B14 Sweet Spot

I run my T32 LWB at 50mm front/rear with 19" wheels, there are a lot of speed bumps where I work and if I'm not very careful I can easily scrape my ABT snow plough.

Annoyingly when my van was converted they didn't check the tyre pressures on my ABT wheels, all 4 wheels only had 30psi in them. This meant that going over speed bumps was grounding me out and it's clonked my nose out of joint, it's gone back today to have it all clipped back in and a couple of scrapes blown over at the same time.

I've been running 55psi since I first noticed they were under-inflated and it's not grounding out as much now. Very annoying and I told the converters they can pick up the tab for the nose job and paint, circa £200ish.

So drive your van without alignment for a few hundred miles, and risk excessive wear on tyres? This isn’t correct. Better to do it straight away and recheck if your worried. Never had any alignment issues further down the line.

This is the problem with modifications, the advice seems to vary from one installer to another.

Hi all ,
Quick update for anyone thinking off b14 suspension. If you can spare the extra money it’s a great purchase.van looks so much better and rides very well considering how much lower it now sits . It’s firmer over pot holes etc but in general it’s very good.However it’s still a van and not a luxury car like my x5 I just sold so as long as expectations are realistic it’s a very good purchase.

hi all,
Finally getting b14 fitted tomorrow at van style,couldn’t resist the free fitting service.Does anyone know what the max I can drop without sacrificing quality of ride too much . I think I read somewhere before that 10mm from the max lowest setting is a good place to start . Thanks
Vanstyle fitted mine, from memory they were 10mm from max at rear and max at front. I’m on 20s. Ride quality is great, I don’t feel the bumps more than the standard setup

Edit - to clarify I am fully lowered at front and 10mm from full at rear. Van still has a slight forward take that I like

I need some advice! I've recently had B14s fitted to my Caravelle and I've very happy with how the van now looks, however the ride in the back it a little too firm.

I'm not sure what height they have been set at but the gap between the rear wheels (I'm running 18s) an the wheel arch is negligible. The fronts have more of a gap. Could it be that they have been set at the same height but the extra weight in the back of the Caravelle is causing it to sit lower at the rear?

Does anyone have experience with B14s on a Caravelle? I've got one free attempt to get the settings right so I'm thinking of asking for the rear to be raised. How much of an improvement in comfort will I see per 10mm rise? I s there a point where comfort becomes noticeably better?

I'll try and get some pics up tonight.

Not a Caravelle, mine's a T32 with full Caravelle seats and rails etc. I'm running 18". Slightly higher arch gap at the back to the front. No issues at all with the ride. Not sure what it's set to though, I just left the garage to it. When it was first done I thought it was a little too high at the back but since my HiLo and Caravelle triple have been fitted I'm happy with how it looks and drives.

IMG_0210.JPG IMG_0211.JPG IMG_5894.jpg

Thanks Deaky, very interesting indeed.

Mine is a lot lower at the back. I'm basically after as much comfort as possible without spoiling the looks and I think your van still looks the bees on 18s. I may use your pics to inform the mechanic on the height I require... ;)

Just been out and measured mine. There is approximately 35mm between the top of the tyre and arch on the front and 55mm on the back :thumbsup:

Coilovers never settle.

I have had 5 sets over 3 vehicles. Not one changed. Inc the b14s.

Get alignment straight away.
This isn’t true. My T32 B14’s once adjusted will stand 10-2mm higher in the arch when down on the ground again and take a good 100 mile to settle in.

What is actually settling in?
I’ve no idea. Your asking the wrong person mate.
All I know is that I run three of these vans and they all do the same.
Jack them up and then lower them back down without doing a thing and measure the stance off the floor. All 10-12mm higher. Run them a few miles.
Back down to normal height.
Maybe ring Bilstein they might tell you.

That's not 'settling' per se.

That's just coming back to ride height after being jacked up.

Few reasons why, but suspension doesn't settle in the way you think it is.

Thanks but I’m out cthe s
That's not 'settling' per se.

That's just coming back to ride height after being jacked up.

Few reasons why, but suspension doesn't settle in the way you think it is.
Thanks
But it is settling after been jacked up.
Either way I’ll get a professional to sort my pronlemS

OK, I'm not going to argue with you.
You obviously know best.
I do know my own van mate yes. And I do know that Jacking a car up raises the suspension and it takes a few miles to settle yes. So I’m not really sure why your continuing this or jumping in with advice?

LOL, you've chipped in on a 3yr old thread claiming something is wrong with someone's statement but then can't answer why when challenged.

OK, I'm not going to argue with you.
You obviously know best.
I do know my own van mate yes. And I do know that Jacky a car up raises the suspension and it takes a few miles to settle yes. So I’m not really sure why your continuing this or jumping in with advice?
LOL, you've chipped in on a 3yr old thread claiming something is wrong with someone's statement but then can't answer why when challeng
I stated the fact that “the car doesnt need to settle” is incorrect which it is. It does need to settle. I know this because all my vans do. The car does need to settle when it’s been jacked or wheels off. It’s simple. I really don’t understand your problem.

I do know my own van mate yes. And I do know that Jacking a car up raises the suspension and it takes a few miles to settle yes. So I’m not really sure why your continuing this or jumping in with advice?
You've gone from 100 miles to a few, in a 'few posts'. FWIW if they take a good 100mile to settle down I would suggest you have a problem with the suspension.

Back