things like this, so i eventually decided on a Victron Energy blue smart 12/15a IP65 with bluetooth and its a clever bit of kit (app is awesome) and so far highly recommended :cool:

Last edited:
Back