Barn doors won't open from the outside

Vanish

I searched and saw some similar issues but nothing exactly as this issue. The barn doors wouldn't open from the outside, it felt as if the outside handle was broken, and if using the key - the key could rotate 360 without any clicks or resistance. I did a search in the forums and saw a photo of what was behind the trim and decided to have a go (as you do). I eventually figured out how to override the manual lock which would have solved my problem ( linkage from the rear door manual lock can be disconnected, then only the key fob can be used). It seems as if the rear door lock had been or can be rotated when the key is not fully in and this upsets the logic of the mechanism. The lock barrel operates a push rod which turns a cam shaped arm - when the push rod is disconnected, the lock worked fine. After many iterations of trying to reset this arm & cam, I eventually got it right and everything worked again. Whole job took about an hour...after I succeeded, I wished I had taken photos to share - sorry 'bout that. Any thoughts/comments welcome...cheers

Ok, here goes. The rod marked D is operated by the outside door handle. If the door is locked, rod D goes up and down but nothing happens - i.e. the door won't open. This was my problem, the door behaved is if it were locked even when it wasn't. The door would open from the inside as this is a separate mechanism. If the door is unlocked by the key, the cam marked B turns, which pushes rod A, which turns cam C. Cam C's position determines whether or not the door is locked. A possible fix would be to disconnect rod A at point B. This means the outside lock doesn't work (acts as if always locked). My problem was that the key was not turning cam B - this seems to be possible when the key is 95% in but not 100% - I don't know if this is a fault or by design. I disconnected rod A and cycled the key a few times trying to figure at what point cam B should be before reconnecting rod A. After a few goes, I got it right and everything works as it should.

AD8F3A65-BECE-4649-99C0-843405FA2BC0 copy.jpg

Thanks for adding the guide to the font of knowledge that is this forum. Here's hoping I never need it. :whistle:

306E58FF-238F-4E71-975C-4D14364A5BCD.jpegCC9449F5-263A-4FF3-892E-A044CD871117.jpegI had a similar but different issue that I wanted to share.

When using the central locking the barn door wouldn’t open and handle felt broken. Using the internal handle would still unlock the door.

My fix was really simple. Using the same notation as above rod D was rubbing on the metal work next to it and that was preventing the rod returning properly (by literally the smallest amount). Basically Rod was slightly twisted out of position. Straightening sorted it. Simples!!

Does anyone know how to adjust this rod on the back of a vw T6 barn door. It is the one for the outside handle. Mine doesn't seem to open fron the outside anymore so wanted to try adjusting before replacing the whole locking mechanism.

43AE6194-AE11-42D4-912C-D867D954DA62.jpeg

Does this help?
Yes I literally found that just now and pushed the rod as far up as possible. It still doesn’t open the door. I think the mechanism is broke inside as the lower part of that rod goes in as much as it can and nothing happens.

It’s happened to us on our barn door. Found that if we pushed the catch towards the van it started working again and haven’t had a problem since.

So I have followed the advice and videos. Moved the arm further up and reclipped it back in. Still nothing. I think the internal mechanism maybe gone which is a sealed part. Anyone advice on getting this part as I did a search and couldn’t find anything.

So I have followed the advice and videos. Moved the arm further up and reclipped it back in. Still nothing. I think the internal mechanism maybe gone which is a sealed part. Anyone advice on getting this part as I did a search and couldn’t find anything.
I’ve just had the same issue today!
Can say how to adjust the rod as I removed the plastic lock assembly housing then simply wound the rod in a little. But it sorted the problem out.
Post in thread 'Barn door locking mechanism replacement'
Barn door locking mechanism replacement

Had this issue come up today. Accessed the lock mechanism and pushed up one of the rods which was caught. Fixed the issue but the rod feels likely to get stuck again. Opened and closed the barn door 5-6 tines from the outside and the handle feels like it is getting stuck in the "pulled" position. Reckon it is safe to use some WD40 in there to stop this rod sticking?

Hi, I fixed the rear barn door not opening from the outside problem today, As many people have found screwing the door handle rod up to about 10mm exposed thread fixes most issues, following this, I found that the door key lock was at the 6 o'clock position, when changed to horizontal position quarter to 3, the door could then be opened from the outside, with the central locking work fine.

Back