Barn Doors or Tailgate for bikes?

bytejunkie

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I've got a T6 with Barn doors on the back. I've also got a growing family and we want to be able to take all of our bikes away with us. so 4 bikes.

Am i being daft considering a Tailgate conversion so that the body mounted bike racks are an option? we;ve got a 3 bike rack on the tow ball and as soon as youngest is off his balance bike, we will need a 4 bike rack. I dont know why, but I dont like the tow ball mounted racks. probably because it takes up space in my garage, but there are other niggles around parking and sensors.

anyone mulled this over before?

Honestly... I think the best (and cheapest) option would be a 4 bike towbar carrier.

You can get bike carriers for barn doors...

Reactions: Ozi
I’d agree. It’s not a plug and play swap and from a couple of threads I’ve read, is not without its issues, which are likely to be exacerbated if you’re putting extra load on it with a bike rack.

We manage to get two bikes inside, luggage for 4 adults (kids 13 & 15), a reasonable amount of food, 4 folding chairs and space for the portaloo (and able to use it) in a SWB. I have a 2 bike carrier for on the tow bar. We can get all four bikes inside the van, topped and tailed, but we cannot have the loo in and luggage needs careful placing!

I made up some 3/4” ply boards that bolt to the lashing point fixings, with some L brackets and quick release axles so everything fixes in well. Cost about £25 to make. You can buy them from fortywinks.

Some have used wide roof bars to bolt down then fix the axle brackets to them.

yeah, but we have a converted van for a start and a dog, so there isnt really space for a bike inside the van

I’m probably selling my Witter ZX408 4 bike carrier soon - it clamps onto the tow bar ball.

Back