Basic travel tool kit recommendations

I went to France this year and kept all my documents, driving license, passports and spare keys in one of these...

WACCET Portable Safe Box with Code, Combination Security Case Lock Box Waterproof Anti-Theft Mini Travel Safe with Removable Wire Rope Security Safe Box for Home, Office, Hotel, Cars,Travel etc https://amzn.eu/d/1Rrcpar

Interestingly someone on here once told me to keep a spare set of keys hidden in the van. If you loose your keys, roadside assistance will get you back in the van, but you won't be able to drive it. Good advise I thought...
Where do you keep this? I was thinking of getting a safe that bolts under the seat.

Interestingly someone on here once told me to keep a spare set of keys hidden in the van. If you loose your keys, roadside assistance will get you back in the van, but you won't be able to drive it. Good advise I thought...

I'd consider the implications on any subsequent insurance claim if your van was stolen. An insurance company might be able to wriggle out of a payout if there was any possibility that you inadvertently helped the thieves by leaving a key in the van. I'm no expert but it's worth considering.

I think you'll understand if I don't disclose the location, however just to be clear, I don't leave a key in the van whilst in the UK. Obviously leaving a key in the van, whilst sat on your drive isn't the best of ideas! I only did it whilst abroad, not as easy to pop back for the spare when you're over seas. Sorry, should have been more clear in the OP.

A compressor and tyre pressure gauge. Use the compressor much more than I thought I would. For bicycles, balls, etc as well as van tyres.
Telescopic wheel nut wrench.
1l of oil and 1l of coolant. I store this in front of the battery in the engine bay.

Plus most of what @Oldrat has listed.
Thank you SO much for this info. I'm so glad I posted my question. Invaluable advice from everyone. J x

I think you'll understand if I don't disclose the location, however just to be clear, I don't leave a key in the van whilst in the UK. Obviously leaving a key in the van, whilst sat on your drive isn't the best of ideas! I only did it whilst abroad, not as easy to pop back for the spare when you're over seas. Sorry, should have been more clear in the OP.
Thank you so much for this - I'm thinking that wherever we go (even in the UK) we should take the spare with us and then both keep one? Or is that daft?

Puncture repair kits
Something like this…

LINK

plenty of You tube instruction vids

A small compressor, costs about £20-30. They normally plug into your 12v ciggy socket, so either a 12v extension lead or take the wheel off.

Avoid those with tiny gas canisters, they are just about ok for motorcycle tyres but insufficient for large wheels.

A3467588-D152-47C8-8D99-74CB9CC3225D.png

Bottle jack we always carry (but that’s more for the caravan)
I’d buy a small tool bag/tote and list what extras you may need.
Also a good first aid kit etc plus stuff for Europe.
Stick it all in one place.
We have one for the caravan and I hope I never have to touch it.
Thank you so much for replying - I got a first aid kit, a fire extinguisher, plus a fire blanket which is folded small so easy to store. xx

Reactions: CAB
Good advice.
Last year I had a puncture, typically, miles from home.
I pulled the flint from my tyre and pushed in a tyre string then re-inflated the tyre using the 12V inflator that I carry. Job done, much quicker and easier than changing the wheel.
All of these tips sound great and I'm copying/pasting...I'm wondering if there's a T6 day workshop on easy/self repairs for non-mechanic people like me! . I'm a textile artist so can always do cloth repairs but not much call for that on the van I guess! Jules x

Thank you so much for this - I'm thinking that wherever we go (even in the UK) we should take the spare with us and then both keep one? Or is that daft?

Why would that be daft, the spare set is far more use in your partner's pocket than on a hook at home hundreds of miles away? If I am on a trip that's a long way from home/any back up I have both sets of keys with me. When I leave the van one set is in a zipped jacket pocket. The other set is buried in a waterproof bag in the bottom of the small rucksack I use instead of a handbag.

The rucksack is unlikely to be stolen but if it were I am 'wearing' the other set of keys. I have difficulty sustaining body temperature (medical thing) so there are very few days in a British summer when I don't have a jacket on and am unlikely to leave it behind anywhere.

Why would that be daft, the spare set is far more use in your partner's pocket than on a hook at home hundreds of miles away? If I am on a trip that's a long way from home/any back up I have both sets of keys with me. When I leave the van one set is in a zipped jacket pocket. The other set is buried in a waterproof bag in the bottom of the small rucksack I use instead of a handbag.

The rucksack is unlikely to be stolen but if it were I am 'wearing' the other set of keys. I have difficulty sustaining body temperature (medical thing) so there are very few days in a British summer when I don't have a jacket on and am unlikely to leave it behind anywhere.
Brilliant - thanks for the reassurance - such a simple thing but already done a few trips with the other key at home - doh! J xx

We always take the spare key with us when we go away, even in the uk. It’s easy to lock the van using the fob with the sliding door open, throw your coat and stuff in the back (key in pocket) and when you slide the door shut it’s locked.

For the list:-
Spare key
60cm breaker bar and good quality socket for wheel nuts (you’ll break a cheap socket with the 180Nm on the wheel nuts. I know this!!)
Good first aid kit.
Bottle jack
Original wheel brace to enable release of spare wheel carrier
Air compressor
Tyre repair strings kit
Warning triangle, hi vis, spare bulbs.
Couple of screwdrivers and some cable ties.

Last edited:
Back