Basic travel tool kit recommendations

mamajules

Hello all, sorry if this is in the wrong section! As I'm getting more used to my van I was thinking I ought to carry a few essential tools/bits with me as I travel and wondered if any of you can help me pop a kit together? I confess I'm not a mechanic at all but thinking there must be some items I need ie: jump leads? (if so are there particular ones I need for my van (T6.1). Sorry it's such a basic question. Mamajules x

I bought one of these (listed below) and store it under bed. I have not used it on our van, but did help out another campervan last year withit.
pack.jpg
Tools Link

I also carry one of these - very useful:
volt.jpg
Clamp Meter

I'm sure others will have loads to add

Last edited:
Hello all, sorry if this is in the wrong section! As I'm getting more used to my van I was thinking I ought to carry a few essential tools/bits with me as I travel and wondered if any of you can help me pop a kit together? I confess I'm not a mechanic at all but thinking there must be some items I need ie: jump leads? (if so are there particular ones I need for my van (T6.1). Sorry it's such a basic question. Mamajules x
How much travelling abroad will you be doing ?

Pete

No as I have one of these fitted:
ster.jpg
I had it fitted to our old motorhome and in 7 years vehicle battery never failed in all weathers. Moved to camper van and battery always shows 12.9volts whilst in garage.
Link:
Battery Maintainer
There are other makes.

As I will be most unlikely to do any physical repairs, I limit myself to the following:-

Credit card
Warranty/breakdown cover docs

For repairing breakages:-
Gaffa tape.
Assorted cable ties
Gorilla glue
Epoxy putty

Spare fuses
Multimeter to check for power/ or lack of it
Adjustable spanner
Multi head screwdriver

And some sticky felt pads to deal with any squeaks and rattles that appear.

Whilst I’m on an roll..

A spare key to get me back in.
A hidden memory stick with copies of all my important docs and bank details.
A hard copy list of phone numbers

As I will be most unlikely to do any physical repairs, I limit myself to the following:-

Credit card
Warranty/breakdown cover docs

For repairing breakages:-
Gaffa tape.
Assorted cable ties
Gorilla glue
Epoxy putty

Spare fuses
Multimeter to check for power/ or lack of it
Adjustable spanner
Multi head screwdriver

And some sticky felt pads to deal with any squeaks and rattles that appear.

Whilst I’m on an roll..

A spare key to get me back in.
A hidden memory stick with copies of all my important docs and bank details.
A hard copy list of phone numbers
This is a fantastic list - thanks SO much for taking the time to respond. J xx

A compressor and tyre pressure gauge. Use the compressor much more than I thought I would. For bicycles, balls, etc as well as van tyres.
Telescopic wheel nut wrench.
1l of oil and 1l of coolant. I store this in front of the battery in the engine bay.

Plus most of what @Oldrat has listed.

A compressor and tyre pressure gauge. Use the compressor much more than I thought I would. For bicycles, balls, etc as well as van tyres.
Telescopic wheel nut wrench.
1l of oil and 1l of coolant. I store this in front of the battery in the engine bay.

Plus most of what @Oldrat has listed.
Yep, I forgot the compressor and puncture repair kit
Cheers

I was given this by a friend and have tried it. Our camper van did not come with a jack, so a bonus all round. Don't have a puncture repair kit, but do have a spare.
jack.jpg
Link: Jack

I always carry a trolley jack.
I don't go as far as a trolley jack, but bearing in mind that the supplied VW jack is a death trap, I have an Aldi 5t bottle jack. Takes up minimal room & will lift anything I'm likely to need it to.
Back to the OP, I carry:-
Surf key, hidden outside the vehicle
Aforementioned bottle jack
multimeter
1/4 drive CK Socket set (can't recommend these highly enough, great bit of kit)Buy CK T4655 Sure Drive System 39 Piece Socket Set 1/4

Wera Kompact screwdriver set
Compressor
various spares, fuses, selection of nuts & bolts, cable ties, gaffer tape, WD40, bungee cord, 1l of ready to use washer fluid
small 1kg lump hammer
super glue
NOCO Jump starter
I have VCDS mobile on my phone too.

Last edited:
Yep, I forgot the compressor and puncture repair kit
Cheers

Good advice.
Last year I had a puncture, typically, miles from home.
I pulled the flint from my tyre and pushed in a tyre string then re-inflated the tyre using the 12V inflator that I carry. Job done, much quicker and easier than changing the wheel.

Bottle jack we always carry (but that’s more for the caravan)
I’d buy a small tool bag/tote and list what extras you may need.
Also a good first aid kit etc plus stuff for Europe.
Stick it all in one place.
We have one for the caravan and I hope I never have to touch it.

I went to France this year and kept all my documents, driving license, passports and spare keys in one of these...

WACCET Portable Safe Box with Code, Combination Security Case Lock Box Waterproof Anti-Theft Mini Travel Safe with Removable Wire Rope Security Safe Box for Home, Office, Hotel, Cars,Travel etc https://amzn.eu/d/1Rrcpar

Interestingly someone on here once told me to keep a spare set of keys hidden in the van. If you loose your keys, roadside assistance will get you back in the van, but you won't be able to drive it. Good advise I thought...

Back