Useless Information for Caravelle owners

Woodman

I like playing with my wood!
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all, a message to the Caravelle owners based on my previous experience of having one. Several years ago I owned a gorgeous metalic blue Caravelle SE with the 174 dsg. It was only an SE but still a great van. We used to drive to our Holidays in it with the 3 kids in the back and with the centre seats removed, bench forward. Then we could get tons of crap in the back that you take on holiday and never use.
However, just in case anyone doesnt know this:- When we planned one of our trips to the St Tropez area, and the girls had considerably grown up, I discovered that I could remove 1 centre single seat but shift the other to straddle the rails. This allowed the seat to come a fair way forward and whoever was in it had loads of legroom between the front two. Then, the rear bench could come up behind this centre seat and the two rear passengers either side had loads of legroom themselves plus floorspace to put travel stuff. The boot space was still immense and we did not need a roof box!

On said trip there was a C**k up with our half way b and b booking, meaning we had no where to kip (more importantly a proper toilet). I tried everywhere I could but no luck. At 23.30 after almost 20 hours awake and about 750 miles we decided we would have to sleep in the van. This extra legroom was then even more desirable. Not so for me with the steering wheel but what it did mean, we were on the beach at Cavalaire by 10.30 on the Saturday when normally we would not get there til mid to late afternoon. As they say every cloud has a silver lining.

Sorry if you know this about the seats, but if you did not it may come in handy one day :)

Hi. I have a t6 velle short wheel base It’s a 6 seater so 4 separate seats in the back, no 3 seat bench. You say that you can straddle the rails with a single seat. The centre position seems a bit narrow for the seat. Ok for the picnic table . If you straddle the raid does it offset to one or other side by a little bit. This could be a great option when we can go to Cornwall again!!!

Hi. I have a t6 velle short wheel base It’s a 6 seater so 4 separate seats in the back, no 3 seat bench. You say that you can straddle the rails with a single seat. The centre position seems a bit narrow for the seat. Ok for the picnic table . If you straddle the raid does it offset to one or other side by a little bit. This could be a great option when we can go to Cornwall again!!!
Hi Jimb, I do actually what Woodman has suggested. The seat rails sit in the inner rails of were the single seat would originally be, not the table rails

That’s the beauty of the rail system. So flexible.
Mine is running four single seats in the back which offers great flexibility for all passengers.

Thanks everyone, I’m going to have a play. Great to be still finding new things out about the van after 2+ years!!

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
Thanks everyone, I’m going to have a play. Great to be still finding new things out about the van after 2+ years!!
Maybe my thread was as useless as I thought, glad you have picked up on this. It was a couple of years before I discovered it, when necessity made me try it! The mother of invention.

Back